* Network activity after route changes
@ 2010-04-17 16:02 Oleg Kutkov
From: Oleg Kutkov @ 2010-04-17 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello.
I try to send and receive ethernet packets on very low level in my
kernel module.
When i change routin table (via route command) my network is freeze for
~15 seconds and my application can't send and receive any packets.
Is it normal or bug somewhere in my application?
Can i change this behavior of route system, maybe change some timeouts,
or immediately flush route (rt_flush() ?) table?

Thanks.

* Network activity after route changes
@ 2010-04-18 11:15 ` Oleg Kutkov
From: Oleg Kutkov @ 2010-04-18 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello.
I try to send and receive ethernet packets on very low level in my
kernel module.
When i change (add or delete entry) routin table (via route command) my
network is freeze for ~15 seconds and my application can't send and
receive any packets.
Is it normal or bug somewhere in my application?
Can i change this behavior of route system? Maybe change some timeouts,
or immediately flush route (rt_flush() ?) table?

Thanks.

* Re: Network activity after route changes
@ 2010-04-18 12:07   ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2010-04-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Kutkov; +Cc: linux-kernel

Le dimanche 18 avril 2010 à 14:15 +0300, Oleg Kutkov a écrit :
> Hello.
> I try to send and receive ethernet packets on very low level in my
> kernel module.
> When i change (add or delete entry) routin table (via route command) my
> network is freeze for ~15 seconds and my application can't send and
> receive any packets.
> Is it normal or bug somewhere in my application?
> Can i change this behavior of route system? Maybe change some timeouts,
> or immediately flush route (rt_flush() ?) table?
>
> Thanks.

I guess its a bug in your module, since user apps dont experience this
interesting phenomena :)

* Re: Network activity after route changes
@ 2010-04-18 16:45   ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2010-04-18 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Kutkov; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 18/04/10 12:15, Oleg Kutkov wrote:
> Hello.
> I try to send and receive ethernet packets on very low level in my
> kernel module.
> When i change (add or delete entry) routin table (via route command)
> my network is freeze for ~15 seconds and my application can't send and
> receive any packets.
> Is it normal or bug somewhere in my application?
> Can i change this behavior of route system? Maybe change some
> timeouts, or immediately flush route (rt_flush() ?) table?

Depending on your routing configuration the change may be causing the
problem. Have you tried flushing the route cache (as opposed to the main
routing table)?

# ip route flush table cache

matt

* Re: Network activity after route changes
@ 2010-04-19  8:14     ` Oleg Kutkov
From: Oleg Kutkov @ 2010-04-19  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt, linux-kernel

Thank, but this does not help me. Maybe it really my bug.