* EBDA Question
@ 2005-02-07 19:45 Moore, Eric Dean
From: Moore, Eric Dean @ 2005-02-07 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-scsi

EBDA - Extended Bios Data Area

Does Linux and various boot loaders(lilo/grub/etc)
having any restrictions on where and how big
memory allocated in EBDA is? Is this
handled for 2.4/2.6 Kernels?

Reason I ask is we are considering having
BIOS(for a SCSI HBA Controller) allocating
memory in EBDA for Firmware use.
We are concerned whether Linux would be writing
over this region of memory during the handoff
of BIOS to scsi lower layer driver loading.

Eric Moore
LSI Logic

* Re: EBDA Question
@ 2005-02-08 23:28 ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2005-02-08 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Followup to:  <91888D455306F94EBD4D168954A9457C01297B87@nacos172.co.lsil.com>
By author:    "Moore, Eric Dean" <Eric.Moore@lsil.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> EBDA - Extended Bios Data Area
>
> Does Linux and various boot loaders(lilo/grub/etc)
> having any restrictions on where and how big
> memory allocated in EBDA is? Is this
> handled for 2.4/2.6 Kernels?
>
> Reason I ask is we are considering having
> BIOS(for a SCSI HBA Controller) allocating
> memory in EBDA for Firmware use.
> We are concerned whether Linux would be writing
> over this region of memory during the handoff
> of BIOS to scsi lower layer driver loading.

In general, dropping the EBDA below 0x9a000 is probably a
bad idea.  Recent Linux kernels and boot loaders should handle it,
though.  Keep in mind that you might find yourself in serious trouble
if you then have, for example, a PXE stack layered on top of your SCSI
BIOS.

	-hpa

* Re: EBDA Question
@ 2005-02-26 19:08   ` Bukie Mabayoje
From: Bukie Mabayoje @ 2005-02-26 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin; +Cc: linux-kernel

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> Followup to:  <91888D455306F94EBD4D168954A9457C01297B87@nacos172.co.lsil.com>
> By author:    "Moore, Eric Dean" <Eric.Moore@lsil.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > EBDA - Extended Bios Data Area
> >
> > Does Linux and various boot loaders(lilo/grub/etc)
> > having any restrictions on where and how big
> > memory allocated in EBDA is? Is this
> > handled for 2.4/2.6 Kernels?
> >
> > Reason I ask is we are considering having
> > BIOS(for a SCSI HBA Controller) allocating
> > memory in EBDA for Firmware use.
> > We are concerned whether Linux would be writing
> > over this region of memory during the handoff
> > of BIOS to scsi lower layer driver loading.
> >

> In general, dropping the EBDA below 0x9a000 is probably a
> bad idea.  Recent Linux kernels and boot loaders should handle it,
> though.  Keep in mind that you might find yourself in serious trouble
> if you then have, for example, a PXE stack layered on top of your SCSI
> BIOS.

There are test software used in manufacturing  line that needs this DOS memory.

>         -hpa
>
> -

* Re: EBDA Question
@ 2005-02-27  3:42     ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2005-02-27  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bukie Mabayoje; +Cc: linux-kernel

Bukie Mabayoje wrote:

>>In general, dropping the EBDA below 0x9a000 is probably a
>>bad idea.  Recent Linux kernels and boot loaders should handle it,
>>though.  Keep in mind that you might find yourself in serious trouble
>>if you then have, for example, a PXE stack layered on top of your SCSI
>>BIOS.
>
> There are test software used in manufacturing  line that needs this DOS memory.

For that purpose, you can probably get away with a lot more than that.

	-hpa

* RE: EBDA Question
@ 2005-02-07 20:54 Salyzyn, Mark
From: Salyzyn, Mark @ 2005-02-07 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moore, Eric Dean, linux-kernel, linux-scsi

EBDA is safe to use during lilo and grub as part of a BIOS. As long as
the EBDA is properly formed.

However, it is considered 'bad behavior' to allocate much more than 4k
of EBDA as we find others (not Linux) that depend on the 640K region of
memory run out of this precious resource. Beware of several add-in
BIOSii that each allocate EBDA; nest/size/relocate/offset properly.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn