* A new home for LDD2
@ 2004-12-02 21:47 Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2004-12-02 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The Second Edition of Linux Device Drivers is about to drop out of the
O'Reilly catalog.  When that happens, it is also possible that O'Reilly
will lose interest in hosting the free version of the book.  To help
ensure that LDD2 remains available, I've put a copy onto the LWN server:

	http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD2/

I'll happily keep it there as long as it's useful.

jon

P.S.  LDD3?  Februaryish.

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net
corbet@lwn.net

* Re: A new home for LDD2
@ 2004-12-02 23:09 ` Karim Yaghmour
From: Karim Yaghmour @ 2004-12-02 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> 	http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD2/

Old as it is, LDD2 remains a good starting point. Thanks for
making sure it contines to be available.

> P.S.  LDD3?  Februaryish.

Very much looking forward to get my hands on one of these.
Meanwhile, I was wondering whether it would have similar
licensing/availability as LDD2.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits

* Re: A new home for LDD2
@ 2004-12-02 23:23 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2004-12-02 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Iau, 2004-12-02 at 21:47, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> The Second Edition of Linux Device Drivers is about to drop out of the
> O'Reilly catalog.  When that happens, it is also possible that O'Reilly
> will lose interest in hosting the free version of the book.  To help
> ensure that LDD2 remains available, I've put a copy onto the LWN server:
>
> 	http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD2/
>
> I'll happily keep it there as long as it's useful.

Perhaps the OSDL document archive would like to make a copy of it ?

* Re: A new home for LDD2
@ 2004-12-02 23:55   ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2004-12-02 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[Oops dropped the CC on my original reply]

Karim wrote:

> > P.S.  LDD3?  Februaryish.
>
> Very much looking forward to get my hands on one of these.
> Meanwhile, I was wondering whether it would have similar
> licensing/availability as LDD2.

Yes, LDD3 will be made available under the Creative Commons
"Attribution-Sharealike" license:

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net
corbet@lwn.net

* Re: A new home for LDD2
@ 2004-12-03  1:52   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2004-12-03  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Iau, 2004-12-02 at 21:47, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>
>>The Second Edition of Linux Device Drivers is about to drop out of the
>>O'Reilly catalog.  When that happens, it is also possible that O'Reilly
>>will lose interest in hosting the free version of the book.  To help
>>ensure that LDD2 remains available, I've put a copy onto the LWN server:
>>
>>	http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD2/
>>
>>I'll happily keep it there as long as it's useful.
>

> Perhaps the OSDL document archive would like to make a copy of it ?

I like that idea too.

--
~Randy