* linux-cr ported to 3.2-rc1
@ 2011-11-14 15:13 Adrian Reber
From: Adrian Reber @ 2011-11-14 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Pavel Emelyanov, Serge E. Hallyn, Oren Laadan,
	matt.helsley, Peter Väterlein

I have ported the linux-cr patches from www.linux-cr.org/pub/git/linux-cr.git
to the latest kernel (3.2-rc1). The tests (on x86_64) I have done so far
were successful. My repository with the C/R patches on top of 3.2-rc1 is
currently at:

http://lisas.de/~adrian/linux-cr.git

The development on the linux-cr tree hast stopped sometime around 2.6.37
and although those patches have gone through many revisions I am not sure
about the latest state of those patches concerning inclusion. At what
point has the discussion stopped and why?

I have seen patches from Pavel about another approach for
checkpointing/restarting but I haven't heard anything about
that during the last months.

What are the chances to get one of the checkpointing/restarting
implementations included. What is still missing from the one I used?
What is the latest state of Pavel's patches?

		Adrian

* Re: linux-cr ported to 3.2-rc1
@ 2011-11-14 15:20 ` Pavel Emelyanov
From: Pavel Emelyanov @ 2011-11-14 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Reber
  Cc: linux-kernel, Andrew Morton, Serge E. Hallyn, Oren Laadan,

On 11/14/2011 07:13 PM, Adrian Reber wrote:
> I have ported the linux-cr patches from www.linux-cr.org/pub/git/linux-cr.git
> to the latest kernel (3.2-rc1). The tests (on x86_64) I have done so far
> were successful. My repository with the C/R patches on top of 3.2-rc1 is
> currently at:
>
> http://lisas.de/~adrian/linux-cr.git
>

> The development on the linux-cr tree hast stopped sometime around 2.6.37
> and although those patches have gone through many revisions I am not sure
> about the latest state of those patches concerning inclusion. At what
> point has the discussion stopped and why?

AFAIK very few people from the community support the idea of having the C/R
functionality implemented as the kernel subsystem.

> I have seen patches from Pavel about another approach for
> checkpointing/restarting but I haven't heard anything about
> that during the last months.
>
> What are the chances to get one of the checkpointing/restarting
> implementations included. What is still missing from the one I used?

The chances are ... quite high. We implement our C/R code in the userspace
and require very few pieces from kernel. So far 2 out of 3 proposed API
extensions were merged into -mm tree.

> What is the latest state of Pavel's patches?

The state right now is - we can dump and restore tasks with any types of
memory, open regular files and pipes with its contents. The code is currently
under internal review process. We're going to send the public RFC early next
week. Then go on with more resources to dump and restore.

> 		Adrian
> .

* Re: linux-cr ported to 3.2-rc1
@ 2011-11-15 18:29   ` Serge E. Hallyn
From: Serge E. Hallyn @ 2011-11-15 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov
  Cc: Adrian Reber, linux-kernel, Andrew Morton, Oren Laadan,
	matt.helsley, Peter Väterlein

Quoting Pavel Emelyanov (xemul@parallels.com):
> On 11/14/2011 07:13 PM, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > I have ported the linux-cr patches from www.linux-cr.org/pub/git/linux-cr.git
> > to the latest kernel (3.2-rc1). The tests (on x86_64) I have done so far
> > were successful. My repository with the C/R patches on top of 3.2-rc1 is
> > currently at:
> >
> > http://lisas.de/~adrian/linux-cr.git
> >

> > The development on the linux-cr tree hast stopped sometime around 2.6.37
> > and although those patches have gone through many revisions I am not sure
> > about the latest state of those patches concerning inclusion. At what
> > point has the discussion stopped and why?
>
> AFAIK very few people from the community support the idea of having the C/R
> functionality implemented as the kernel subsystem.
>
> > I have seen patches from Pavel about another approach for
> > checkpointing/restarting but I haven't heard anything about
> > that during the last months.
> >
> > What are the chances to get one of the checkpointing/restarting
> > implementations included. What is still missing from the one I used?
>
> The chances are ... quite high. We implement our C/R code in the userspace
> and require very few pieces from kernel. So far 2 out of 3 proposed API
> extensions were merged into -mm tree.

