* kernel.org replaced
@ 2005-04-04 19:53 H. Peter Anvin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2005-04-04 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello everyone,

HP has most graciously donated a pair of DL585 quad Opteron servers
with 24 GB of RAM and 10 TB of disk using a pair of MSA-30 arrays for
each server.  The first ones of these servers was officially put in
service today; the next one will be put in service next week.  Each
server is in a different ISC colo, connected to the Internet via
gigabit fiber links.

Consequently, we should now see incredibly much better performance
from kernel.org.  Huge thanks to HP for the new hardware, and huge
thanks to ISC for letting us quadruple our rack space requirements
from 5U to 2x10U.  We'll be saturating those links in no time :)

	-hpa

* Re: kernel.org replaced
@ 2005-04-04 20:05 ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2005-04-04 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

A few additional notes:

- The IP addresses for kernel.org have changed.  When the second
  server gets deployed next week, most of the kernel.org addresses,
  e.g. ftp.kernel.org, will be round-robins.  The individual servers
  can be specified as ftp1.kernel.org and ftp2.kernel.org.

- *** If you run a service from kernel.org that uses DNS entries
  beyond our control, please see the email I sent out; if you didn't
  get it, contact me. ***

- The old IP addresses will be turned off later this week.

	-hpa

* Re: kernel.org replaced
@ 2005-04-04 20:13 ` Alessandro Suardi
From: Alessandro Suardi @ 2005-04-04 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Apr 4, 2005 9:53 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> HP has most graciously donated a pair of DL585 quad Opteron servers
> with 24 GB of RAM and 10 TB of disk using a pair of MSA-30 arrays for
> each server.  The first ones of these servers was officially put in
> service today; the next one will be put in service next week.  Each
> server is in a different ISC colo, connected to the Internet via
> gigabit fiber links.

This is excellent news...

> Consequently, we should now see incredibly much better performance
> from kernel.org.  Huge thanks to HP for the new hardware, and huge
> thanks to ISC for letting us quadruple our rack space requirements
> from 5U to 2x10U.  We'll be saturating those links in no time :)

I don't know - 2.6.12-rc2 has been announced a few hours
 ago on http://www.kernel.org , still the patch isn't there.. it
 will be hard to saturate links that way ;)

--alessandro

 "I want to know if it's you I don't trust
  'cause I damn sure don't trust myself"

    (Bruce Springsteen, "Brilliant Disguise")

* Re: kernel.org replaced
@ 2005-04-04 20:20   ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2005-04-04 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Suardi; +Cc: linux-kernel

Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> I don't know - 2.6.12-rc2 has been announced a few hours
>  ago on http://www.kernel.org , still the patch isn't there.. it
>  will be hard to saturate links that way ;)

Fixed.  It was uploaded while I was still in the process of getting the
upload system set up, and it apparently got recorded as already uploaded.

	-hpa

* Re: kernel.org replaced
@ 2005-04-04 20:28   ` Brice Goglin
From: Brice Goglin @ 2005-04-04 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Suardi; +Cc: linux-kernel

Alessandro Suardi a écrit :
> I don't know - 2.6.12-rc2 has been announced a few hours
>  ago on http://www.kernel.org , still the patch isn't there..

It is now !

Brice

* Re: kernel.org replaced
@ 2005-04-04 21:52 ` Fao, Sean
From: Fao, Sean @ 2005-04-04 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin, linux-kernel

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>HP has most graciously donated a pair of DL585 quad Opteron servers
>with 24 GB of RAM and 10 TB of disk using a pair of MSA-30 arrays for
>each server.

If you don't mind me asking, what all does this server do/host?

Just curious,

--
Sean