* kernel panics with ide/pci hpt372
@ 2005-05-04 14:55 Tobias Margitan
From: Tobias Margitan @ 2005-05-04 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi folks,
I got troubles with kernel panics shown below since 2.6.8

Hardware Environment: Asus CUR-DLS Dual P3 / Serverworks Chip + Highpoint 372
softraid crap controller
Software Environment: 2.6.11, actual gentoo ~x86 tree
Problem Description: since 2.6.8 I get Kernel Panics in module hpt372 wich is
included in hpt366 driver

Steps to reproduce:
Since I use that controller due to unstabilities just as normal ide controller I
got no more trouble. But 2.6.7 was the las kernel that was able to bring hpt372
up. I dont need to boot from that device but my storage HDDs are on its line.
What I can see from the error is this, although there is quite more above that.
Screen begins with:

Process swapper (pid: 1, threadinfo=dffc1000 task=dffc0a40)
Stack: c0311375... <many more 8bit columns>
Call Trace: [<c0311375>] hpt372_tune_chipset+0xd5/0x160
numbers
Code: ff 85 c0 ba... and more of 2 bit code
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

and thats the point where I have to go with the reset button and be happy my
2.6.7 still exists :/

There were added three patches to the sources described in here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.8
just search the changelog for "hpt" and you'll find.
is it possible to undo that patches? at least one of them has to cause the errors...

I tried the Highpoint Own linux sources but when i modprobe them there is write errors
and it takes more than 5 minutes to load the first hdd in line and by the second one
the driver gives up trying.

thanks for reading

* Re: kernel panics with ide/pci hpt372
@ 2005-05-05 14:49 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2005-05-05 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mer, 2005-05-04 at 15:55, Tobias Margitan wrote:
> Problem Description: since 2.6.8 I get Kernel Panics in module hpt372 wich is
> included in hpt366 driver

HPT372N controllers don't work with Linux because the tuning code in the
driver needs rewriting. It might randomly sometimes work with the wrong
timings with the old old driver or it might eat all your data or more
likely some nasty combination of the two.

Alan