* Error in Hyper-V modules hv_vmbus
@ 2011-04-30 14:39 root
From: root @ 2011-04-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, kys

Hello

I have compiled and installed the new 2.6.39-rc5 linux kernel with
Microsoft Hyper-V modules enabled on my Debian Squeeze system. After a
reboot I get these errors (sorry can post only screenshots because I
can't copy the log):

http://docs.homelinux.org/hv

and system doesn't boot. What's wrong? I think modprobe can't load
hv_vmbus?!?

Regards
Juan Dos Santos

* RE: Error in Hyper-V modules hv_vmbus
@ 2011-04-30 20:28 ` KY Srinivasan
From: KY Srinivasan @ 2011-04-30 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root, linux-kernel

What is the version of the Windows host. I have seen some issues with
older hosts, where the vmbus driver does not get the correct irq. I have
submitted a patch for this (this is yet to be applied by Greg).

Regards,

K. Y

* Re: Error in Hyper-V modules hv_vmbus
@ 2011-05-01 12:37   ` root
From: root @ 2011-05-01 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KY Srinivasan; +Cc: linux-kernel

Windows Server Core 2008 R2 with SP2

@ 2011-05-01 15:23     ` KY Srinivasan
From: KY Srinivasan @ 2011-05-01 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thank you. I will get back to you after some testing locally.
I have already submitted a patch for dealing with irq allocation
on some windows hosts (yet to be applied). I will verify if this patch fixes your problem.

Regards,

K. Y

@ 2011-05-03 13:42     ` KY Srinivasan
From: KY Srinivasan @ 2011-05-03 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root; +Cc: linux-kernel

This is a known problem and a fix has been submitted - the patch is yet to be applied
though. Once the hv patches that are in the queue are applied, this problem
will be fixed. In the interim, if you want an immediate fix, I could send you the patch
that will apply against the tree you have.

Regards,

K. Y

@ 2011-05-03 14:51       ` root
       [not found]         ` <6E21E5352C11B742B20C142EB499E0481DF899@TK5EX14MBXC124.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
From: root @ 2011-05-03 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KY Srinivasan; +Cc: linux-kernel

 On Tue, 3 May 2011 13:42:43 +0000, KY Srinivasan wrote:
> [...]

 Could You send me the patch? So I can test it, I am using the kernel
 source from
 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/linux-2.6.39-rc5.tar.bz2,
 is the patch compatible with this kernel source?

@ 2011-05-03 18:29           ` Hank Janssen
From: Hank Janssen @ 2011-05-03 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KY Srinivasan, root; +Cc: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 1971 bytes --]

Juan,

I just fixed a few issues in Ubuntu 10.10 that might be similar.

I will spin up a debian system and see if I can reproduce the problem and submit a patch
To fix it.

Hank.

ÿôèº{.nÇ+‰·Ÿ®‰­†+%ŠËÿ±éݶ\x17¥Šwÿº{.nÇ+‰·¥Š{±þG«éÿŠ{ayº\x1dʇڙë,j\a­¢f£¢·hšïêÿ‘êçz_è®\x03(­éšŽŠÝ¢j"ú\x1a¶^[m§ÿÿ¾\a«þG«éÿ¢¸?™¨è­Ú&£ø§~á¶iO•æ¬z·švØ^\x14\x04\x1a¶^[m§ÿÿÃ\fÿ¶ìÿ¢¸?–I¥

@ 2011-05-03 18:42           ` Hank Janssen
From: Hank Janssen @ 2011-05-03 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KY Srinivasan, root; +Cc: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 2059 bytes --]

@ 2011-05-03 21:27             ` Juan Dos Santos
From: Juan Dos Santos @ 2011-05-03 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hank

Ok thanks, tomorrow I will post dmesg and more debuging stuff about this

@ 2011-05-05 18:45       ` Hank Janssen
From: Hank Janssen @ 2011-05-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdossantos; +Cc: KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 2423 bytes --]

Juan,

I just spun up the debian VM and I downloaded the latest staging and the rc5 that
failed for you and I was about to compile it.

Let me see what happened between rc5 and rc6 to see what might have solved the
problem you were seeing.

I would say that in general the older kernels (certainly 35 and 36) are more stable
than mainline for our drivers. We are making so many changes to mainline right now
and that sometimes there are a few bugs that creep in that we have not caught yet.

They are not so much functional as structural changes.

But I would not recommend running it in production unless you like to live
dangerously. :)

@ 2011-05-05 18:05     ` jdossantos
From: jdossantos @ 2011-05-05 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hank Janssen; +Cc: KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel

@ 2011-05-05 12:05   ` jdossantos
From: jdossantos @ 2011-05-05 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hank Janssen; +Cc: KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel

 On Wed, 4 May 2011 16:00:52 +0000, Hank Janssen wrote:

 Hi Hank

@ 2011-05-04 16:00 ` Hank Janssen
From: Hank Janssen @ 2011-05-04 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdossantos; +Cc: KY Srinivasan, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 1686 bytes --]

@ 2011-05-04  9:48 jdossantos
From: jdossantos @ 2011-05-04  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

 VM configuration:
 Host: Windows Server 2008 Core R2 with SP1
 Networkcard: Old emulated card
 Integratedservices: Shutdown, Timesync, Heartbeat
 CPU: 4
 Memory: 512 MB
 Harddisk: IDE 10 GB

 OS Installation:
 Debian Squeeze 6.0.1a (2.6.32-5-amd64)
 Standard installation without any installation packages

