* Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-26 23:00 Leon Toh
From: Leon Toh @ 2003-12-26 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Merry Christmas Everyone,

I just downloaded full source code of linux-2.6.0 to start doing some work
and testing of  Adaptec/DPT I2O controller's. This is when I happen to
notice Adapec/DPT I2O option have been omitted from Linux Kernel 2.6.0
Configuration tool.

Typically this option is located in *Device Drivers -> SCSI device support
-> SCSI low-level drivers*. Furthermore it is also not listed in *Device
Drivers -> I2O device support* also. And the driver source (dpti2o) is
residing in /drivers/scsi.

Please advice how should I than go about in hacking Linux 2.6.0 Kernel
Configuration tool to include Adaptec/DPT I2O support ?

Also any reason for the Adaptec/DPT I2O option being omitted out from Linux
Kernel configuration tool  ? Or is it just happen to be accidental ? Will
this be option made available in the next release or pre-release of 2.6
kernel than ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Leon

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel  Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-29  0:15 ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-12-29  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon Toh wrote:

> Merry Christmas Everyone,
>
> I just downloaded full source code of linux-2.6.0 to start doing some
> work and testing of  Adaptec/DPT I2O controller's. This is when I happen
> to notice Adapec/DPT I2O option have been omitted from Linux Kernel
> 2.6.0 Configuration tool.
>
> Typically this option is located in *Device Drivers -> SCSI device
> support -> SCSI low-level drivers*. Furthermore it is also not listed in
> *Device Drivers -> I2O device support* also. And the driver source
> (dpti2o) is residing in /drivers/scsi.
>
> Please advice how should I than go about in hacking Linux 2.6.0 Kernel
> Configuration tool to include Adaptec/DPT I2O support ?
>
> Also any reason for the Adaptec/DPT I2O option being omitted out from
> Linux Kernel configuration tool  ? Or is it just happen to be accidental
> ? Will this be option made available in the next release or pre-release
> of 2.6 kernel than ?

   The DPT I2O driver was never converted to the new driver model.  The
driver from what I can see is a mess.  It doesn't even compile in 2.4
for a number of archs like amd64.

   A while back  a bunch of people (including myself) raised the concern
through various channels with adaptec.  In theroy someone at adaptec is
working on it, but there was not an ETA.

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel  Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-29 10:16   ` Leon Toh
From: Leon Toh @ 2003-12-29 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

  At 11:15 AM 29/12/2003, Samuel Flory wrote:
>Leon Toh wrote:
>
>>Merry Christmas Everyone,
>>I just downloaded full source code of linux-2.6.0 to start doing some
>>work and testing of  Adaptec/DPT I2O controller's. This is when I happen
>>to notice Adapec/DPT I2O option have been omitted from Linux Kernel 2.6.0
>>Configuration tool.
>>Typically this option is located in *Device Drivers -> SCSI device
>>support -> SCSI low-level drivers*. Furthermore it is also not listed in
>>*Device Drivers -> I2O device support* also. And the driver source
>>(dpti2o) is residing in /drivers/scsi.
>>Please advice how should I than go about in hacking Linux 2.6.0 Kernel
>>Configuration tool to include Adaptec/DPT I2O support ?
>>Also any reason for the Adaptec/DPT I2O option being omitted out from
>>Linux Kernel configuration tool  ? Or is it just happen to be accidental
>>? Will this be option made available in the next release or pre-release
>>of 2.6 kernel than ?
>
>   The DPT I2O driver was never converted to the new driver model.  The
> driver from what I can see is a mess.

How broken is the driver than ? What are the implication's if the driver is
left as it is for now ?

>It doesn't even compile in 2.4 for a number of archs like amd64.

This driver was initially intended only for i386 arch. Furthermore at that
time when this driver was finalized amd64 wasn't available.

>   A while back  a bunch of people (including myself) raised the concern
> through various channels with adaptec.  In theroy someone at adaptec is
> working on it, but there was not an ETA.

If you have happen to have a list of issues with this current driver
together with supporting information to back up those claims, please
forward them to so that I can escalate those issues into Adaptec via the
appropriate communication channel. I happen to have a number of contact's
within Adaptec myself.

By the way I've hack the script file to make Adaptec I2O Option to appear
in Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration tool. Currently I'm now in the middle
of recompiling the kernel using current dpti2o driver support but haven't
got to the dpti2o driver yet.

