* internal card reader support
@ 2004-12-08 18:01 Felix Dorner
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Felix Dorner @ 2004-12-08 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-laptop

Hi,

My notebook (hp nx9105) has an integrated 5in1 card-reader. I would
really like to use this with linux.
Since I do not think it is supported yet, I d like to know if it might
be possible to write a module or so for this.
I am just an average C programmer, but always wanted to dive into kernel
developement. My knowledge on computer architecture is also no more than
basic, so this might be something to really learn a lot...
So I start at zero knowledge now. First of course I need to find out if
what I want to do is possible at all.
This means now to identify the hardware inside and see if I can get
documents for that.

First I just start with:

#lspci
[...]
0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8201
(rev 01)
[...]

This is all that I have. Now I am already confused. My box has one
PCMCIA slot. Which is now the PCMCIA and which is the CardReader? What
about the third device? Might this be the integrated infrared controller?

Can you give me any hints/tips where to start best, what to read first?

I know this seems to be very difficult, but I have quite some free time
that I don't want to spend playing bzflag all night long, so I think
this is a great way to learn something.

Thanks for your advice,
Felix

* Re: internal card reader support
@ 2004-12-08 18:21 ` Dave Jones
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Jones @ 2004-12-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Dorner; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 06:01:24PM +0000, Felix Dorner wrote:
 > Hi,
 >

 > My notebook (hp nx9105) has an integrated 5in1 card-reader. I would
 > really like to use this with linux.
 > Since I do not think it is supported yet, I d like to know if it might
 > be possible to write a module or so for this.
 > I am just an average C programmer, but always wanted to dive into kernel
 > developement. My knowledge on computer architecture is also no more than
 > basic, so this might be something to really learn a lot...
 > So I start at zero knowledge now. First of course I need to find out if
 > what I want to do is possible at all.

All of these devices that I've seen use the usb-storage module.
You might need to futz with the scsi_mod module max_luns argument to make it
see all the slots though.

		Dave

* Re: internal card reader support
@ 2004-12-08 18:50 ` Jurgen Kramer
From: Jurgen Kramer @ 2004-12-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Dorner; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-laptop

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 18:01 +0000, Felix Dorner wrote:
> Hi,
>

> My notebook (hp nx9105) has an integrated 5in1 card-reader. I would
> really like to use this with linux.
> Since I do not think it is supported yet, I d like to know if it might
> be possible to write a module or so for this.
> I am just an average C programmer, but always wanted to dive into kernel
> developement. My knowledge on computer architecture is also no more than
> basic, so this might be something to really learn a lot...
> So I start at zero knowledge now. First of course I need to find out if
> what I want to do is possible at all.
> This means now to identify the hardware inside and see if I can get
> documents for that.
>
> First I just start with:
>
> #lspci
> [...]
> 0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
> 0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev 01)
> 0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8201
> (rev 01)
> [...]

Looks like the card reader is part of the PC Card chip. I have a similar
setup om my laptop. I never managed to get it working. But maybe things
changed and newer PC Card brigdes have a card reader which act as a USB
device. I have a Ricoh controller on my laptop:

00:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltfd RL5c476 II (rev 88)
00:09.1 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltfd RL5c476 II (rev 88)
00:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0576 (SD Card
reader?)

> This is all that I have. Now I am already confused. My box has one
> PCMCIA slot. Which is now the PCMCIA and which is the CardReader? What
> about the third device? Might this be the integrated infrared controller?
>
> Can you give me any hints/tips where to start best, what to read first?
>
> I know this seems to be very difficult, but I have quite some free time
> that I don't want to spend playing bzflag all night long, so I think
> this is a great way to learn something.

Jurgen

* Re: internal card reader support
@ 2004-12-08 19:21 ` David Vrabel
From: David Vrabel @ 2004-12-08 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Dorner; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-laptop

Felix Dorner wrote:

> 0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev
> 01)
> 0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev
> 01)
> 0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8201
> (rev 01)

This is a TI PCI1620.  You can get data sheets etc. from TI's website.
Not sure how much good that will do you though as it appears to require
firmware -- the 3rd function is a firmware loader interface.

