* O_DIRECT, fdatasync_area, mwrite
@ 2007-06-21 19:02 Reza Roboubi
From: Reza Roboubi @ 2007-06-21 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linus Torvalds:
 > I suspect that this is about a few hundred lines of code (and a lot of
 > testing). And you can emulate O_DIRECT behavior with it, along with
 > splice (only for page-cache entities, though), and a lot of other
 > off-by-one uses.
( http://lwn.net/2002/0516/a/lt-async.php3 )

I have often read this message and wondered why no one has implemented
it yet.  We would love to have such clean features instead of O_DIRECT.
  At this very moment it's a bit hard for us to do this(given a
prerequisites learning curve amongst other factors.)  We may at some
point do it and I'd love to contribute.  What _are_ the issues with it,
  and is there a technical reason it hasn't been implemented yet by anybody?

Further, is O_DIRECT to raw partition also unclean?

Thanks.

Reza.
--
Reza Roboubi
Chief Technical Officer

* Re: O_DIRECT, fdatasync_area, mwrite
@ 2007-06-22  5:43 ` Reza Roboubi
From: Reza Roboubi @ 2007-06-22  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reza Roboubi wrote:
> Linus Torvalds:
>  > I suspect that this is about a few hundred lines of code (and a lot of
>  > testing). And you can emulate O_DIRECT behavior with it, along with
>  > splice (only for page-cache entities, though), and a lot of other
>  > off-by-one uses.
> ( http://lwn.net/2002/0516/a/lt-async.php3 )
>
> I have often read this message and wondered why no one has implemented
> it yet.  We would love to have such clean features instead of O_DIRECT.
>  At this very moment it's a bit hard for us to do this(given a
> prerequisites learning curve amongst other factors.)  We may at some
> point do it and I'd love to contribute.  What _are_ the issues with it,
>  and is there a technical reason it hasn't been implemented yet by anybody?
>
> Further, is O_DIRECT to raw partition also unclean?

I know the top guys are very busy;  but I'd appreciate just a brief
comment on the present situation.

Reza.