* Re: 2.6.9 tcp problems
@ 2004-11-29 19:44 kernel
From: kernel @ 2004-11-29 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:03:34 -0500
> kernel <kernel@nea-fast.com> wrote:
>

>> I've run into a problem with 2.6.(8.1,9) after installing a secondary
>> firewall. When I try to pull data through the original firewall
>> (mail, http, ssh), it stops after approx. 260k. Running ethereal
>> tells me "A segment before the frame was lost" followed by a bunch
>> of  "This is a TCP duplicate ack" when using ssh. All 2.4.x machines
>> and windows clients work fine. I built 2.4.28 and it works fine from
>> my machine. I also fiddled with tcp_ecn and that didn't fix it
>> either. I don't have any problems communicating to "local" machines.
>> I've attached the tcpdump output from an scp attempt. NIC is a 3Com
>> Corporation 3c905B.
>>

> What kind of firewall?  There are firewalls that are too stupid and don't
> understand TCP window scaling.

It's a fortigate 60.  We put our secure web servers behind a netscreen 5
firewall which plugs into the fortigate and that's when the problems
started.  I remember reading some stuff on lkm about recent tcp changes
but I couldn't remember exactly what it was. Thanks for reminding me !

Here is how it's layed out now
secure_web_servers->netscreen->fortigate->rest_of_network

Thanks !
walt

* Re: 2.6.9 tcp problems
@ 2004-12-01 14:11 ` Mark Watts
From: Mark Watts @ 2004-12-01 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: kernel

* Re: 2.6.9 tcp problems
@ 2004-11-30 15:44 ` John Heffner
From: John Heffner @ 2004-11-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel; +Cc: netdev, linux-kernel

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, kernel wrote:

> I've run into a problem with 2.6.(8.1,9) after installing a secondary
> firewall. When I try to pull data through the original firewall (mail,
> http, ssh), it stops after approx. 260k. Running ethereal tells me "A
> segment before the frame was lost" followed by a bunch of  "This is a
> TCP duplicate ack" when using ssh. All 2.4.x machines and windows
> clients work fine. I built 2.4.28 and it works fine from my machine. I
> also fiddled with tcp_ecn and that didn't fix it either. I don't have
> any problems communicating to "local" machines. I've attached the
> tcpdump output from an scp attempt. NIC is a 3Com Corporation 3c905B.

Try `echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling'.  If this makes it
work, it's almost certainly a buggy firewall.

Also, tcpdumps are far more useful if they are binary (tcpdump -w) and
capture the beginning of the connection.

  -John

* Re: 2.6.9 tcp problems
@ 2004-11-30  6:43 ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2004-11-30  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel; +Cc: netdev, linux-kernel

It is possible that the autoneg code has changed between 2.4 and 2.6
for the interface connected to the current firewall, and that you lose
packets because of a duplex mismatch. Please check the negociation
with ethtool on your system, and do so on the other firewall.

Regards,
willy

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 01:03:34PM -0500, kernel wrote:
> I've run into a problem with 2.6.(8.1,9) after installing a secondary
> firewall. When I try to pull data through the original firewall (mail,
> http, ssh), it stops after approx. 260k. Running ethereal tells me "A
> segment before the frame was lost" followed by a bunch of  "This is a
> TCP duplicate ack" when using ssh. All 2.4.x machines and windows
> clients work fine. I built 2.4.28 and it works fine from my machine. I
> also fiddled with tcp_ecn and that didn't fix it either. I don't have
> any problems communicating to "local" machines. I've attached the
> tcpdump output from an scp attempt. NIC is a 3Com Corporation 3c905B.
>
> Thanks !
> walt

* Re: 2.6.9 tcp problems
@ 2004-11-29 18:35 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2004-11-29 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:03:34 -0500
kernel <kernel@nea-fast.com> wrote:

> I've run into a problem with 2.6.(8.1,9) after installing a secondary
> firewall. When I try to pull data through the original firewall (mail,
> http, ssh), it stops after approx. 260k. Running ethereal tells me "A
> segment before the frame was lost" followed by a bunch of  "This is a
> TCP duplicate ack" when using ssh. All 2.4.x machines and windows
> clients work fine. I built 2.4.28 and it works fine from my machine. I
> also fiddled with tcp_ecn and that didn't fix it either. I don't have
> any problems communicating to "local" machines. I've attached the
> tcpdump output from an scp attempt. NIC is a 3Com Corporation 3c905B.

What kind of firewall?  There are firewalls that are too stupid and don't
understand TCP window scaling.

* 2.6.9 tcp problems
@ 2004-11-29 18:03 kernel
                   ` (2 more replies)