* Sparse LUN scanning - 2.4.x
@ 2005-01-11 19:05 Jim Zajkowski
From: Jim Zajkowski @ 2005-01-11 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi there,

We have an Apple Xserve RAID, connected through a FC switch.  The RAID
has LUN-masking enabled, such that one of our Linux boxes only gets LUN
1 and not LUN 0.  We're running the 2.4.x kernel series now, since this
is under a RHEL envinronment.

The problem is this: since LUN 0 does not show up -- specifically, it
can't read the vendor or model informaton -- the kernel SCSI scan does
not match with the table to tell the kernel to do sparse LUN
scanning... so the RAID does not appear.

I can make the RAID show up by injecting a add-single-device to the
SCSI proc layer.  Trivially patching scsi_scan.c to always do sparse
scanning works as well.  No hokery with max_scsi_luns or ghost devices
works.

I'm considering making a patch to add a kernel option to force sparse
scanning.  Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim

--
Jim Zajkowski          OpenPGP 0x21135C3    http://www.jimz.net/pgp.asc
System Administrator  8A9E 1DDF 944D 83C3 AEAB  8F74 8697 A823 2113 5C53

* Re: Sparse LUN scanning - 2.4.x
@ 2005-01-12  0:07 ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2005-01-12  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Zajkowski; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jim Zajkowski wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We have an Apple Xserve RAID, connected through a FC switch.  The RAID
> has LUN-masking enabled, such that one of our Linux boxes only gets
> LUN 1 and not LUN 0.  We're running the 2.4.x kernel series now, since
> this is under a RHEL envinronment.
>
> The problem is this: since LUN 0 does not show up -- specifically, it
> can't read the vendor or model informaton -- the kernel SCSI scan does
> not match with the table to tell the kernel to do sparse LUN
> scanning... so the RAID does not appear.
>
> I can make the RAID show up by injecting a add-single-device to the
> SCSI proc layer.  Trivially patching scsi_scan.c to always do sparse
> scanning works as well.  No hokery with max_scsi_luns or ghost devices
> works.
>
> I'm considering making a patch to add a kernel option to force sparse
> scanning.  Is there a better way?

Add the Xserve with the BLIST_SPARSELUN flag into the blacklist/quirks
table in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c

~mc

* Re: Sparse LUN scanning - 2.4.x
@ 2005-01-12  2:11   ` Jim Zajkowski
From: Jim Zajkowski @ 2005-01-12  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 2005-01-11 19:07:53 -0500, Michael Clark <michael@metaparadigm.com> said:

>> The problem is this: since LUN 0 does not show up -- specifically, it
>> can't read the vendor or model informaton -- the kernel SCSI scan does
>> not match with the table to tell the kernel to do sparse LUN
>> scanning... so the RAID does not appear.

> Add the Xserve with the BLIST_SPARSELUN flag into the blacklist/quirks
> table in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c

It already is in the quirks list.

The problem is that LUN 0 does not show up on this machine, so the
quirks table doesn't work.  Looking at /proc/scsi/scsi shows the device
but only sorta:

> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor:          Model:                  Rev:
>   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: ffffffff

whereas the LUN that is mapped shows up like this:

> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
>   Vendor: APPLE    Model: Xserve RAID      Rev: 1.20
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

So since the information doesn't show up, the quirks table magic
doesn't work since it doesn't know that it needs to do a sparse lun
scan.

--Jim

--

@ 2005-01-12  9:50     ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2005-01-12  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Zajkowski; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jim Zajkowski wrote:

> On 2005-01-11 19:07:53 -0500, Michael Clark <michael@metaparadigm.com>
> said:
>
>>> The problem is this: since LUN 0 does not show up -- specifically,
>>> it can't read the vendor or model informaton -- the kernel SCSI scan
>>> does not match with the table to tell the kernel to do sparse LUN
>>> scanning... so the RAID does not appear.
>>

>> Add the Xserve with the BLIST_SPARSELUN flag into the
>> blacklist/quirks table in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c
>

> It already is in the quirks list.
>
> The problem is that LUN 0 does not show up on this machine, so the
> quirks table doesn't work.  Looking at /proc/scsi/scsi shows the
> device but only sorta:

Okay. I believe there is a patch floating around for 2.4 that is used in
some of the other distro's kernels that adds REPORT LUNS scanning as
well as a flag to force LUN scanning (although not sure it works if LUN
0 is not present).

A pragmatic solution may be to just add the echo scsi add-single-device
x x x x > /proc/scsi/scsi into your early boot or configure one of your
slices on LUN 0 (if the Xserve RAID allows that). 2.6 (and RHEL 4)
support the REPORT LUNS so should work there although there are some
messages on linux-scsi about the Xserve RAID's specific handling of LUN
0. Probably good idea to post to linux-scsi.

~mc