* Re: RAIT device driver feasibility
@ 2005-01-13 15:41 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2005-01-13 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 15:42, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> RAIT already exists in Amanda, in user space, but I'd like to see a generic
> kernel RAIT driver which could be used by any backup program.

Why kernel space - why not a user space shared library you can add to
other tape apps?

* RAIT device driver feasibility
@ 2005-01-13 15:42 Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2005-01-13 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's easy to write a RAID like device for tapes (RAIT)...
For block devices, hooks are present in the kernel code, but for char devices,
is there a way to implement a write function for example, which will write in
parallel to N /dev/stX tape devices ?

RAIT already exists in Amanda, in user space, but I'd like to see a generic
kernel RAIT driver which could be used by any backup program.

Cheers,

--
Ludovic DROLEZ                              Linbox / Free&ALter Soft
152 rue de Grigy - Technopole Metz 2000                   57070 METZ

* Re: RAIT device driver feasibility
@ 2005-01-13 16:29     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2005-01-13 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 17:09, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> > Why kernel space - why not a user space shared library you can add to
> > other tape apps?
>
> A shared library which would override read(), write() in the program ? Why not...
>
> But do you think you can chain/bounce, ioctl(), read(), writes from a char
> driver to another ?

I was thinking more of an easy to use shared library and adapting the
various tape archiving apps to be able to use it, not emulation

* Re: RAIT device driver feasibility
@ 2005-01-13 17:09   ` Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2005-01-13 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)