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel  Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-29 11:40     ` David Lang
From: David Lang @ 2003-12-29 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Leon Toh wrote:

> By the way I've hack the script file to make Adaptec I2O Option to appear
> in Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration tool. Currently I'm now in the middle
> of recompiling the kernel using current dpti2o driver support but haven't
> got to the dpti2o driver yet.

did you doublecheck that it wasn't just blocked by not choosing to allow
you to compile known broken drivers?

David Lang

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel   Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-29 18:25     ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-12-29 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon Toh wrote:
>  At 11:15 AM 29/12/2003, Samuel Flory wrote:
>

> How broken is the driver than ? What are the implication's if the driver
> is left as it is for now ?

   It doesn't compile at all.  If it's not fixed your only other option
is the generic i2o driver.

>> It doesn't even compile in 2.4 for a number of archs like amd64.
>

> This driver was initially intended only for i386 arch. Furthermore at
> that time when this driver was finalized amd64 wasn't available.

   My point is that the driver isn't very portable.

>>   A while back  a bunch of people (including myself) raised the
>> concern through various channels with adaptec.  In theroy someone at
>> adaptec is working on it, but there was not an ETA.
>

> If you have happen to have a list of issues with this current driver
> together with supporting information to back up those claims, please
> forward them to so that I can escalate those issues into Adaptec via the
> appropriate communication channel. I happen to have a number of
> contact's within Adaptec myself.
>
> By the way I've hack the script file to make Adaptec I2O Option to
> appear in Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration tool. Currently I'm now in
> the middle of recompiling the kernel using current dpti2o driver support
> but haven't got to the dpti2o driver yet.

   You might want to hold off on doing a lot of work for a bit.  I think
there was a beta driver that was being passed around.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel   Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-29 18:32       ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-12-29 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Flory wrote:

>   You might want to hold off on doing a lot of work for a bit.  I think
> there was a beta driver that was being passed around.

   FYI I've found a beta release of the dpt-i2o driver that someone sent
me.  I'll see if I can figure out what the current status of it.

--

@ 2003-12-30  3:32         ` Go Taniguchi
From: Go Taniguchi @ 2003-12-30  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just FYI.

This is my patch.
http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~go/patch-2.6/dpt_i2o.patch

Worked fine for me on quad xeon with 4G mem and 64bit PCI.
It include.
- Support 2.6 kernel and DMA-mapping
- ioctl fix for raid tools
- use schedule_timeout in long long loop
- not support 64bit CPU yet.

However, It may differ from the Adaptec policy (linux-scsi ML).

@ 2003-12-30  4:46       ` Leon Toh
From: Leon Toh @ 2003-12-30  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 05:25 AM 30/12/2003, Samuel Flory wrote:
>Leon Toh wrote:
>>  At 11:15 AM 29/12/2003, Samuel Flory wrote:
>>
>>How broken is the driver than ? What are the implication's if the driver
>>is left as it is for now ?
>
>   It doesn't compile at all.  If it's not fixed your only other option is
> the generic i2o driver.

Using generic I2O driver is definitely an option for now especially for
those who wants to immediately jump onto the 2.6 bandwagon. However the
down site with this is we can't use an of the available Management
utilities for the card.

Now which is better is not for me to comment on. I shall leave it to others
to decide for their own as to which is suitable for their environment.

>>>It doesn't even compile in 2.4 for a number of archs like amd64.
>>
>>This driver was initially intended only for i386 arch. Furthermore at
>>that time when this driver was finalized amd64 wasn't available.
>
>   My point is that the driver isn't very portable.

Oh.... I see.

>>>   A while back  a bunch of people (including myself) raised the concern
>>> through various channels with adaptec.  In theroy someone at adaptec is
>>> working on it, but there was not an ETA.
>>
>>If you have happen to have a list of issues with this current driver
>>together with supporting information to back up those claims, please
>>forward them to so that I can escalate those issues into Adaptec via the
>>appropriate communication channel. I happen to have a number of contact's
>>within Adaptec myself.
>>By the way I've hack the script file to make Adaptec I2O Option to appear
>>in Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration tool. Currently I'm now in the middle
>>of recompiling the kernel using current dpti2o driver support but haven't
>>got to the dpti2o driver yet.
>
>   You might want to hold off on doing a lot of work for a bit.  I think
> there was a beta driver that was being passed around.

I can now officially report that the dpt_i2o driver embedded in kernel
2.6.0 is broken. I'll highlight and bring this up through my contacts back
at Adaptec. And hopefully we than can get some kind of official resolution
soon.

