* lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
@ 2004-03-08 19:16 markw
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: markw @ 2004-03-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm; +Cc: linux-kernel

I've started collecting various data (including oprofile) using our
DBT-2 (OLTP) workload with lvm2 on linux 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on ia32 and
ia64 platforms:
	http://developer.osdl.org/markw/lvm2/

So far I've only varied the stripe width with lvm, from 8 KB to 512 KB,
for PostgreSQL that is using 8 KB sized blocks with ext2.  It appears
that a stripe width of 16 KB through 128KB on the ia64 system gives the
best throughput for the DBT-2 workload on a volume that should be doing
mostly sequential writes.

I'm going to run through more tests varying the block size that
PostgreSQL uses, but I wanted to share what I had so far in case there
were other suggestions or recommendations.

--
Mark Wong - - markw@osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation

* Re: lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
@ 2004-03-08 19:46 ` Miquel van Smoorenburg
From: Miquel van Smoorenburg @ 2004-03-08 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <200403081916.i28JGgE25794@mail.osdl.org>,
 <markw@osdl.org> wrote:
>I've started collecting various data (including oprofile) using our
>DBT-2 (OLTP) workload with lvm2 on linux 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on ia32 and
>ia64 platforms:
>	http://developer.osdl.org/markw/lvm2/

For write-heavy loads, you might want to see if 2.6.4-rc2-mm1 makes
any difference. It fixes a case where both pdflush and a writing
process itself would queue writes to an LVM device, resulting in
less than optimal I/O ordering for some cases. The fix will probably
be in 2.6.4 proper as well.

Mike.

* Re: lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
@ 2004-03-08 22:01 ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-03-08 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004, markw@osdl.org wrote:

> I've started collecting various data (including oprofile) using our
> DBT-2 (OLTP) workload with lvm2 on linux 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on ia32 and
> ia64 platforms:
> 	http://developer.osdl.org/markw/lvm2/
>
> So far I've only varied the stripe width with lvm, from 8 KB to 512 KB,
> for PostgreSQL that is using 8 KB sized blocks with ext2.  It appears

Does ext2 write 8 KByte sized blocks atomically on IA32?

Or is this no requirement for PostgreSQL consistency?

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
@ 2004-03-11 22:12 ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2004-03-11 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: markw; +Cc: linux-lvm, linux-kernel

markw@osdl.org wrote:
> I've started collecting various data (including oprofile) using our
> DBT-2 (OLTP) workload with lvm2 on linux 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on ia32 and
> ia64 platforms:
> 	http://developer.osdl.org/markw/lvm2/
>
> So far I've only varied the stripe width with lvm, from 8 KB to 512 KB,
> for PostgreSQL that is using 8 KB sized blocks with ext2.  It appears
> that a stripe width of 16 KB through 128KB on the ia64 system gives the
> best throughput for the DBT-2 workload on a volume that should be doing
> mostly sequential writes.
>
> I'm going to run through more tests varying the block size that
> PostgreSQL uses, but I wanted to share what I had so far in case there
> were other suggestions or recommendations.

Here's one thought: look at the i/o rates on individual drives using
each stripe size. You *might* see that one size does far fewer seeks
than others, which is a secondary thing to optimize after throughput IMHO.

If you don't have a tool for this I can send you the latest diorate
which does stuff like this, io rate perdrive or per partition, something
I occasionally find revealing.

		-bill

* Re: lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
@ 2004-03-11 22:25   ` Mark Wong
From: Mark Wong @ 2004-03-11 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen; +Cc: linux-lvm, linux-kernel

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 05:12:35PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> markw@osdl.org wrote:
> > I've started collecting various data (including oprofile) using our
> > DBT-2 (OLTP) workload with lvm2 on linux 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 on ia32 and
> > ia64 platforms:
> > 	http://developer.osdl.org/markw/lvm2/
> >
> > So far I've only varied the stripe width with lvm, from 8 KB to 512 KB,
> > for PostgreSQL that is using 8 KB sized blocks with ext2.  It appears
> > that a stripe width of 16 KB through 128KB on the ia64 system gives the
> > best throughput for the DBT-2 workload on a volume that should be doing
> > mostly sequential writes.
> >
> > I'm going to run through more tests varying the block size that
> > PostgreSQL uses, but I wanted to share what I had so far in case there
> > were other suggestions or recommendations.
> >
> Here's one thought: look at the i/o rates on individual drives using
> each stripe size. You *might* see that one size does far fewer seeks
> than others, which is a secondary thing to optimize after throughput IMHO.
>
> If you don't have a tool for this I can send you the latest diorate
> which does stuff like this, io rate perdrive or per partition, something
> I occasionally find revealing.

Yeah, please do send me a copy.  I'd be interested to see what that might
turn up.  I've just been using iostat -x so far.

Thanks,
Mark

* Re: [linux-lvm] Re: lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
@ 2004-03-11 23:01     ` Chris Croswhite
From: Chris Croswhite @ 2004-03-11 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm; +Cc: Bill Davidsen, linux-kernel

Is this generally available to all?  Where can it be had?

TIA

@ 2004-03-14 14:02       ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2004-03-14 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csc; +Cc: linux-lvm, linux-kernel

Chris Croswhite wrote:
> Is this generally available to all?  Where can it be had?

I stuck it on the page I use to avoid beating my fractional T1 to death.
   http://pages.prodigy.net/davidsen/diorate.pl

Enjoy, any misfeatures please feed back to me.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
   CTO TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: lvm2 performance data with linux-2.6
@ 2004-03-16 21:42     ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2004-03-16 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <20040311142515.A27177@osdlab.pdx.osdl.net>,
Mark Wong  <markw@osdl.org> wrote:
| On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 05:12:35PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

| > Here's one thought: look at the i/o rates on individual drives using
| > each stripe size. You *might* see that one size does far fewer seeks
| > than others, which is a secondary thing to optimize after throughput IMHO.
| >
| > If you don't have a tool for this I can send you the latest diorate
| > which does stuff like this, io rate perdrive or per partition, something
| > I occasionally find revealing.
|
| Yeah, please do send me a copy.  I'd be interested to see what that might
| turn up.  I've just been using iostat -x so far.

Okay, I posted the pointer a few days ago to LKML, did you get a chance
to try it? And if so, did it tell you anything?
--

@ 2004-03-16 23:17       ` markw
From: markw @ 2004-03-16 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidsen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 16 Mar, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <20040311142515.A27177@osdlab.pdx.osdl.net>,
> Mark Wong  <markw@osdl.org> wrote:
> | On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 05:12:35PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
> | > Here's one thought: look at the i/o rates on individual drives using
> | > each stripe size. You *might* see that one size does far fewer seeks
> | > than others, which is a secondary thing to optimize after throughput IMHO.
> | >
> | > If you don't have a tool for this I can send you the latest diorate
> | > which does stuff like this, io rate perdrive or per partition, something
> | > I occasionally find revealing.
> |
> | Yeah, please do send me a copy.  I'd be interested to see what that might
> | turn up.  I've just been using iostat -x so far.
>
> Okay, I posted the pointer a few days ago to LKML, did you get a chance
> to try it? And if so, did it tell you anything?

I've grabbed it but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Hopefully
later today or tomorrow.

Mark