* KVM 10/Gb Ethernet PCIe passthrough with Linux/iSCSI and large block sizes
@ 2009-05-15  4:29 Nicholas A. Bellinger
From: Nicholas A. Bellinger @ 2009-05-15  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel, linux-scsi, Linux-netdev, LKML
  Cc: Andrew Morton, H. Peter Anvin, Hannes Reinecke, FUJITA Tomonori,
	Mike Christie, Christoph Hellwig, James Bottomley, Sheng Yang,
	Leonid Grossman, Ramkrishna Vepa, Rastapur Santosh

Greetings all,

The first test results for Linux/iSCSI Initiators and targets for large
block sizes using 10 Gb/sec Ethernet + PCIe device-passthrough into
Linux/KVM guests have been posted at:

http://linux-iscsi.org/index.php/KVM-LIO-Target

So far, the results have been quite impressive using the Neterion X3100
series hardware with recent KVM-85 stable code (with Marcelo's patches,
see the above link) on v2.6.29.2 KVM guests, and using v2.6.30-rc3 KVM
Hosts.

Using iSCSI RFC defined MC/S to scale a *single* KVM accessable
Linux/iSCSI Logical Unit to 10 Gb/sec line-rate speeds has been
successful using Core-iSCSI WRITE/READ (bi-directional) traffic using
Linux-Test-Project disktest pthreaded benchmark with O_DIRECT enabled.
Using Core-iSCSI MC/S w/ iSCSI READ (uni-directional) the average is
about 6-7 Gb/sec, and with MC/S iSCSI WRITE (uni-directional) the
average is about 5 Gb/sec to the RAMDISK_DR and FILEIO storage objects
for these same streaming tests.  Please see the link for more
information on the tests and hardware/software setup.

The tests have been run with both upstream Open-iSCSI and Core-iSCSI
Initiators against Target_Core_Mod/LIO-Target v3.0 in KVM guests.  It is
important to note that these tests have been run with tcp_sendpage()
disabled (tcp_sendpage() is enabled by default in LIO-Target and
Open-iSCSI) in 10 Gb/sec KVM guests, which have been disable into order
to get up running with the 10 Gb/sec hardware.  1 Gb/sec e1000e ports
are stable with sendpage() in LIO-Target KVM guests, and these will be
enabled in 10 Gb/sec hardware in subsequent tests.  Also note that
Open-iSCSI WRITEs using tcp_sendpage() have been ommited for this first
run of tests.

It is also important to note that both iSCSI MC/S and dm-multipath are
methods to allow a single Linux/SCSI Logical Unit to scale across
multiple TCP connections using the iSCSI Protocol.  Both of these
methods (iSCSI RFC fabric level multiplexing and OS-level SCSI
Multipath) allow for means for scaling across multiple X3110 Vpaths
(MSI-X TX/RX pairs), and MC/S is a method that has a low amount of
overhead.

Some of the future setups for KVM + 10 Gb/sec will be using dm-multipath
block devices, 10 Gb/sec Ethernet PCIe multi-function mode into KVM
guest, as well as PCIe SR-IOV on recent IOMMU capable hardware
platforms.

Many thanks to the Neterion folks and Sheng Yang for answering my
questions!

--nab

* Re: KVM 10/Gb Ethernet PCIe passthrough with Linux/iSCSI and large block sizes
@ 2009-05-17 19:53 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-05-17 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas A. Bellinger
  Cc: kvm-devel, linux-scsi, Linux-netdev, LKML, Andrew Morton,
	H. Peter Anvin, Hannes Reinecke, FUJITA Tomonori, Mike Christie,

Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> The first test results for Linux/iSCSI Initiators and targets for large
> block sizes using 10 Gb/sec Ethernet + PCIe device-passthrough into
> Linux/KVM guests have been posted at:
>
> http://linux-iscsi.org/index.php/KVM-LIO-Target
>
> So far, the results have been quite impressive using the Neterion X3100
> series hardware with recent KVM-85 stable code (with Marcelo's patches,
> see the above link) on v2.6.29.2 KVM guests, and using v2.6.30-rc3 KVM
> Hosts.

Thanks for posting this!  Very impressive results.