* Linux Bridge Module
@ 2009-06-08  5:56 eko suwarsono
From: eko suwarsono @ 2009-06-08  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all

I'm newbies on this mailing list, so please advise me if i asking the
wrong question.
I had plan to add bridge module (bridge.ko) on embedded system which i
got from vendor. the embedded linux system is using Debian sarge 1.3
and has linux kernel 2.6.20.4 with gcc 3.4.4. the operating system is
installed on CF card

i tried to compile the linux kernel 2.6.20.4 using gcc 3.4.4 on
another system which using ubuntu feisty to get the bridge.ko module.
and then copying the module into the embedded system.

the problem here that the insmod complaining : -1 invalid module format.

can somebody help me on this? many thanks for all

* Re: Linux Bridge Module
@ 2009-06-08  6:30 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2009-06-08  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eko suwarsono; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 01:56:14PM +0800, eko suwarsono wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm newbies on this mailing list, so please advise me if i asking the
> wrong question.
> I had plan to add bridge module (bridge.ko) on embedded system which i
> got from vendor. the embedded linux system is using Debian sarge 1.3
> and has linux kernel 2.6.20.4 with gcc 3.4.4. the operating system is
> installed on CF card
>
> i tried to compile the linux kernel 2.6.20.4 using gcc 3.4.4 on
> another system which using ubuntu feisty to get the bridge.ko module.
> and then copying the module into the embedded system.
>
> the problem here that the insmod complaining : -1 invalid module format.
>
> can somebody help me on this? many thanks for all

Do you use a cross compiler that match your target?
Does file bridge.ko detect the correct architecture?
Can you build and load other modules?

If you can answer yes to the baove try posting the Makefile you use.
Many external modules uses a 2.4 style Makefile which does not work with kernel 2.6.

	Sam

* Re: Linux Bridge Module
@ 2009-06-08  6:40 ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2009-06-08  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eko suwarsono; +Cc: linux-kernel

eko suwarsono a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> I'm newbies on this mailing list, so please advise me if i asking the
> wrong question.
> I had plan to add bridge module (bridge.ko) on embedded system which i
> got from vendor. the embedded linux system is using Debian sarge 1.3
> and has linux kernel 2.6.20.4 with gcc 3.4.4. the operating system is
> installed on CF card
>
> i tried to compile the linux kernel 2.6.20.4 using gcc 3.4.4 on
> another system which using ubuntu feisty to get the bridge.ko module.
> and then copying the module into the embedded system.
>
> the problem here that the insmod complaining : -1 invalid module format.
>
> can somebody help me on this? many thanks for all

Take a look at dmesg output

Also, has your embedded system provided a /boot/config-2.6.20.4 file ?
If not, it will be difficult to match all configuration settings...