* Conflicts in kernel 2.6 headers and {glibc,Xorg}
@ 2005-01-09  9:20 Michal Feix
From: Michal Feix @ 2005-01-09  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello evereyone!

First, I'm not on kernel mailing list so please CC any replies to me.
Thank you.

Yesterday I was recompiling my Linux from Scratch distribution for the
first time with Linux kernel 2.6.10 headers as a base for glibc. I've
found, that glibc (and XOrg later on too) won't compile, as there is a
conflict in certain functions or macros that glibc and Kernel headers
both define.

One was in asm/bitops.h (strictly speaking, asm-i386/bitops.h) named
__ffs, which is defined with unsigned long (both for return type and
parameter) in linux kernel, but as int in glibc sources. Others were in
asm/system.h. Macro mb() and nop() which conflicts with Xorg sources and
with one part of KDE as well (mb() macro and kdepim sources).

Now I am a bit confused. To force my glibc, Xorg and KDE to compile
cleanly, I had to rename these in kernel headers in my /usr/include/asm
directory, so they are no longer conflicting (which of course breaks the
  rest of kernel header files, that use these macros), but since I was
changing only files in /usr/include/asm, it's probably a "no harm done"
change, as my Kernel has it's own copy of these files.

My question is: is this a bug in glibc and Xorg sources that they
declare macros and functions with the same name as kernel headers? I
believe not, as it worked cleanly with kernel 2.4 headers and glibc was
first to use these names. :)

Or is it a bug in kernel 2.6 headers, which should be fixed by including
these functions and macros into __KERNEL__ block, so they will not
collide with userspace sources?

Thanks for reading this to the end... :)

--
Michal Feix
michal@feix.cz