* Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-02  9:42 Lars Noodén
From: Lars Noodén @ 2011-11-02  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

There seem to be two problems here, one is that the hardware is getting
WAY too hot, another is that the fan is not turning on when the hardware
gets too hot.

  $ uname -a
  Linux xubuntu 3.1.0-999-generic #201110270406 SMP Thu Oct 27
  08:07:41 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've reported the problem to Ubuntu
and the suggestion there was to report it upstream.

On the notebook computer, parts become very hot to the touch while
running Ubuntu, but the fan does not run even after it gets hot.  When I
boot back to OS X, the fan kicks in and runs until the computer returns
to being cool to the touch.  Similar for the desktop, though I must
follow the temperature with /usr/bin/sensors.

The notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the desktop is a Macmini3,1

What metrics do I need to collect to help fix the problem?  I've already
reported the problem to Ubuntu[2] and the recommendation was to try
reporting upstream.

Please CC me in the replies.
/Lars

[1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03  2:03 ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2011-11-03  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Noodén; +Cc: linux-kernel, lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 05:42:39AM -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> There seem to be two problems here, one is that the hardware is getting
> WAY too hot, another is that the fan is not turning on when the hardware
> gets too hot.
>
>   $ uname -a
>   Linux xubuntu 3.1.0-999-generic #201110270406 SMP Thu Oct 27
>   08:07:41 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I've reported the problem to Ubuntu
> 	https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593
> and the suggestion there was to report it upstream.
>
> On the notebook computer, parts become very hot to the touch while
> running Ubuntu, but the fan does not run even after it gets hot.  When I
> boot back to OS X, the fan kicks in and runs until the computer returns
> to being cool to the touch.  Similar for the desktop, though I must
> follow the temperature with /usr/bin/sensors.
>
> The notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the desktop is a Macmini3,1
>
> What metrics do I need to collect to help fix the problem?  I've already
> reported the problem to Ubuntu[2] and the recommendation was to try
> reporting upstream.
>
> Please CC me in the replies.
> /Lars
>
> [1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/
>
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593

I see
	applesmc: : read arg fail
in the dmesg log. No idea what that means. Maybe the driver maintainer
or someone else on the lm-sensors mailing list can help.

Not sure I understand your comment about having to follow the output of the
sensors command. Can you clarify ? Also, do you get any output from the sensors
command on the notebook ?

Thanks,
Guenter

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03  8:29   ` Lars Noodén
From: Lars Noodén @ 2011-11-03  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck; +Cc: linux-kernel, lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg

On 11/03/2011 04:03 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> From LKML:
>
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 05:42:39AM -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> There seem to be two problems here, one is that the hardware is
>> getting WAY too hot, another is that the fan is not turning on when
>> the hardware gets too hot.
>>
>> $ uname -a Linux xubuntu 3.1.0-999-generic #201110270406 SMP Thu
>> Oct 27 08:07:41 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> I've reported the problem to Ubuntu
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593 and the
>> suggestion there was to report it upstream.
>>
>> On the notebook computer, parts become very hot to the touch while
>> running Ubuntu, but the fan does not run even after it gets hot.
>> When I boot back to OS X, the fan kicks in and runs until the
>> computer returns to being cool to the touch.  Similar for the
>> desktop, though I must follow the temperature with
>> /usr/bin/sensors.
>>
>> The notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the desktop is a Macmini3,1
>>
>> What metrics do I need to collect to help fix the problem?  I've
>> already reported the problem to Ubuntu[2] and the recommendation
>> was to try reporting upstream.
>>
>> Please CC me in the replies. /Lars
>>
>> [1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/
>>
>> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593
>
> I see applesmc: : read arg fail in the dmesg log. No idea what that
> means. Maybe the driver maintainer or someone else on the lm-sensors
>  mailing list can help.
>
> Not sure I understand your comment about having to follow the output
>  of the sensors command. Can you clarify ?

That's to track the temperature manually.

> Also, do you get any output from the sensors command on the notebook?
> Thanks, Guenter

Yes.  It claims to have 24 temperature sensors.

