* libata extension
@ 2007-03-11  7:22 Vitaliyi
From: Vitaliyi @ 2007-03-11  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Good Day

Say i want to implement extended set of ATA commands available to
userspace for building diagnostic tools.
I need 0x40 -- read verify and 0x32 -- write long with error handling,
for example. I was trying ide driver through ioctl's, but seems it
lack of functionality and full of gotchas. Furthermore it oopses
sometimes.

Is it possible to use libata for such purpose or i need to write
separate IDE driver ?
By the way, i'm sure it should be done in kernel space since i'm going
to deal with some hdd manufacturer commands.

P.S. I was looking through libata and ide sources and documentation
but still dont have broad picture.

Thanks

[parent not found: <fa.tUT8ZqaAp2RZveBFqwzUhq3UYGI@ifi.uio.no>]