 Kernel installation:
 aptitude install kernel-package libncurses-dev
 cd /usr/src
 wget
 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/linux-2.6.39-rc6.tar.bz2
 tar xfvj linux-2.6.39-rc6.tar.bz2
 cd linux-2.6.39-rc6/
 make clean
 make mrproper
 cp /boot/config-2.6.32-5-amd64 .config
 make menuconfig

 {Divice Drivers -> Stagin Drivers -> <M> Microsoft Hyper-V client
 drivers}
 Here You can find the .config file http://docs.homelinux.org/hv/.config

 export CUNCURRENCY_LEVEL=4
 make-kpkg --append-to-version "-hyperv" --revision "1" --us --uc
 --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers
 cd ..
 dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.39-rc6-hyperv_1_amd64.deb
 linux-headers-2.6.39-rc6-hyperv_1_amd64.deb
 ls -l /boot/
 total 27640
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   106088 Mar  8 01:18 config-2.6.32-5-amd64
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   125214 May  4 11:31 config-2.6.39-rc6-hyperv
 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root     4096 May  4 12:56 grub
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9095609 May  4 09:10 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10388314 May  4 12:56
 initrd.img-2.6.39-rc6-hyperv
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1662514 Mar  8 01:18 System.map-2.6.32-5-amd64
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1839410 May  4 12:52
 System.map-2.6.39-rc6-hyperv
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2418720 Mar  8 01:12 vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2590800 May  4 12:52 vmlinuz-2.6.39-rc6-hyperv
 reboot

 After the reboot I get the "INFO: task modprobe:307 blocked for more
 than 120 seconds." message
 and boot is haning for 170 seconds, here are the logs:
 http://docs.homelinux.org/hv/syslog
 http://docs.homelinux.org/hv/messages
 http://docs.homelinux.org/hv/dmesg

 lsmod | grep hv_
 hv_timesource           1055  0 [permanent]
 hv_vmbus               48554  1

 In the logs and with lsmod i see the timesource module running, but the
 time is not in sync with the windows host.
 Shutdown function also dosn't work, seems that nothing of the
 integrated components are working..hv_netvsc,hv_blkvsc,hv_storvsc are
 not
 loaded?! But modinfo provides information:

 modinfo hv_vmbus
 filename:
 /lib/modules/2.6.39-rc6-hyperv/kernel/drivers/staging/hv/hv_vmbus.ko
 version:        3.1
 license:        GPL
 srcversion:     334F59AED9605F8C3B7696F
 alias:          pci:v00001414d00005353sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
 alias:
 dmi*:svn*MicrosoftCorporation*:pn*VirtualMachine*:rn*VirtualMachine*:
 depends:
 staging:        Y
 vermagic:       2.6.39-rc6-hyperv SMP mod_unload modversions
 parm:           vmbus_irq:int
 parm:           vmbus_loglevel:int

 modinfo hv_timesource
 filename:
 /lib/modules/2.6.39-rc6-hyperv/kernel/drivers/staging/hv/hv_timesource.ko
 license:        GPL
 author:         K. Y. Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@novell.com>
 alias:          pci:v00001414d00005353sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
 alias:
 dmi*:svn*MicrosoftCorporation*:pn*VirtualMachine*:rn*VirtualMachine*:
 depends:
 staging:        Y
 vermagic:       2.6.39-rc6-hyperv SMP mod_unload modversions

 modinfo hv_netvsc
 filename:
 /lib/modules/2.6.39-rc6-hyperv/kernel/drivers/staging/hv/hv_netvsc.ko
 version:        3.1
 license:        GPL
 srcversion:     EA7C82EAB799B90B4F6BFA6
 alias:          pci:v00001414d00005353sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
 alias:
 dmi*:svn*MicrosoftCorporation*:pn*VirtualMachine*:rn*VirtualMachine*:
 depends:        hv_vmbus
 staging:        Y
 vermagic:       2.6.39-rc6-hyperv SMP mod_unload modversions
 parm:           ring_size:Ring buffer size (# of pages) (int)

 modinfo hv_storvsc
 filename:
 /lib/modules/2.6.39-rc6-hyperv/kernel/drivers/staging/hv/hv_storvsc.ko
 version:        3.1
 license:        GPL
 srcversion:     23688D30D5A66982D2BB67F
 depends:        scsi_mod,hv_vmbus
 staging:        Y
 vermagic:       2.6.39-rc6-hyperv SMP mod_unload modversions
 parm:           storvsc_ringbuffer_size:Ring buffer size (bytes) (int)

 modinfo hv_blkvsc
 filename:
 /lib/modules/2.6.39-rc6-hyperv/kernel/drivers/staging/hv/hv_blkvsc.ko
 version:        3.1
 license:        GPL
 srcversion:     5B375CF1D6F5581A05B1026
 depends:        scsi_mod,hv_vmbus
 staging:        Y
 vermagic:       2.6.39-rc6-hyperv SMP mod_unload modversions
 parm:           blkvsc_ringbuffer_size:int
 parm:           ring_size:Ring buffer size (in bytes)

 After that I enabled the synthetic network card, but also here..it
 doesn't work and I don't see any hv_netvsc
 module loaded, so I tried to load it "by hand" with modprobe
 hv_netvsc..but I get a modprobe timeout and nothing happens..

 Can someone repruduce it? Is there a patch for kernel linux-2.6.39-rc6?

 Regards
 Juan Dos Santos