/Lars

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 13:49     ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2011-11-03 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Noodén; +Cc: linux-kernel, lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 04:29:49AM -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 04:03 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > From LKML:
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 05:42:39AM -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> >> There seem to be two problems here, one is that the hardware is
> >> getting WAY too hot, another is that the fan is not turning on when
> >> the hardware gets too hot.
> >>
> >> $ uname -a Linux xubuntu 3.1.0-999-generic #201110270406 SMP Thu
> >> Oct 27 08:07:41 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> I've reported the problem to Ubuntu
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593 and the
> >> suggestion there was to report it upstream.
> >>
> >> On the notebook computer, parts become very hot to the touch while
> >> running Ubuntu, but the fan does not run even after it gets hot.
> >> When I boot back to OS X, the fan kicks in and runs until the
> >> computer returns to being cool to the touch.  Similar for the
> >> desktop, though I must follow the temperature with
> >> /usr/bin/sensors.
> >>
> >> The notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the desktop is a Macmini3,1
> >>
> >> What metrics do I need to collect to help fix the problem?  I've
> >> already reported the problem to Ubuntu[2] and the recommendation
> >> was to try reporting upstream.
> >>
> >> Please CC me in the replies. /Lars
> >>
> >> [1] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/
> >>
> >> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593
> >
> > I see applesmc: : read arg fail in the dmesg log. No idea what that
> > means. Maybe the driver maintainer or someone else on the lm-sensors
> >  mailing list can help.
> >
> > Not sure I understand your comment about having to follow the output
> >  of the sensors command. Can you clarify ?
>
> That's to track the temperature manually.
>
> > Also, do you get any output from the sensors command on the notebook?
> > Thanks, Guenter
>
> Yes.  It claims to have 24 temperature sensors.

Does it report any fans ? If it does, can you try setting the fan speed ?

Thanks,
Guenter

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 14:25       ` Lars Noodén
From: Lars Noodén @ 2011-11-03 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck; +Cc: linux-kernel, lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg

On 11/03/2011 03:49 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 04:29:49AM -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> On 11/03/2011 04:03 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>>> From LKML:

>>> I see applesmc: : read arg fail in the dmesg log. No idea what that
>>> means. Maybe the driver maintainer or someone else on the lm-sensors
>>>  mailing list can help.
>>>
>>> Not sure I understand your comment about having to follow the output
>>>  of the sensors command. Can you clarify ?
>>
>> That's to track the temperature manually.
>>
>>> Also, do you get any output from the sensors command on the notebook?
>>> Thanks, Guenter
>>
>> Yes.  It claims to have 24 temperature sensors.
>>
> Does it report any fans ? If it does, can you try setting the fan speed ?

The one machine reports one fan and the other two fans.  I haven't found
a way to set the fan speed manually.  The output from sensors
is
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/44
and here
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/47

/Lars

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 15:06         ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2011-11-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Noodén; +Cc: linux-kernel, lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:25 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 03:49 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> >> That's to track the temperature manually.

> >> Yes.  It claims to have 24 temperature sensors.
> >>
> > Does it report any fans ? If it does, can you try setting the fan speed ?
>
> The one machine reports one fan and the other two fans.  I haven't found
> a way to set the fan speed manually.  The output from sensors
> is
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/44
> and here
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/47

Do the fans actually turn, or is the output bogus ?

You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
device).

Thanks,
Guenter

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 15:19           ` Lars Noodén
From: Lars Noodén @ 2011-11-03 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guenter.roeck; +Cc: linux-kernel, lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg

On 11/03/2011 05:06 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:25 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
[snip]
>> The one machine reports one fan and the other two fans.  I haven't found
>> a way to set the fan speed manually.  The output from sensors
>> is
>>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/44
>> and here
>>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/47
>
> Do the fans actually turn, or is the output bogus ?

The output is bogus, the fans are not turning.  On #47 there above, I
think the temperatures might be inaccurate, too.  Since they'll go up
and down as much as 8 degrees in a few seconds.

> You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
> and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
> in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
> device).

I can set the fan speed manually.  e.g.:

 echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output

That helps some.

