* FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 14:59 Christopher Friesen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christopher Friesen @ 2006-01-11 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

According to various sources, the USPTO has ruled that Microsoft's
patent on FAT is valid.

Does this impact Linux?  Will we have to remove the filesystem?

Chris

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:31 ` linux-os (Dick Johnson)
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: linux-os (Dick Johnson) @ 2006-01-11 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Christopher Friesen wrote:

> According to various sources, the USPTO has ruled that Microsoft's
> patent on FAT is valid.
>
> Does this impact Linux?  Will we have to remove the filesystem?
>
> Chris

You mean the expired patent circa 1980 for their first use of this
technology? This is 2006, 26 years later. Patents don't run forever,
you know. That's the reason why it has become the 'universal' file-
system, not because it's a good file-system, but because it's now
in the public domain due to expiration.

And, can you cite the 'various sources'. They seem to be like spooks
under the bridge, completely without merit.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.13.4 on an i686 machine (5589.71 BogoMips).
Warning : 98.36% of all statistics are fiction.
.

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@analogic.com - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:35 ` Bernd Petrovitsch
From: Bernd Petrovitsch @ 2006-01-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 08:59 -0600, Christopher Friesen wrote:
> According to various sources, the USPTO has ruled that Microsoft's
> patent on FAT is valid.

"ruled"? Isn't that the job of courts (and of course not of the
executive part of a government)?
And yes, there is another interpretation possible - justice is no longer
separated from the executive part.

And it is the job of the USPTO to grant patents and not to hinder them.

> Does this impact Linux?  Will we have to remove the filesystem?

There are lots of patents in the USPTO.
Have fun removing everything which is claimed by some granted patent.
It boils down or `rm -rf world`.

	Bernd, NAL
          Embedded Linux Development and Services

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:43   ` Ram Gupta
From: Ram Gupta @ 2006-01-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-os (Dick Johnson); +Cc: Christopher Friesen, linux-kernel

On 1/11/06, linux-os (Dick Johnson) <linux-os@analogic.com> wrote:

> You mean the expired patent circa 1980 for their first use of this
> technology? This is 2006, 26 years later. Patents don't run forever,
> you know. That's the reason why it has become the 'universal' file-
> system, not because it's a good file-system, but because it's now
> in the public domain due to expiration.

There is some discussion on eweek
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1867102,00.asp about it . It does
not seem quite settled yet.

Ram

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:46   ` Christopher Friesen
From: Christopher Friesen @ 2006-01-11 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-os (Dick Johnson); +Cc: linux-kernel

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Christopher Friesen wrote:
>

>>According to various sources, the USPTO has ruled that Microsoft's
>>patent on FAT is valid.
>>
>>Does this impact Linux?  Will we have to remove the filesystem?
>>
>>Chris
>

> You mean the expired patent circa 1980 for their first use of this
> technology?

No, I mean the three listed on Microsoft's website:

# U.S. Patent #5,579,517 "Common name space for long and short
filenames" Nov 26, 1996

# U.S. Patent #5,758,352  "Common name space for long and short
filenames" May 26, 1998

# U.S. Patent #6,286,013 "Method and system for providing a common name
space for long and short file names in an operating system" September 4,
2001

Chris

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:49     ` Christopher Friesen
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Friesen @ 2006-01-11 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Heflin; +Cc: 'linux-os (Dick Johnson)', linux-kernel

Roger Heflin wrote:

> The patent upheld is for long filenames on a FAT filesystem, not
> for FAT in general.

It appears that Microsoft specifically lists three patents, but they're
all related to long filenames.

> Not a major thing to go without.

True.

> It would be nice it the original poster would have done 30 seconds
> more research before posting.

The question still holds in modified form...will we need to remove this
functionality, or is it currently implemented in a way that does not
infringe on the patent?

Chris

* RE: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:51     ` linux-os (Dick Johnson)
From: linux-os (Dick Johnson) @ 2006-01-11 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Heflin; +Cc: Christopher Friesen, linux-kernel

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Roger Heflin wrote:

> [...]

Yes.

