* snd-hda-intel no front mute switch
@ 2008-12-31  8:48 Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2008-12-31  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Not sure if I have my configurations correct, but after
pulling the latest git, I notice that my mixer has no switch to mute
the "front", or external speaker on a macbook pro(ati chipset);
other than that the sound sounds really good.
(solution I guess: plug-in headphones, and mute headphone option);

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

* Re: snd-hda-intel no front mute switch
@ 2009-01-01  9:50 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-01-01  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin P. Mattock; +Cc: linux-kernel

At Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:48:34 -0800,
Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> Not sure if I have my configurations correct, but after
> pulling the latest git, I notice that my mixer has no switch to mute
> the "front", or external speaker on a macbook pro(ati chipset);
> other than that the sound sounds really good.
> (solution I guess: plug-in headphones, and mute headphone option);

Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option on both old and
new kernels, and attach the generated files to compare?
The script is found in
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

You can find some other information regarding HD-audio in
Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: snd-hda-intel no front mute switch
@ 2009-01-01 16:47   ` Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2009-01-01 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: linux-kernel

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:48:34 -0800,
> Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>
>> Not sure if I have my configurations correct, but after
>> pulling the latest git, I notice that my mixer has no switch to mute
>> the "front", or external speaker on a macbook pro(ati chipset);
>> other than that the sound sounds really good.
>> (solution I guess: plug-in headphones, and mute headphone option);
>>

> Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option on both old and
> new kernels, and attach the generated files to compare?
> The script is found in
>     http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
>
> You can find some other information regarding HD-audio in
> Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.
>

> thanks,
>
> Takashi

After adjusting my .config,
I am getting a speaker option to mute
the external speakers, as well as the headphones.
the options that I added were:

SND_HRTIMER [=y]
SND_HDA_RECONFIG [=y]
SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP [=y]

before adding these, like what I mentioned
there was no "speaker" option(or "front");
As for the sound itself, I'll have to
blast myself with some good tunes,
and see If I hear or experience any anomalies.
(then wakeup the next day unable to hear);
: )

@ 2009-01-02 10:50     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-01-02 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin P. Mattock; +Cc: linux-kernel

At Thu, 01 Jan 2009 08:47:54 -0800,
Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:48:34 -0800,
> > Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure if I have my configurations correct, but after
> >> pulling the latest git, I notice that my mixer has no switch to mute
> >> the "front", or external speaker on a macbook pro(ati chipset);
> >> other than that the sound sounds really good.
> >> (solution I guess: plug-in headphones, and mute headphone option);
> >>

> > Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option on both old and
> > new kernels, and attach the generated files to compare?
> > The script is found in
> >     http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
> >
> > You can find some other information regarding HD-audio in
> > Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.
> >

> > thanks,
> >
> > Takashi
> >

> After adjusting my .config,
> I am getting a speaker option to mute
> the external speakers, as well as the headphones.
> the options that I added were:
>
> SND_HRTIMER [=y]
> SND_HDA_RECONFIG [=y]
> SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP [=y]
>
> before adding these, like what I mentioned
> there was no "speaker" option(or "front");
> As for the sound itself, I'll have to
> blast myself with some good tunes,
> and see If I hear or experience any anomalies.
> (then wakeup the next day unable to hear);
> : )

Good to hear that it works now.
Could you check which config was broken exactly?
The config items above should be irrelevant with the (first) codec
parsing, at least.

Takashi

* Re: snd-hda-intel no front mute switch
@ 2009-01-02 15:42       ` Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2009-01-02 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: linux-kernel

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 01 Jan 2009 08:47:54 -0800,
> Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>
>> Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option on both old and
>>> new kernels, and attach the generated files to compare?
>>> The script is found in
>>>     http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
>>>
>>> You can find some other information regarding HD-audio in
>>> Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.
>>>

>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Takashi
>>>

>> After adjusting my .config,
>> I am getting a speaker option to mute
>> the external speakers, as well as the headphones.
>> the options that I added were:
>>
>> SND_HRTIMER [=y]
>> SND_HDA_RECONFIG [=y]
>> SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP [=y]
>>
>> before adding these, like what I mentioned
>> there was no "speaker" option(or "front");
>> As for the sound itself, I'll have to
>> blast myself with some good tunes,
>> and see If I hear or experience any anomalies.
>> (then wakeup the next day unable to hear);
>> : )
>>

> Good to hear that it works now.
> Could you check which config was broken exactly?
> The config items above should be irrelevant with the (first) codec
> parsing, at least.
>

> Takashi

I can try and have a look, but if you're telling
me that the above are irrelevant, then it must have been
something else;
luckily I saved 2.6.28-rc9
So I can go ahead and load that kernel, and see,
without adding any config options, what it looks like.
(the problem is there might have been some more commits,
that might have affected that since 4 days ago.);
hence the change from "front" to "Speaker"
on the mixer itself. making this a lost cause.

@ 2009-01-02 19:01       ` Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2009-01-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: linux-kernel

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 01 Jan 2009 08:47:54 -0800,
> Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>
>> Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option on both old and
>>> new kernels, and attach the generated files to compare?
>>> The script is found in
>>>     http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
>>>
>>> You can find some other information regarding HD-audio in
>>> Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.
>>>

>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Takashi
>>>

>> After adjusting my .config,
>> I am getting a speaker option to mute
>> the external speakers, as well as the headphones.
>> the options that I added were:
>>
>> SND_HRTIMER [=y]
>> SND_HDA_RECONFIG [=y]
>> SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP [=y]
>>
>> before adding these, like what I mentioned
>> there was no "speaker" option(or "front");
>> As for the sound itself, I'll have to
>> blast myself with some good tunes,
>> and see If I hear or experience any anomalies.
>> (then wakeup the next day unable to hear);
>> : )
>>

> Good to hear that it works now.
> Could you check which config was broken exactly?
> The config items above should be irrelevant with the (first) codec
> parsing, at least.
>

> Takashi

After thinking back with what I did,
I was using 2.6.28-rc9 then(if I recall);
did a git-pull monday morning.
In the git log I remember seeing this:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=cb10ea549fdc0ab2dd8988adab5bf40b4fa642f3
then after compiling and rebooting
I noticed the mixer had changed.(thus seeing the no button for "front").
then after a few hours I reverted back to 2.6.28-rc9.
waited a few days and did a git-pull Wednesday morning,changed my .config
(after sending the original post);
then noticed that the "front" had changed to "speaker" on the mixer itself.
(telling myself "man I must be seeing things");

As for the .config options you're right, it doesn't make difference.
As for seeing any commits after sunday that might have fixed this
(not sure) I see loads of commits,
I can't keep up with this.

I think the best thing for me to do, is to not say anything,
until after all of this merging is done,(man santa is here!)
 then asses the situation.

Don't mean to cause any heat.

@ 2009-01-03 10:08         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-01-03 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin P. Mattock; +Cc: linux-kernel

At Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:01:47 -0800,
Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Thu, 01 Jan 2009 08:47:54 -0800,
> > Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> >> After adjusting my .config,
> >> I am getting a speaker option to mute
> >> the external speakers, as well as the headphones.
> >> the options that I added were:
> >>
> >> SND_HRTIMER [=y]
> >> SND_HDA_RECONFIG [=y]
> >> SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP [=y]
> >>
> >> before adding these, like what I mentioned
> >> there was no "speaker" option(or "front");
> >> As for the sound itself, I'll have to
> >> blast myself with some good tunes,
> >> and see If I hear or experience any anomalies.
> >> (then wakeup the next day unable to hear);
> >> : )
> >>

> > Good to hear that it works now.
> > Could you check which config was broken exactly?
> > The config items above should be irrelevant with the (first) codec
> > parsing, at least.
> >

> > Takashi
> >

> After thinking back with what I did,
> I was using 2.6.28-rc9 then(if I recall);
> did a git-pull monday morning.
> In the git log I remember seeing this:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=cb10ea549fdc0ab2dd8988adab5bf40b4fa642f3
> then after compiling and rebooting
> I noticed the mixer had changed.(thus seeing the no button for "front").
> then after a few hours I reverted back to 2.6.28-rc9.
> waited a few days and did a git-pull Wednesday morning,changed my .config
> (after sending the original post);
> then noticed that the "front" had changed to "speaker" on the mixer itself.
> (telling myself "man I must be seeing things");
>
> As for the .config options you're right, it doesn't make difference.
> As for seeing any commits after sunday that might have fixed this
> (not sure) I see loads of commits,
> I can't keep up with this.
>
> I think the best thing for me to do, is to not say anything,
> until after all of this merging is done,(man santa is here!)
>  then asses the situation.
>
> Don't mean to cause any heat.

OK, let's see whether Santa really exists and fixed the things
magically :)

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: snd-hda-intel no front mute switch
@ 2009-01-03 10:38           ` Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2009-01-03 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think so, look at CRED
Man that's nice..
Anyways I must have hit git at the wrong time. Thanks for the Info
I'll post if I see any wiered anomalys.

regards,

justin P. Mattock