* Clocks stopped drifting!  What happaned?
@ 2004-11-24 19:39 Timothy Miller
From: Timothy Miller @ 2004-11-24 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

It used to be that on every computer where I was using Linux, the clocks
would drift really badly.  After a few weeks, they'd all be fast by as
much as 30 minutes, and it got to be annoying to have to periodically
reset the time.  For instance, this was the case for both a Dell with a
1.8GHz Pentium 4 and for a home-built PC with an Athlon XP 2800+ (via
KT400 chipset).

I just realized that since I upgraded to 2.6.9, that problem has gone
away.  I'm not using NTP, but my clocks are suddenly reliable.

What happened?

* Re: Clocks stopped drifting!  What happaned?
@ 2004-11-25  1:02 ` john stultz
From: john stultz @ 2004-11-25  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 11:39, Timothy Miller wrote:
> It used to be that on every computer where I was using Linux, the clocks
> would drift really badly.  After a few weeks, they'd all be fast by as
> much as 30 minutes, and it got to be annoying to have to periodically
> reset the time.  For instance, this was the case for both a Dell with a
> 1.8GHz Pentium 4 and for a home-built PC with an Athlon XP 2800+ (via
> KT400 chipset).
>
> I just realized that since I upgraded to 2.6.9, that problem has gone
> away.  I'm not using NTP, but my clocks are suddenly reliable.
>
> What happened?

I'd be interested if you could narrow down the release where you saw the
change. ie: Does 2.6.8.1 have the problem, or 2.6.7?

My suspicion is the ACPI irq routing changes might have fixed it.

thanks
-john