@ 2006-01-11 15:52   ` Roger Heflin
From: Roger Heflin @ 2006-01-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-os (Dick Johnson)', 'Christopher Friesen'
  Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2006-01-11 15:53 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2006-01-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 08:59 -0600, Christopher Friesen wrote:
> According to various sources, the USPTO has ruled that Microsoft's
> patent on FAT is valid.
>
> Does this impact Linux?  Will we have to remove the filesystem?

this only impacts people who took a license, since then section 7 of the
GPL forbids distribution of linux by those people ;)

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:57       ` Antonio Vargas
From: Antonio Vargas @ 2006-01-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen, Roger Heflin, linux-os (Dick Johnson), linux-kernel

On 1/11/06, Christopher Friesen <cfriesen@nortel.com> wrote:
> Roger Heflin wrote:
>
> > The patent upheld is for long filenames on a FAT filesystem, not
> > for FAT in general.
>
> It appears that Microsoft specifically lists three patents, but they're
> all related to long filenames.
>
> > Not a major thing to go without.
>
> True.
>
> > It would be nice it the original poster would have done 30 seconds
> > more research before posting.
>
> The question still holds in modified form...will we need to remove this
> functionality, or is it currently implemented in a way that does not
> infringe on the patent?
>
> Chris

The linux-kernel implementation could be argued to be needed for
inter-operation with a parallel install of windows on a dual boot
machine ;)

--
Greetz, Antonio Vargas aka winden of network

http://wind.codepixel.com/
windNOenSPAMntw@gmail.com
thesameasabove@amigascne.org

Every day, every year
you have to work
you have to study
you have to scene.

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 15:59     ` linux-os (Dick Johnson)
From: linux-os (Dick Johnson) @ 2006-01-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Christopher Friesen wrote:

> linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Christopher Friesen wrote:
>>

>>> According to various sources, the USPTO has ruled that Microsoft's
>>> patent on FAT is valid.
>>>
>>> Does this impact Linux?  Will we have to remove the filesystem?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>

>> You mean the expired patent circa 1980 for their first use of this
>> technology?
>
> No, I mean the three listed on Microsoft's website:
>
> # U.S. Patent #5,579,517 "Common name space for long and short
> filenames" Nov 26, 1996
>
> # U.S. Patent #5,758,352  "Common name space for long and short
> filenames" May 26, 1998
>
> # U.S. Patent #6,286,013 "Method and system for providing a common name
> space for long and short file names in an operating system" September 4,
> 2001
>
> Chris

Ah yes. The "container file" patents. Filed somewhat late, too. About
20 years after first use by Xerox. I don't think you need to worry too
much.

The FILENAME.TYP standard file-name had it's start with Intel's MDS-200
and was appropriated by Gary Kildall of Digital Research for CP/M.

@ 2006-01-11 16:12       ` Bernd Petrovitsch
From: Bernd Petrovitsch @ 2006-01-11 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen
  Cc: Roger Heflin, 'linux-os (Dick Johnson)', linux-kernel

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 09:49 -0600, Christopher Friesen wrote:
[...]
> The question still holds in modified form...will we need to remove this
> functionality, or is it currently implemented in a way that does not
> infringe on the patent?

This is a law question (and not a technical one) and AFAICS it can only
answered by a judge in court.

	Bernd

@ 2006-01-11 17:13       ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2006-01-11 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen
  Cc: Roger Heflin, 'linux-os (Dick Johnson)', linux-kernel

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Christopher Friesen wrote:

> The question still holds in modified form...will we need to remove this
> functionality, or is it currently implemented in a way that does not
> infringe on the patent?

I would not be surprised if the UMSDOS filesystem predated
VFAT by a few years - but this was all quite a while ago,
and I'm not sure the patents cover something that UMSDOS
could have prior art on...

--
All Rights Reversed

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 17:20         ` Alistair John Strachan
From: Alistair John Strachan @ 2006-01-11 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik van Riel
  Cc: Christopher Friesen, Roger Heflin,
	'linux-os (Dick Johnson)',
	linux-kernel

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 17:13, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Christopher Friesen wrote:
> > The question still holds in modified form...will we need to remove this
> > functionality, or is it currently implemented in a way that does not
> > infringe on the patent?
>
> I would not be surprised if the UMSDOS filesystem predated
> VFAT by a few years - but this was all quite a while ago,
> and I'm not sure the patents cover something that UMSDOS
> could have prior art on...

I think the patents are on LFN, which is not VFAT, probably a lot younger, and
as other people have mentioned on this thread, a lot less of a patent threat.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
@ 2006-01-11 17:48         ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2006-01-11 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Vargas
  Cc: Christopher Friesen, Roger Heflin, linux-os (Dick Johnson), linux-kernel

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 16:57 +0100, Antonio Vargas wrote:
> The linux-kernel implementation could be argued to be needed for
> inter-operation with a parallel install of windows on a dual boot
> machine ;)

IANAL but I'm pretty sure there is no interoperability exception for
patent infringement.

Lee

* Re: FAT and Microsoft patent?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-01-11 18:47 ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2006-01-11 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Friesen; +Cc: linux-kernel

Christopher Friesen wrote:

> According to various sources, the USPTO has ruled that Microsoft's
> patent on FAT is valid.
>
> Does this impact Linux? Will we have to remove the filesystem?
>
> Chris
> -
> linux-kernel" in

This also affects DRDOS. I will notify folks about this.

Jeff