* How to dump stack for kernel threads
@ 2006-01-26 17:45 Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2006-01-26 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In a driver that I am debugging, there is a periodic task that runs every minute. Intermittently, it
destructively interrupts some other activity in the driver, but I have not been able to find the
section that is not thread-safe. I have included a dump_stack call at the point where the problem is
evident, but the current thread is OK. How would I generate a stack dump of the rest of this
driver's kernel threads? Dumping all kernel threads would also be OK.

Thanks,

Larry

* Re: How to dump stack for kernel threads
@ 2006-01-26 21:15 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2006-01-26 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger; +Cc: linux-kernel

>Subject: How to dump stack for kernel threads
>
> In a driver that I am debugging, there is a periodic task that runs every
> minute. Intermittently, it destructively interrupts some other activity in the
> driver, but I have not been able to find the section that is not thread-safe. I
> have included a dump_stack call at the point where the problem is evident, but
> the current thread is OK. How would I generate a stack dump of the rest of this
> driver's kernel threads? Dumping all kernel threads would also be OK.

Sysrq+T. Behind the jungle, there's a function doing what you want.

Jan Engelhardt
--

@ 2006-01-27  3:00   ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2006-01-27  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>In a driver that I am debugging, there is a periodic task that runs every
>>minute. Intermittently, it destructively interrupts some other activity in the
>>driver, but I have not been able to find the section that is not thread-safe. I
>>have included a dump_stack call at the point where the problem is evident, but
>>the current thread is OK. How would I generate a stack dump of the rest of this
>>driver's kernel threads? Dumping all kernel threads would also be OK.
>

> Sysrq+T. Behind the jungle, there's a function doing what you want.
>

> Jan Engelhardt

Thanks for the tip. It won't work for me from the keyboard but your suggestion got me into a call to
handle_sysrq.

Larry