* 8139cp/too support not accessible?
@ 2008-06-12  7:02 Elijah Anderson
From: Elijah Anderson @ 2008-06-12  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hey List,

I will admit right off the bat that I'm new to interacting directly with
the kernel, much less building one.

The issue I'm having is that my ethernet card requires either the 8139cp
or 8139too module. I don't remember which one, so I want to modularize
them both. Problem is, using $make xconfig; I can't select it. I have
the interface set to show me all the options, but the modules I need are
grayed out and I can't change the value.

Using $make config; It doesn't show them, even if I say Y to "Prompt for
development and/or incomplete code/drivers"

Is there a way to manually select those drivers for modularization, or
am I just missing a step somewhere?

Thank you.

* Re: 8139cp/too support not accessible?
@ 2008-06-12 11:03 ` Alessandro Suardi
From: Alessandro Suardi @ 2008-06-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Anderson; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Elijah Anderson <kd0bpv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I will admit right off the bat that I'm new to interacting directly with the
> kernel, much less building one.
>
> The issue I'm having is that my ethernet card requires either the 8139cp or
> 8139too module. I don't remember which one, so I want to modularize them
> both. Problem is, using $make xconfig; I can't select it. I have the
> interface set to show me all the options, but the modules I need are grayed
> out and I can't change the value.
>
> Using $make config; It doesn't show them, even if I say Y to "Prompt for
> development and/or incomplete code/drivers"
>
> Is there a way to manually select those drivers for modularization, or am I
> just missing a step somewhere?
>
> Thank you.

That's not really a kernel issue... however, since I have
 that configuration (both drivers modular) at home, I
 know it works :)

You probably haven't selected NET_PCI, which is the
    entry described by

 "EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers"

The drivers you want depend on the above entry being selected.

--alessandro

 "Give me love / Or give me hate
 Give me anything that's not just ok"

 (Sophia, 'Weightless')

* Re: 8139cp/too support not accessible?
@ 2008-06-12 15:02   ` Elijah Anderson
From: Elijah Anderson @ 2008-06-12 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Suardi; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thank you. That worked.

Sorry about the confusion, I just didn't know where else to ask. For
future reference, what's a better list to ask for that sort of question?