/Lars

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 15:32             ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2011-11-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Noodén; +Cc: linux-kernel, lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 11:19 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 05:06 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:25 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> [snip]
> >> The one machine reports one fan and the other two fans.  I haven't found
> >> a way to set the fan speed manually.  The output from sensors
> >> is
> >>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/44
> >> and here
> >>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/47
> >
> > Do the fans actually turn, or is the output bogus ?
>
> The output is bogus, the fans are not turning.  On #47 there above, I
> think the temperatures might be inaccurate, too.  Since they'll go up
> and down as much as 8 degrees in a few seconds.

Maybe 2000 really reflects 0. Not sure about the temperatures - I think
especially the CPU temperature can change pretty fast. Or maybe the
sensors are just not very accurate.

> > You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
> > and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
> > in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
> > device).
>
> I can set the fan speed manually.  e.g.:
>
>  echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output
>
> That helps some.

If you can do that, you should be able to set up fancontrol to
automatically control fan speed based on system temperatures.

There is another sysfs attribute - fanX_manual. I don't find driver
documentation, so I have no idea what it is doing. The name indicates
that it might set manual vs. automatic fan control. What is it set to in
your system ? From the code, looks like it should be 0 or 1. Try to
toggle it and see what happens - after all, it can not get worse ;).

Guenter

* Re: [lm-sensors] Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 16:38           ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2011-11-03 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guenter.roeck; +Cc: Lars Noodén, Henrik Rydberg, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:06:41 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
> and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
> in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
> device).

Note that fanX_input is always a read-only file, so writing to it isn't
going to do anything.

fanX_output is not a standard attribute for hwmon devices, it shouldn't
be there in the first place... The applesmc driver doesn't see to
follow the standard interface, so it's probably best to not assume too
much.

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 16:43               ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2011-11-03 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guenter.roeck; +Cc: Lars Noodén, Henrik Rydberg, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:32:02 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 11:19 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> > I can set the fan speed manually.  e.g.:
> >
> >  echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output
> >
> > That helps some.
> >
> If you can do that, you should be able to set up fancontrol to
> automatically control fan speed based on system temperatures.

This won't work, as fancontrol wants pwmX attributes which the applesmc
driver doesn't implement.

> There is another sysfs attribute - fanX_manual. I don't find driver
> documentation, so I have no idea what it is doing. The name indicates
> that it might set manual vs. automatic fan control. What is it set to in
> your system ? From the code, looks like it should be 0 or 1. Try to
> toggle it and see what happens - after all, it can not get worse ;).

Might be worth looking at files fanX_min, _max and _safe too. Too bad
there doesn't seem to be any documentation available for all these
non-standard attributes :(

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 16:55                 ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2011-11-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Delvare; +Cc: Lars Noodén, Henrik Rydberg, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 12:43 -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:32:02 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 11:19 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> > > I can set the fan speed manually.  e.g.:
> > >
> > >  echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output
> > >
> > > That helps some.
> > >
> > If you can do that, you should be able to set up fancontrol to
> > automatically control fan speed based on system temperatures.
>
> This won't work, as fancontrol wants pwmX attributes which the applesmc
> driver doesn't implement.

Yes, you are right - it won't work without patching it to use
fanX_output and to accept larger values for the limits.

Wonder how this works for other Apple systems. Maybe there is an
Apple-specific script out there to control fan speed.

> > There is another sysfs attribute - fanX_manual. I don't find driver
> > documentation, so I have no idea what it is doing. The name indicates
> > that it might set manual vs. automatic fan control. What is it set to in
> > your system ? From the code, looks like it should be 0 or 1. Try to
> > toggle it and see what happens - after all, it can not get worse ;).
>
> Might be worth looking at files fanX_min, _max and _safe too. Too bad
> there doesn't seem to be any documentation available for all these
> non-standard attributes :(

Here is some info from the web about the problem. See
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-981280.html.

So, for those that have reported high temperatures due to low fan
speeds: check the value of

cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual

With no software control of the fans, which is the case with the
macbooks (fancontrol and pwmconfig does not work), the fan speed seems
to be controlled automatically by the SMC without issues - but only if
fan1_manual is zero.

