* Re: 2.6.10-rc3 vs clock
@ 2004-12-13 23:30 Sid Boyce
From: Sid Boyce @ 2004-12-13 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm seeing uptime 11:26pm  up 1 day 13:30 and my clock is around 190
secs fast, I don't know if this happened only at 2.6.10-rc3, but that's
when I noticed it on this XP3000+. On the x86_64 laptop also with
2.6.10-rc3, it's bang on time in uptime 5 days 2:11.
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
=====LINUX ONLY USED HERE=====

* Re: 2.6.10-rc3 vs clock
@ 2004-12-18  0:06 Sid Boyce
From: Sid Boyce @ 2004-12-18  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:

 >>    At -rc2 my clock kept fairly decent time, but -rc3 is running
fast, about 30 seconds an hour fast.

 >>    I've been using ntpdate, is that now officially deprecated?

 > Running ntpd used to keep the clock dead on, now my 2.6 systems all
drift one way or the other. I suspect that the system calls used by ntpd
 > have changed somehow, but until I find the time to look harder I
can't > say that except as conjecture.

 > The sad thing is that most of the systems have quite good hardware
clocks...

Gene Heskett suggested I play around with tickadj and I found that a
value of 9962 on this SuSE 9.2/XP3000+ has kept it rock solid over the
last 4 days. On the x86_64 laptop with XP3000+-Mobile, it's never been
out, both of them running 2.6.10-rc3 and using ntpd to keep in step. On
the other box with Mandrake 10.1/XP2800+ and 2.6.10-rc3, I had to set it
to 9958. Something has definitely changed with 2.6.10-rc3.
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
=====LINUX ONLY USED HERE=====

* 2.6.10-rc3 vs clock
@ 2004-12-04 16:11 Gene Heskett
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gene Heskett @ 2004-12-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

At -rc2 my clock kept fairly decent time, but -rc3 is running fast,
about 30 seconds an hour fast.

I've been using ntpdate, is that now officially deprecated?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)