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-30  5:15       ` Leon Toh
From: Leon Toh @ 2003-12-30  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:40 PM 29/12/2003, David Lang wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Leon Toh wrote:
>
> > By the way I've hack the script file to make Adaptec I2O Option to appear
> > in Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration tool. Currently I'm now in the middle
> > of recompiling the kernel using current dpti2o driver support but haven't
> > got to the dpti2o driver yet.
>
>did you doublecheck that it wasn't just blocked by not choosing to allow
>you to compile known broken drivers?

The driver is broken anyway. Will have a case open up and escalated.

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel   Configuration Tool
@ 2003-12-30 23:02           ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-12-30 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Go Taniguchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just FYI.
>
> This is my patch.
> http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~go/patch-2.6/dpt_i2o.patch
>
> Worked fine for me on quad xeon with 4G mem and 64bit PCI.
> It include.
> - Support 2.6 kernel and DMA-mapping
> - ioctl fix for raid tools
> - use schedule_timeout in long long loop
> - not support 64bit CPU yet.
>
> However, It may differ from the Adaptec policy (linux-scsi ML).

   Different aproaches but both seem to hit the same areas in the code.

> Samuel Flory wrote:
>
>> Samuel Flory wrote:
>>

>>>   You might want to hold off on doing a lot of work for a bit.  I
>>> think there was a beta driver that was being passed around.
>>>

>>   FYI I've found a beta release of the dpt-i2o driver that someone
>> sent me.  I'll see if I can figure out what the current status of it.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.
(The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
Sam Flory  <sflory@rackable.com>

[-- Attachment #2: vsadaptec.diff.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 23709 bytes --]

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration Tool
@ 2004-01-02 22:36               ` Leon Toh
From: Leon Toh @ 2004-01-02 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:02 PM 2/01/2004, Andi Kleen wrote:
>Leon Toh <tltoh@attglobal.net> writes:
>
> > At this point of time I think fixing this driver for 32bit
> > architecture now is far more important than addressing 64bit
> > architecture, don't you agree Andi ?
>
>Unclear. The number of 2.4/AMD64 users tripping over this might
>be not much smaller than the number of early 2.6 adopter 32bit users.

Ok. So far I have not had anyone requesting for 64 bit Linux OS HBA
support. However I'm getting more request for 2.6 32 bit support as they
are starting development with it. Might be different in your part of world.

I'm not a programmer myself so I'm not sure how involved it would be to
tidy the driver up. If it's only a couple of additional lines than it can
be address at the same time. But if that's not the case than I think
Adaptec should tidy up the 32 bit support before working on 64 bit support.
Last I want to see is a complete buggy driver release due to a complete
rewrite of the driver for 32 and 64 bit support.

       [not found]           ` <19lcU-64y-19@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2004-01-02  2:02             ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2004-01-02  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Toh; +Cc: linux-kernel

Leon Toh <tltoh@attglobal.net> writes:

> I totally agree with you. However at the time when this driver was
> written it was only intended for Intel i386 base architecture. And
> furthermore AMD64 wasn't even available at that stage.

But other 64bit architectures were like IA64. It was very short sightened,
especially since it doesn't require much effort to write 64bit clean
code from the beginning.

> At this point of time I think fixing this driver for 32bit
> architecture now is far more important than addressing 64bit
> architecture, don't you agree Andi ?

Unclear. The number of 2.4/AMD64 users tripping over this might
be not much smaller than the number of early 2.6 adopter 32bit users.

-Andi

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration Tool
@ 2004-01-02  0:08           ` Leon Toh
From: Leon Toh @ 2004-01-02  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-12-30 22:42 Leon Toh
From: Leon Toh @ 2003-12-30 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Go,

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot.

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:32:51 +0900
From: Go Taniguchi <go@turbolinux.co.jp>
Subject: Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0
Kernel   Configuration
  Tool

Samuel Flory wrote:
 > Samuel Flory wrote:
 >

 >>   You might want to hold off on doing a lot of work for a bit.  I
 >> think there was a beta driver that was being passed around.
 >>

 >   FYI I've found a beta release of the dpt-i2o driver that someone sent
 > me.  I'll see if I can figure out what the current status of it.

-

* Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel   Configuration Tool
       [not found]       ` <18jZB-4VF-19@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2003-12-30  5:19         ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2003-12-30  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Toh; +Cc: linux-kernel