* Say what the -[ cut here ]- lines are called
@ 2018-08-16 21:09 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2018-08-16 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The kernel should really say what the
------------[ cut here ]------------
lines are called, else users will say things like:

"I discovered that the user needs to use xrandr in _two_ steps for
certain resolutions, else he will trigger a
kernel:  ------------[ cut here ]------------ line."

instead of
"...will trigger a kernel problem."
"...will trigger a kernel fault."
"...will trigger a kernel oops."
or whatever it is supposed to be called.

So say e.g.,
------------[ cut here ]------------
Kernel fault:

etc. there in the syslog. Thanks.

* Re: Say what the -[ cut here ]- lines are called
@ 2018-08-17 20:22 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2018-08-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Jacobson, linux-kernel

On 08/16/2018 02:09 PM, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> The kernel should really say what the
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> lines are called, else users will say things like:
>
> "I discovered that the user needs to use xrandr in _two_ steps for
> certain resolutions, else he will trigger a
> kernel:  ------------[ cut here ]------------ line."
>
> instead of
> "...will trigger a kernel problem."
> "...will trigger a kernel fault."
> "...will trigger a kernel oops."
> or whatever it is supposed to be called.
>
> So say e.g.,
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> Kernel fault:
>
> etc. there in the syslog. Thanks.

My google search fu shows me:

------------[ cut here ]------------
(immediately followed by:)
kernel BUG at ...
(or)
WARNING: at
and ending with:
---[ end trace c228cd85b8ef2f99 ]---

Or are requesting more descriptive words immediately before "cut here", e.g.,
----------[ begin kernel trace report c228cd85b8ef2f99: cut here ]----------

See, I would prefer to see the hex "oops ID" at the beginning as well as the
end of the trace report.

--
~Randy