* KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
@ 2021-07-27 15:54 Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2021-07-27 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci; +Cc: kernelci-members, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc

Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
While other things are arguably even more important, such as
testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
while.

There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
this gap.

The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
governing board.

In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
still need formal confirmation.

Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:

  https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4

I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:

  https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones

This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
this effort in any other way.

Best wishes,
Guillaume

[1] https://foundation.kernelci.org/blog/2020/07/09/kernelci-community-survey-report/

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
@ 2021-07-27 15:58 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-07-27 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members; +Cc: kernelci, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 04:54:46PM +0100, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
> Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
> having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
> one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
> While other things are arguably even more important, such as
> testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
> and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
> workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
> while.
>
> There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
> Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
> single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
> solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
> the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
> web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
> into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
> who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
> such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
> this gap.
>
> The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
> to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
> Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
> who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
> facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
> governing board.
>
> In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
> people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
> lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
> weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
> Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
> still need formal confirmation.
>

> Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
>
>   https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
>
> I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
> stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
>
>   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
>

> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
> this effort in any other way.

How do we "join" the working group?  I'm willing to help out from the
"user who will use this a lot and complain about things that do not
work well" point of view :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group:  Web Dashboard
@ 2021-07-27 16:34   ` Gustavo Padovan
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2021-07-27 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members; +Cc: kernelci, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc

Hi Greg,

On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 12:58 -03, "Greg KH" <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 04:54:46PM +0100, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
> > Last year's KernelCI Community Survey[1] showed the importance of
> > having a good web dashboard.  About 70% of respondents would use
> > one if it provided the information they needed efficiently.
> > While other things are arguably even more important, such as
> > testing patches from mailing lists, replying to stable reviews
> > and sending email reports directly to contributors in a "natural"
> > workflow, the web dashboard has been a sticking point for a
> > while.
> >
> > There have been several attempts at solving this problem, using
> > Elastic Stack and Grafana among other things, but there isn't a
> > single framework able to directly provide an off-the-shelf
> > solution to the community's needs.  In fact, the first issue is
> > the lack of understanding of these needs: who wants to use the
> > web dashboard, and how?  Then, how does one translate those needs
> > into a user interface?  Doing this requires skills that engineers
> > who regularly contribute to KernelCI typically don't have.  As
> > such, a dedicated working group is being created in order to fill
> > this gap.
> >
> > The aim is to coordinate efforts and try to follow best practices
> > to make steady progress and avoid repeating the same mistakes.
> > Most likely, we will need some help from proper web developers
> > who aren't part of the usual KernelCI community.  This may be
> > facilitated by the KernelCI LF project budget if approved by the
> > governing board.
> >
> > In order to get started, we would need to have maybe 3 to 5
> > people available to focus on this.  It doesn't necessarily mean a
> > lot of hours spent but actions to be carried out on a daily or
> > weekly basis.  So far we have Gustavo Padovan as our new KernelCI
> > Project Manager and a few people have expressed interest but we
> > still need formal confirmation.
> >

> > Here's a GitHub project dedicated to the new web dashboard:
> >
> >   https://github.com/orgs/kernelci/projects/4
> >
> > I've created a couple of issues to get started about user
> > stories, and some initial milestones as a basic skeleton:
> >
> >   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/milestones
> >

> > This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
> > of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
> > on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
> > expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
> > this effort in any other way.
>
> How do we "join" the working group?  I'm willing to help out from the
> "user who will use this a lot and complain about things that do not
> work well" point of view :)

Congratulations! You are now part of the working group. :) For now, anyone that is interested can step up, and maybe in a few weeks we can formalize with those who wants to take on the journey together with us in this working group.

Based on the replies to this thread I can put together an initial agenda and follow up with the potential times for a kick-off meeting.

Regards,

Gustavo

* Re: [kernelci-members] KernelCI working group: Web Dashboard
       [not found] <1695B2FF4ECA569A.21772@groups.io>
@ 2021-10-05 13:20 ` Gustavo Padovan
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2021-10-05 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci-members; +Cc: kernelci, automated-testing, linux-kernel, kernelci-tsc

On 7/27/21 13:34, Gustavo Padovan wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> This is ultimately a community-driven effort to address the needs
>>> of the kernel community.  Please share any thoughts you may have
>>> on this, whether you want to add some user stories, share some
>>> expertise, be officially in the working group or take part in
>>> this effort in any other way.
>> How do we "join" the working group?  I'm willing to help out from the
>> "user who will use this a lot and complain about things that do not
>> work well" point of view :)
> Congratulations! You are now part of the working group. :) For now, anyone that is interested can step up, and maybe in a few weeks we can formalize with those who wants to take on the journey together with us in this working group.
>
> Based on the replies to this thread I can put together an initial agenda and follow up with the potential times for a kick-off meeting.

Here's a poll with some proposed times for us to schedule the first
meeting next week: https://doodle.com/poll/pbhpeu5cbxp49ghz

Please reply to it ASAP.

Regards,

Gustavo