* How to send an IP packet from the kernel
@ 2003-12-15  2:11 Dmytro Bablinyuk
From: Dmytro Bablinyuk @ 2003-12-15  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a dstaddr, srcaddr and the actual data(payload). I need to load
IP packet with data(payload) and send the packet out to the net through
eth0 .
How do I do this from the kernel?

Thank you

* Re: How to send an IP packet from the kernel
@ 2003-12-15  2:31 ` William Stearns
From: William Stearns @ 2003-12-15  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmytro Bablinyuk; +Cc: ML-linux-kernel, William Stearns

Good morning, Dmytro,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Dmytro Bablinyuk wrote:

> I have a dstaddr, srcaddr and the actual data(payload). I need to load
> IP packet with data(payload) and send the packet out to the net through
> eth0 .
> How do I do this from the kernel?

	Why not do it from userspace, with lots of available tools (
http://www.stearns.org/doc/pcap-apps.html ,
http://www.stearns.org/netreply )?
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Vi has two modes; the one in which it beeps and the one in
which it doesn't."
	-- Alan Cox
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org
Linux articles at:                         http://www.opensourcedigest.com

* Re: How to send an IP packet from the kernel
@ 2003-12-15  2:38   ` Dmytro Bablinyuk
From: Dmytro Bablinyuk @ 2003-12-15  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Stearns; +Cc: linux-kernel

>>I have a dstaddr, srcaddr and the actual data(payload). I need to load
>>IP packet with data(payload) and send the packet out to the net through
>>eth0 .
>>How do I do this from the kernel?
>>

>	Why not do it from userspace, with lots of available tools (
>http://www.stearns.org/doc/pcap-apps.html ,
>http://www.stearns.org/netreply )?

For reasons that the driver will do extra stuff on this data and this
data not always will be/must be available to a user space app.
Some data will be available only inside of the driver. No other
processing out of the driver for that data is allowed.

* Re: How to send an IP packet from the kernel
@ 2003-12-16  6:11     ` Joshua Schmidlkofer
From: Joshua Schmidlkofer @ 2003-12-16  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 07:38, Dmytro Bablinyuk wrote:
> >>I have a dstaddr, srcaddr and the actual data(payload). I need to load
> >>IP packet with data(payload) and send the packet out to the net through
> >>eth0 .
> >>How do I do this from the kernel?
> >>

> >	Why not do it from userspace, with lots of available tools (
> >http://www.stearns.org/doc/pcap-apps.html ,
> >http://www.stearns.org/netreply )?
> >

> For reasons that the driver will do extra stuff on this data and this
> data not always will be/must be available to a user space app.
> Some data will be available only inside of the driver. No other
> processing out of the driver for that data is allowed.

You trying to back door a driver or something?   You might look at AFS
kernel modules. http://www.openafs.org.  They do many things in the
kernel, and i think that some IP communications is one of them.  [But
don't quote me]

js