* Re: DVD-RW writes but doesn't read
@ 2005-02-04  5:05 Samuel Torres
From: Samuel Torres @ 2005-02-04  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Just a few days ago I installed a brand new OEM AOpen DUW1608/ARR. At
times while mounting DVDs the drive would lose files between ls's, or
get I/O errors while ls'ing. I also noticed the same errors you posted
below. I might have stumbled across a solution to this problem. In my
BIOS I changed all of the AUTO's in the CD/DVD drive properties and set
them to CD/DVD (drive type), PIO-4 (PIO MODE), and DMA-4 (DMA MODE).
This change had an apparent effect which no longer produces such reading
errors, at least from the 4 reading tests (2 DVD and 2 CD). The 2 DVD
reads were done with vobcopy, and the CD tests were done with cdrdao,
and md5sum (checking the Ubuntu files with the CD with the provided
md5sum.txt, from within the CD, in the DVD drive).

Hope it works.

@ 2004-12-22  8:56   ` Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2004-12-22  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert van Nobelen; +Cc: linux-kernel

Norbert van Nobelen wrote:
> Did you try one of the disks you have written with it in another dvdplayer
> yet?
>
> If the written dvds really work, then it is clearly a miracle (-:. The first
> thing the drive does, is a read action to see if it has an empty disc or
> something like multisession. If the drive reading is so terrible, that action
> should fail most of the time too.

Every DVD and CD is perfect. I've burnt about 20.

Con

@ 2004-12-22  8:40 surya
From: surya @ 2004-12-22  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert van Nobelen; +Cc: Con Kolivas, linux-kernel

Even I had the same problem - It wasnt reading the written dvd-r/rw .But then
Once I tried closing the session after a burn(not closing disk) .
Then it started to show up the files .This is on 2.6.9 . But now the dvd drive
stopped reading cd's anymore ;-(

-surya

@ 2004-12-22  6:51 ` Norbert van Nobelen
From: Norbert van Nobelen @ 2004-12-22  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)