@ 2011-11-03 17:04                   ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2011-11-03 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Delvare; +Cc: lm-sensors, Henrik Rydberg, Lars Noodén, linux-kernel

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 12:55 -0400, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 12:43 -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:

> > > If you can do that, you should be able to set up fancontrol to
> > > automatically control fan speed based on system temperatures.
> >
> > This won't work, as fancontrol wants pwmX attributes which the applesmc
> > driver doesn't implement.
> >
> Yes, you are right - it won't work without patching it to use
> fanX_output and to accept larger values for the limits.
>
> Wonder how this works for other Apple systems. Maybe there is an
> Apple-specific script out there to control fan speed.
>
> > > There is another sysfs attribute - fanX_manual. I don't find driver
> > > documentation, so I have no idea what it is doing. The name indicates
> > > that it might set manual vs. automatic fan control. What is it set to in
> > > your system ? From the code, looks like it should be 0 or 1. Try to
> > > toggle it and see what happens - after all, it can not get worse ;).
> >
> > Might be worth looking at files fanX_min, _max and _safe too. Too bad
> > there doesn't seem to be any documentation available for all these
> > non-standard attributes :(
> >
> Here is some info from the web about the problem. See
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-981280.html.

The above link points to

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacBookPro/SantaRosaFanControl

which provides a script to control fan speed on MAC systems.

Guenter

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-03 17:46             ` Henrik Rydberg
From: Henrik Rydberg @ 2011-11-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Noodén; +Cc: guenter.roeck, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 05:19:25PM +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 05:06 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:25 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
> [snip]
> >> The one machine reports one fan and the other two fans.  I haven't found
> >> a way to set the fan speed manually.  The output from sensors
> >> is
> >>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/44
> >> and here
> >>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/47
> >
> > Do the fans actually turn, or is the output bogus ?
>
> The output is bogus, the fans are not turning.  On #47 there above, I
> think the temperatures might be inaccurate, too.  Since they'll go up
> and down as much as 8 degrees in a few seconds.
>
> > You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
> > and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
> > in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
> > device).
>
> I can set the fan speed manually.  e.g.:
>
>  echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output
>
> That helps some.

I am confused.

>From what I gather, the fans work, and it should be possible to run
the macfanctld daemon (not fancontrol) to tune the fans.

If there really is a problem with the applesmc, following
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=924096 is a good idea.

However, the root problem is most likely the GPU consuming too much
power. Depending on the exact laptop model, there may or may not be a
viable workaround. If you model is very new, there is most likely and
active thread about it on the ubuntu forums.

After checking around on the forums, if you find that this is still a
fan or temperature sensor problem, and not a GPU problem, then please
restate the problem as exactly as you can.

Thanks.
Henrik

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-04 10:27               ` Lars Noodén
From: Lars Noodén @ 2011-11-04 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Rydberg; +Cc: guenter.roeck, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On 11/3/11 7:46 PM, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 05:19:25PM +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> On 11/03/2011 05:06 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:25 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Do the fans actually turn, or is the output bogus ?
>>
>> The output is bogus, the fans are not turning.  On #47 there above, I
>> think the temperatures might be inaccurate, too.  Since they'll go up
>> and down as much as 8 degrees in a few seconds.
>>
>>> You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
>>> and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
>>> in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
>>> device).
>>
>> I can set the fan speed manually.  e.g.:
>>
>>  echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output
>>
>> That helps some.
>
> I am confused.
>
> From what I gather, the fans work, and it should be possible to run
> the macfanctld daemon (not fancontrol) to tune the fans.

On the note book, one fan works with manual control only.  If there is a
second fan, it cannot be turned on manually.  On the mini, there are no
fan devices listed in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/

> If there really is a problem with the applesmc, following
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=924096 is a good idea.
>
> However, the root problem is most likely the GPU consuming too much
> power. Depending on the exact laptop model, there may or may not be a
> viable workaround. If you model is very new, there is most likely and
> active thread about it on the ubuntu forums.

