From: Bob <recbo@nishanet.com>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:03:42 -0500	[thread overview]

Craig Bradney wrote:

>Then again.. returned to konsole to run dmesg.. bang.. dead.
>
>This is ALL over the place
>
>Craig
>
>On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 21:41, Craig Bradney wrote:
>

>>The biggest problem is we are getting very different results here
>>(understatement!).
>>
>>I'm running UDMA 133 on round 80w cables

Pre-emptive kernel, apic lapic, anticipatory scheduling,
udma133 on round cables, four ide drives linux softw
raid0 on a 3ware card, two cd's on the onboard
amd controller. I can copy from my cd to my cdr
(through pipes) with no loopback file, compile kernel
while copying /usr/src/linux between partitions, htdig
index hundreds of megs while slicing and dicing
something else. The sound works.

Before a bios flash I had problems with anything
involving the pci bus(fsck, cp, compile, wav to mp3)
though not necessarily ide, and onboard amd ide was
much more stable. Now I am only lacking the usb and
onboard ethernet. Even though I have a dozen unused
interrupts, bios stupidly puts two or three things on one
interrupt and says "IRQ7 Disabled" if I turn on the ethernet
onboard chip. nforce2 ethernet is actually an intel chip, and
linux has a driver, but it doesn't work for me.

1) Bios update made cmos apic kernel ioapic lapic work,
probably due to new id info but the bios site doc does
not say ANYTHING, sorry!

2) Despite a dozen unused interrupts, two or more
agp and pci cards are assigned to the same interrupt,
which might cause problems. Stubborn-ness displayed
in assigning two or three cards including agp to the
same interrupt when a dozen irq's are free just might
be a sign of pseudo-idealogy displacing logic. Why
push it with agp8 and four hard drives on one irq,
or four hard drives and 802.11 and ethernet on one?
Why have 21 irq's but foot-binding to size 5 fits all?