* generating keyboard events from userspace
@ 2006-01-15 16:57 Philip Lawatsch
From: Philip Lawatsch @ 2006-01-15 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I'm currently writing an userspace application (with libusb) which
handles the LCD display on a logitech g15 keyboard.

This keyboard consists of two usb devices + a usb hub. One device is the
normal keyboard and the other device is the lcd + the special keys.
Both devices get detected by the usb-hid driver.

Now the problem is that in order to access the lcd from userspace I have
to detach usb-hid driver from the interface so I can use it. (Or, I'd
have to write a driver for it which I'd like to avoid).

So, is there any way to "inject" events generated by pressing the keys
on the device I'm handling myself back into the whole system from userspace?

I'd really like to avoid writing a kernel mode driver for this.

Any help would be appreciated (even redirecting me to a more suitable
mailing list, I didn't find any)

kind regards Philip

* Re: generating keyboard events from userspace
@ 2006-01-15 17:54 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2006-01-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Lawatsch; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sunday 15 January 2006 11:57, Philip Lawatsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently writing an userspace application (with libusb) which
> handles the LCD display on a logitech g15 keyboard.
>
> This keyboard consists of two usb devices + a usb hub. One device is the
> normal keyboard and the other device is the lcd + the special keys.
> Both devices get detected by the usb-hid driver.
>
> Now the problem is that in order to access the lcd from userspace I have
> to detach usb-hid driver from the interface so I can use it. (Or, I'd
> have to write a driver for it which I'd like to avoid).
>
> So, is there any way to "inject" events generated by pressing the keys
> on the device I'm handling myself back into the whole system from userspace?
>
> I'd really like to avoid writing a kernel mode driver for this.
>
> Any help would be appreciated (even redirecting me to a more suitable
> mailing list, I didn't find any)

You need uinput driver (drivers/input/misc/uinput.c)

--
Dmitry

* Re: generating keyboard events from userspace
@ 2006-01-15 19:00   ` Philip Lawatsch
From: Philip Lawatsch @ 2006-01-15 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-kernel

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

>> So, is there any way to "inject" events generated by pressing the keys
>> on the device I'm handling myself back into the whole system from userspace?

> You need uinput driver (drivers/input/misc/uinput.c)

Thanks a lot.

kind regards Philip