Not that I've been able to find and an attempt at starting a new thread
has no response.

> After checking around on the forums, if you find that this is still a
> fan or temperature sensor problem, and not a GPU problem, then please
> restate the problem as exactly as you can.

I think there are two problems.  One is the GPU or some other part
running hot.  The other is the sensors/fans issue: the fans don't turn
on even when the system is hot.  Both problems are evident on two
different models of hardware, the notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the
desktop is a Macmini3,1.

/Lars

* Re: [lm-sensors] Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-04 10:46                   ` lars nooden
From: lars nooden @ 2011-11-04 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guenter.roeck; +Cc: Jean Delvare, Henrik Rydberg, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On 11/3/11, Guenter Roeck <guenter.roeck@ericsson.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 12:43 -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:

>> > If you can do that, you should be able to set up fancontrol to
>> > automatically control fan speed based on system temperatures.
>>
>> This won't work, as fancontrol wants pwmX attributes which the applesmc
>> driver doesn't implement.
>>
> Yes, you are right - it won't work without patching it to use
> fanX_output and to accept larger values for the limits.
>
> Wonder how this works for other Apple systems. Maybe there is an
> Apple-specific script out there to control fan speed.
>
>> > There is another sysfs attribute - fanX_manual. I don't find driver
>> > documentation, so I have no idea what it is doing. The name indicates
>> > that it might set manual vs. automatic fan control. What is it set to in
>> > your system ? From the code, looks like it should be 0 or 1. Try to
>> > toggle it and see what happens - after all, it can not get worse ;).
>>
>> Might be worth looking at files fanX_min, _max and _safe too. Too bad
>> there doesn't seem to be any documentation available for all these
>> non-standard attributes :(
>>
> Here is some info from the web about the problem. See
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-981280.html.
>
> So, for those that have reported high temperatures due to low fan
> speeds: check the value of
>
> cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual

It is zero already:
  $ cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
  0

/Lars

@ 2011-11-07 12:13               ` Lars Noodén
From: Lars Noodén @ 2011-11-07 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Rydberg; +Cc: guenter.roeck, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On 11/3/11 7:46 PM, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
[snip]
> I am confused.
>
> From what I gather, the fans work, and it should be possible to run
> the macfanctld daemon (not fancontrol) to tune the fans.
>
> If there really is a problem with the applesmc, following
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=924096 is a good idea.
>
> However, the root problem is most likely the GPU consuming too much
> power. Depending on the exact laptop model, there may or may not be a
> viable workaround. If you model is very new, there is most likely and
> active thread about it on the ubuntu forums.

Not that I could find, at least not useful ones.
Starting a new thread gained no results.

> After checking around on the forums, if you find that this is still a
> fan or temperature sensor problem, and not a GPU problem, then please
> restate the problem as exactly as you can.

Can it be both a fan / sensor / GPU problem?
To restate the symptoms:

- the hardware runs hot in Linux, the same hardware runs cool in OS X
- the fan(s) do not run automatically when the machines get hot
- the fan(s) can be controlled manually
- the temperatures from /usr/bin/sensors on the notebook seem
  suspiciously low

The kernels are

- 3.1.0-999-generic #201111070407 SMP Mon Nov 7
  09:08:05 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

- 3.1.0-2-generic #3-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 28
  20:28:07 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Output from apport can be found in Launchpad:

The notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the desktop is a Macmini3,1

How should I split the problem up and where should I pursue their
resolution?

/Lars

* Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan
@ 2011-11-07 17:18                 ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2011-11-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Noodén; +Cc: Henrik Rydberg, guenter.roeck, linux-kernel, lm-sensors

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:27:33PM +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:

> I think there are two problems.  One is the GPU or some other part
> running hot.  The other is the sensors/fans issue: the fans don't turn
> on even when the system is hot.  Both problems are evident on two
> different models of hardware, the notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the
> desktop is a Macmini3,1.

Fan control is under the control of the SMC. If fans aren't working then
either we're supposed to be feeding data into the SMC or there's a
hardware problem of some description.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org