Hi Pavel,

does '2 out of 3 proposed' mean '2 out of 3 needed for full c/r support'?
(That was the implication, and would be great)  If not, the how many more
api extensions would you foresee needed for that?

> > What is the latest state of Pavel's patches?
>
> The state right now is - we can dump and restore tasks with any types of
> memory, open regular files and pipes with its contents. The code is currently
> under internal review process. We're going to send the public RFC early next
> week. Then go on with more resources to dump and restore.
>
> > 		Adrian
> > .

* Re: linux-cr ported to 3.2-rc1
@ 2011-11-16  8:19     ` Pavel Emelyanov
From: Pavel Emelyanov @ 2011-11-16  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge E. Hallyn
  Cc: Adrian Reber, linux-kernel, Andrew Morton, Oren Laadan,
	matt.helsley, Peter Väterlein

>> The chances are ... quite high. We implement our C/R code in the userspace
>> and require very few pieces from kernel. So far 2 out of 3 proposed API
>> extensions were merged into -mm tree.
>
> Hi Pavel,
>
> does '2 out of 3 proposed' mean '2 out of 3 needed for full c/r support'?

No, for the c/r of process tree with any types of memory, open files and pipes.

* Re: linux-cr ported to 3.2-rc1
@ 2012-01-05 21:07   ` Adrian Reber
From: Adrian Reber @ 2012-01-05 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov
  Cc: linux-kernel, Andrew Morton, Serge E. Hallyn, Oren Laadan,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 07:20:03PM +0400, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 07:13 PM, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > I have ported the linux-cr patches from www.linux-cr.org/pub/git/linux-cr.git
> > to the latest kernel (3.2-rc1). The tests (on x86_64) I have done so far
> > were successful. My repository with the C/R patches on top of 3.2-rc1 is
> > currently at:
> >
> > http://lisas.de/~adrian/linux-cr.git
> >

> > The development on the linux-cr tree hast stopped sometime around 2.6.37
> > and although those patches have gone through many revisions I am not sure
> > about the latest state of those patches concerning inclusion. At what
> > point has the discussion stopped and why?
>
> AFAIK very few people from the community support the idea of having the C/R
> functionality implemented as the kernel subsystem.

Ah. Okay. I still ported those patches to 3.2 so that there exists a
working C/R until you have released your code.

http://lisas.de/~adrian/cr/3.2/linux-cr.git

> > I have seen patches from Pavel about another approach for
> > checkpointing/restarting but I haven't heard anything about
> > that during the last months.
> >
> > What are the chances to get one of the checkpointing/restarting
> > implementations included. What is still missing from the one I used?
>
> The chances are ... quite high. We implement our C/R code in the userspace
> and require very few pieces from kernel. So far 2 out of 3 proposed API
> extensions were merged into -mm tree.
>
> > What is the latest state of Pavel's patches?
>
> The state right now is - we can dump and restore tasks with any types of
> memory, open regular files and pipes with its contents. The code is currently
> under internal review process. We're going to send the public RFC early next
> week. Then go on with more resources to dump and restore.

I am interested in C/R and if your code has better chances going
upstream then I would be interested seeing those patches and working
with you. As long as I do not have your code I will keep on working with
the patches I currently have and which seem to be running pretty good on
3.2 so far.

The first set of patches in my current patchset tries to implement
eclone() which provides the clone() functionality but with the
possibility to request a certain PID so that child processes can be
restarted with the same PID. How are you planning to restart child
processes? Are those patches maybe something which makes also sense for
your C/R implementation?

		Adrian

* Re: linux-cr ported to 3.2-rc1
@ 2012-01-10  9:41     ` Pavel Emelyanov
From: Pavel Emelyanov @ 2012-01-10  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Reber
  Cc: linux-kernel, Andrew Morton, Serge E. Hallyn, Oren Laadan,
	matt.helsley, Peter Väterlein

> The first set of patches in my current patchset tries to implement
> eclone() which provides the clone() functionality but with the
> possibility to request a certain PID so that child processes can be
> restarted with the same PID. How are you planning to restart child
> processes?

With the /proc/sys/kernel/ns_last_pid helper.

> Are those patches maybe something which makes also sense for your C/R implementation?

The sources are here:
Kernel with all the patches we want:
  https://github.com/cyrillos/linux-2.6/tree/crtools
User-space part: