* [BUG?] SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch
@ 2009-01-12 14:08 Matthias Kaehlcke
From: Matthias Kaehlcke @ 2009-01-12 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phillip; +Cc: linux-kernel

i get the following error when trying to mount a squashfs partition on
an ARM system (edb9302) with linux 2.6.29-rc1:

mount /dev/mtdblock6 /mnt/
SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, older Squashfs 3.1 filesystems
are unsupported
mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock6 on /mnt/ failed: Invalid argument

the image has been created using mksquashfs v3.4:

mksquashfs . /tmp/rootfs.squfs -le -noappend

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Engineer

     La libertad es como la mañana. Hay quienes esperan dormidos a que
   llegue, pero hay quienes desvelan y caminan la noche para alcanzarla
                        (Subcomandante Marcos)
                                                                 .''`.
    using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org  : :'  :
                                                                `. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4                  `-

* Re: [BUG?] SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch
@ 2009-01-12 14:49 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2009-01-12 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Kaehlcke; +Cc: phillip, linux-kernel

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Matthias Kaehlcke wrote:
> i get the following error when trying to mount a squashfs partition on
> an ARM system (edb9302) with linux 2.6.29-rc1:
>
> mount /dev/mtdblock6 /mnt/
> SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, older Squashfs 3.1 filesystems
> are unsupported
> mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock6 on /mnt/ failed: Invalid argument
>
> the image has been created using mksquashfs v3.4:
>
> mksquashfs . /tmp/rootfs.squfs -le -noappend

You have to use a version of mksquashfs that creates file systems with the v4.0
layout, i.e. from the squashfs-tools on SourceForge.net:

    git-cvsimport -v -d :pserver:anonymous@squashfs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squashfs squashfs

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010

* Re: [BUG?] SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch
@ 2009-01-12 14:53 ` Phillip Lougher
From: Phillip Lougher @ 2009-01-12 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Kaehlcke, phillip, linux-kernel

Matthias Kaehlcke wrote:
> i get the following error when trying to mount a squashfs partition on
> an ARM system (edb9302) with linux 2.6.29-rc1:
>
> mount /dev/mtdblock6 /mnt/
> SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, older Squashfs 3.1 filesystems
> are unsupported
> mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock6 on /mnt/ failed: Invalid argument
>
> the image has been created using mksquashfs v3.4:
>
> mksquashfs . /tmp/rootfs.squfs -le -noappend

You have to use the latest version of Mksquashfs in CVS available
from http://squashfs.org.

git-cvsimport -v -d :pserver:anonymous@squashfs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squashfs squashfs

Phillip

* Re: [BUG?] SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch
@ 2009-01-12 15:06   ` Matthias Kaehlcke
From: Matthias Kaehlcke @ 2009-01-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: phillip, linux-kernel

El Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 03:49:36PM +0100 Geert Uytterhoeven ha dit:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Matthias Kaehlcke wrote:
> > i get the following error when trying to mount a squashfs partition on
> > an ARM system (edb9302) with linux 2.6.29-rc1:
> >
> > mount /dev/mtdblock6 /mnt/
> > SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, older Squashfs 3.1 filesystems
> > are unsupported
> > mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock6 on /mnt/ failed: Invalid argument
> >
> > the image has been created using mksquashfs v3.4:
> >
> > mksquashfs . /tmp/rootfs.squfs -le -noappend
>
> You have to use a version of mksquashfs that creates file systems with the v4.0
> layout, i.e. from the squashfs-tools on SourceForge.net:
>
>     git-cvsimport -v -d :pserver:anonymous@squashfs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squashfs squashfs

thanks to both of you for the pointer!

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Engineer

    Ma patrie est où je suis, où personne ne me dérange, où personne
    ne me demande que je suis, d'où je viens et ce que je fais
                              (B. Traven)
                                                                 .''`.

@ 2009-01-12 22:11   ` Woody Suwalski
From: Woody Suwalski @ 2009-01-12 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lougher; +Cc: Matthias Kaehlcke, linux-kernel

Phillip Lougher wrote:
> Matthias Kaehlcke wrote:
>> i get the following error when trying to mount a squashfs partition on
>> an ARM system (edb9302) with linux 2.6.29-rc1:
>>
>> mount /dev/mtdblock6 /mnt/
>> SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, older Squashfs 3.1 filesystems
>> are unsupported
>> mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock6 on /mnt/ failed: Invalid argument
>>
>> the image has been created using mksquashfs v3.4:
>>
>> mksquashfs . /tmp/rootfs.squfs -le -noappend
>>

> You have to use the latest version of Mksquashfs in CVS available
> from http://squashfs.org.
>
> git-cvsimport -v -d
> :pserver:anonymous@squashfs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squashfs
> squashfs
>
> Phillip

Does not look good! I have squashfs images which work OK in 3.3 and 3.4,
but now I try to boot 2.6.29-rc1 and it can not mount my squashfs root
partition!
Does it mean that squashfs4 is not backward-compatible? If so - I can
not use it - all my images are generated on 3.3 .. 3.4...

Woody

--
Woody Suwalski, Xandros, Ottawa, Canada, 1-613-842-3498 x414

* Re: [BUG?] SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch
@ 2009-01-13  9:00     ` Phillip Lougher
From: Phillip Lougher @ 2009-01-13  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woody Suwalski; +Cc: Matthias Kaehlcke, linux-kernel

Woody Suwalski wrote:
> Phillip Lougher wrote:
>>
>> You have to use the latest version of Mksquashfs in CVS available
>> from http://squashfs.org.
>>
>> git-cvsimport -v -d
>> :pserver:anonymous@squashfs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squashfs
>> squashfs
>>
>> Phillip
>>
> Does not look good! I have squashfs images which work OK in 3.3 and 3.4,
> but now I try to boot 2.6.29-rc1 and it can not mount my squashfs root
> partition!
> Does it mean that squashfs4 is not backward-compatible? If so - I can
> not use it - all my images are generated on 3.3 .. 3.4...

Backwards compatibility was dropped as part of the original review
complaints against mainlining.  The new 4.0 layout was necessary to address
some issues again relating to the original review complaints.  The 4.0
layout is designed to hopefully not require any further modification in the
future.

Ultimately this does mean the Squashfs mainline code will never be able to
read older filesystems.  But, unsquashfs will always be able to read all
filesystem versions, and I'll maintain out-of-tree patches that add
backwards compatibility to the kernel code for those that need it.  This
should be finished in the near future.

Philllip