* SoftMAC: Getting essid from req_essid
@ 2007-11-30 23:06 Ray Lee
From: Ray Lee @ 2007-11-30 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey there Larry, all,

git blame fingered commit id efe870f9 (from Larry) for adding a couple
of fairly harmless looking messages to
net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_wx.c . The problem is that one
of them is clogging up my syslog at the tune of once a second or so
("SoftMAC: Getting essid from req_essid"), and rolling everything else
out of my dmesg.

I just rebooted into 2.6.23-rc3+some, and after 36 minutes of uptime I
already have:

$ dmesg | cut -d ']' -f2- | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head -3

   1047  SoftMAC: Getting essid from req_essid
     38  SoftMAC: Getting essid from associate_essid
     22  SoftMAC: Scanning finished: scanned 13 channels starting with channel 1

Is the message important for debugging, or can I make a patch to yank
the silly thing?

Ray

* Re: SoftMAC: Getting essid from req_essid
@ 2007-12-03 23:31 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2007-12-03 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ray Lee wrote:
> Hey there Larry, all,
>
> git blame fingered commit id efe870f9 (from Larry) for adding a couple
> of fairly harmless looking messages to
> net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac_wx.c . The problem is that one
> of them is clogging up my syslog at the tune of once a second or so
> ("SoftMAC: Getting essid from req_essid"), and rolling everything else
> out of my dmesg.
>
> I just rebooted into 2.6.23-rc3+some, and after 36 minutes of uptime I
> already have:
>
> $ dmesg | cut -d ']' -f2- | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head -3
>
>    1047  SoftMAC: Getting essid from req_essid
>      38  SoftMAC: Getting essid from associate_essid
>      22  SoftMAC: Scanning finished: scanned 13 channels starting with channel 1
>
> Is the message important for debugging, or can I make a patch to yank
> the silly thing?

Just turn off SoftMAC debugging.

Larry