David Vrabel

* Re: internal card reader support
@ 2004-12-08 20:28   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2004-12-08 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones, Felix Dorner, linux-kernel, linux-laptop

Hi!

>  > My notebook (hp nx9105) has an integrated 5in1 card-reader. I would
>  > really like to use this with linux.
>  > Since I do not think it is supported yet, I d like to know if it might
>  > be possible to write a module or so for this.
>  > I am just an average C programmer, but always wanted to dive into kernel
>  > developement. My knowledge on computer architecture is also no more than
>  > basic, so this might be something to really learn a lot...
>  > So I start at zero knowledge now. First of course I need to find out if
>  > what I want to do is possible at all.
>
> All of these devices that I've seen use the usb-storage module.
> You might need to futz with the scsi_mod module max_luns argument to make it
> see all the slots though.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. At least hp nx5000 has something
custom for reading MMC/SD cards, definitely not usb reader. There's
partial docs somewhere, you just need to bitbang it over PCI.
								Pavel

* Re: internal card reader support
@ 2004-12-14 13:03   ` Felix Dorner
From: Felix Dorner @ 2004-12-14 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

David Vrabel wrote:

> Felix Dorner wrote:
>

>> 0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54
>> (rev 01)
>> 0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54
>> (rev 01)
>> 0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device
>> 8201 (rev 01)
>

> This is a TI PCI1620.  You can get data sheets etc. from TI's website.
> Not sure how much good that will do you though as it appears to
> require firmware -- the 3rd function is a firmware loader interface.
>
> David Vrabel

First thanks for that. And i am courious: You get that just from the
lspci output? Do you know this chip?

Where can I dive deeply into PCI Bus technology? We just played with
small microcontrollers connected to three pushbuttons at University...

@ 2004-12-14 13:24     ` David Vrabel
From: David Vrabel @ 2004-12-14 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Dorner; +Cc: linux-kernel

Felix Dorner wrote:
> David Vrabel wrote:
>
>> Felix Dorner wrote:
>>

>>> 0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54
>>> (rev 01)
>>> 0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54
>>> (rev 01)
>>> 0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device
>>> 8201 (rev 01)
>>
>> This is a TI PCI1620.  [...]
>
> First thanks for that. And i am courious: You get that just from the
> lspci output? Do you know this chip?

I'm familiar with another chip in the same family (one with only
PCMCIA/CardBus support so I can't help you with the flash card parts) so
I just did a quick scan of TI's website.  The ac54 is the device ID for
the part which you find in datasheets and the like.

David Vrabel

* Re: internal card reader support
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-16 17:27 ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2004-12-16 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Dorner; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-laptop

Felix Dorner wrote:
> Hi,
>

> My notebook (hp nx9105) has an integrated 5in1 card-reader. I would
> really like to use this with linux.
> Since I do not think it is supported yet, I d like to know if it might
> be possible to write a module or so for this.
> I am just an average C programmer, but always wanted to dive into kernel
> developement. My knowledge on computer architecture is also no more than
> basic, so this might be something to really learn a lot...
> So I start at zero knowledge now. First of course I need to find out if
> what I want to do is possible at all.
> This means now to identify the hardware inside and see if I can get
> documents for that.
>
> First I just start with:
>
> #lspci
> [...]
> 0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev
> 01)
> 0000:02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac54 (rev
> 01)
> 0000:02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8201
> (rev 01)
> [...]
>
> This is all that I have. Now I am already confused. My box has one
> PCMCIA slot. Which is now the PCMCIA and which is the CardReader? What
> about the third device? Might this be the integrated infrared controller?
>
> Can you give me any hints/tips where to start best, what to read first?
>
> I know this seems to be very difficult, but I have quite some free time
> that I don't want to spend playing bzflag all night long, so I think
> this is a great way to learn something.

The first question is if this shows up as USB (therefore SCSI), or IDE.
I had an old desktop with PCMCIA and it all used the IDE driver. I'm
interested, I'd love to use the slot on my Acer!

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)