* how to change priority of telnet session
@ 2008-09-17  3:40 gshan
From: gshan @ 2008-09-17  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi All,

I'm using telnetd which was started by xinetd. The current default
priority of telnetd isn't high enough,
so I want to increase it by conf files. Do you know how to increase
telnet or telnetd's priority through
changing conf files?

root@(none):/etc/xinetd.d# cat telnet
# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

Thanks,
Gavin

* Re: how to change priority of telnet session
@ 2008-09-17  5:29 ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2008-09-17  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gshan; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:40:31 +0800, gshan said:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using telnetd which was started by xinetd. The current default
> priority of telnetd isn't high enough,

1) That's not a kernel issue, that's a userspace configuration issue, probably
best asked on a mailing list for administration of whatever distribution of
Linux you're using.

2) There's a fairly high likelyhood that your real problem isn't that telnet's
priority is too low, because telnet is a fairly lightweight process and *should*
behave fairly well unless there's major system tuning issues - and if that's
the case, there's probably *better* ways to fix the problem.  What problem are
you trying to solve by changing telnet's priority?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: how to change priority of telnet session
@ 2008-09-17  5:35   ` gshan
From: gshan @ 2008-09-17  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis.Kletnieks; +Cc: linux-kernel

> 1) That's not a kernel issue, that's a userspace configuration issue, probably
> best asked on a mailing list for administration of whatever distribution of
> Linux you're using.

I think so, but I don't know what's the mail alias. I finally solved
the problem already: "nice" option could be used in telnetd config
file to increase its priority.
> 2) There's a fairly high likelyhood that your real problem isn't that telnet's
> priority is too low, because telnet is a fairly lightweight process and *should*
> behave fairly well unless there's major system tuning issues - and if that's
> the case, there's probably *better* ways to fix the problem.  What problem are
> you trying to solve by changing telnet's priority?

Sorry, I should have described the issue I have clearly enough: I
want to change priority of telnetd instead of telnet. The telnetd session
is now started by xinetd with config file /etc/xinetd.d/telnet.