* ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-25 23:49 Anton Altaparmakov
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-05-25 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev, linux-ntfs-announce

Announcing a new NTFS patch (1.1.15). It is generated against kernel
2.4.4-ac16 but also applies cleanly to -ac17. Quite probably it will apply
fine to any 2.4.4 kernel (at least 2.4.4-pre5 I think).

How to get the patch
====================

- Wait for one of the next -ac series kernel patches (patch is submitted to
Alan Cox).
- For the impatient: patch is available (for a while only, for some value
of while) for download as bzip2 or gzip compressed file from:
         http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/ntfs/
(To apply patch, uncompress it, cd into your kernel directory and type:
         patch -p1 <
/path/to/patch/ntfs-kernel-2.4.4-ac16-to-ntfs-1.1.15.diff.gz
Then you will need to recompile your kernel and reboot into it.)

NTFS 1.1.15 - ChangeLog
=======================

- New mount option show_sys_files=<bool> to show all system files as normal
files.
- Support for files and in general any attributes up to the full 2TiB size
supported by the NTFS filesystem. Note we only support up to 32-bits worth
of inodes/clusters at this point.
- Support for more than 128kiB sized runlists (using vmalloc_32() instead
of kmalloc()).
- Fixed races in allocation of clusters and mft records.
- Fixed major bugs in attribute handling / searching / collation.
- Fixed major bugs in compressing a run list into a mapping pairs array.
- Fixed major bugs in inode allocation. Especially file create and mkdir.
- Fixed memory leaks.
- Fixed major bug in inode layout assignment of sequence numbers.
- Lots of other bug fixes I can't think of right now...
- Fixed NULL bug found by the Stanford checker in ntfs_dupuni2map().
- Convert large stack variable to dynamically allocated one in
ntfs_get_free_cluster_count() (found by Stanford checker).
- New versioning scheme as I was too confused by the date based one...
(versions prior to this are internal only, never been released to public,
so you haven't missed the numbers before 1.1.15).

Known bugs and (mis-)features
=============================

- Do not use the driver for writing as it corrupts the file system. If you
do use it, get the Linux-NTFS tools and use the ntfsfix utility after
dismounting a partition you wrote to.

- Use "ls -l" instead of just "ls", otherwise the last entry in the
directory is not displayed for some directories. (?!?)

- Use the show_sys_files mount option which should make things work
generally better. (It results in both the short and long file names being
shown as well as the sytem files.)

- Special characters are not treated correctly. For example if the file
name contains an apostrophe you will not be able to open it.

- Writing of extension records is not supported properly.

Please send bug reports/comments/feed back/abuse to the Linux-NTFS
development list at sourceforge: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.sourceforge.net

For daring people, write support now works ok for simple files and
directories. For example it is relatively safe to create a directory inside
a not too big directory, and create a few relatively small files in it.
umount, run ntfsfix, reboot in Windows, chkdsk will run and (hopefully) not
detect any problems at all!

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

         Anton

--
   "Nothing succeeds like success." - Alexandre Dumas
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://sf.net/projects/linux-ntfs/

* Re: ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-25 23:59 ` Jeff Garzik
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-05-25 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov
  Cc: linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev, linux-ntfs-announce

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> NTFS 1.1.15 - ChangeLog
> =======================
> - Support for more than 128kiB sized runlists (using vmalloc_32() instead
> of kmalloc()).

If you are running into kmalloc size limit, please consider some
alternative method of allocation.
Can you map it into the page cache, as Al Viro has done in recent
patches?
Can you break your allocation into an array of pages, obtained via
get_free_page?
If runlists are on-disk structures, can you look at bh->b_data instead
of keeping them in memory?

--
Jeff Garzik      | Disbelief, that's why you fail.
Building 1024    |

* Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-26  0:42 ` Anton Altaparmakov
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-05-26  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

At 00:59 26/05/2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > NTFS 1.1.15 - ChangeLog
> > =======================
> > - Support for more than 128kiB sized runlists (using vmalloc_32() instead
> > of kmalloc()).
>
>If you are running into kmalloc size limit, please consider some
>alternative method of allocation.

Why? I was told that's what vmalloc is for. And anyway, Windows NT/2k
operate on a 256kB sized memory allocation basis and NTFS has been designed
with this in mind. Breaking away from that is a PITA. I was very happy to
learn about vmalloc as it solved a lot of my headaches with regards to
structures being >128kb.

btw. Maybe you, or someone else, can explain me whether vmalloc() will
always work or whether vmalloc_32() is required? I am thinking of highmem
pages which vmalloc could return. Would I have to make sure the pages were
accessible by calling some function or is this done transparently?

>Can you map it into the page cache, as Al Viro has done in recent patches?

If someone would document how the page cache actually works from a kernel
point of view, perhaps...<hint, hint> Sorry, but I haven't had the time to
go through all the related source to understand it properly. I have an idea
of how it works conceptually (well, kind of...) but not a deep enough
understanding to start implementing anything that goes anywhere near the
page cache.

I would love to move inode metadata to the page cache. That would simplify
so much in the NTFS driver and would result in an incredible speed boost
due to getting rid of all the silly copying of data back and forth inside
the driver as we could just pass pointers around instead (to locked pages
or other form of internal locking).

>Can you break your allocation into an array of pages, obtained via
>get_free_page?

No thank you. I would rather have it contiguous or at least logically
contiguous. I don't care if the pages are physically contiguous as long as
I can see them as one piece... I mean, ok, I could break up run lists, as
they are arrays of fixed size structs and the boundary cases would be
predictable (but still would slow down the code with boundary checks) but
this doesn't solve the generic problem later on as more things get
implemented where we encounter variable width structures. It is much
cleaner and easier to implement using a logically contiguous memory
allocation IMHO. It's a shame Linux kernel doesn't support this kind of
stuff (last time I read somewhere about this it said it doesn't anyway. I
would be happy to be told wrong here).

>If runlists are on-disk structures, can you look at bh->b_data instead of
>keeping them in memory?

They are not. They are derived from compressed on-disk structures (which
are re-compressed when updating the inode). Runlists of such large size are
only needed for A) huge files/directories, B) extremely fragmented
files/directories, or C) a combination of A and B. (Remembering that
metadata is stored as files, so the same applies for the metadata itself.)

Best regards,

Anton

--
   "Nothing succeeds like success." - Alexandre Dumas
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://sf.net/projects/linux-ntfs/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-27 11:23 ` Martin von Loewis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin von Loewis @ 2001-05-27 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aia21; +Cc: jgarzik, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

> I would love to move inode metadata to the page cache. That would simplify
> so much in the NTFS driver and would result in an incredible speed boost
> due to getting rid of all the silly copying of data back and forth inside
> the driver as we could just pass pointers around instead (to locked pages
> or other form of internal locking).
[...]
> No thank you. I would rather have it contiguous or at least logically
> contiguous. I don't care if the pages are physically contiguous as long as
> I can see them as one piece... I mean, ok, I could break up run lists, as
> they are arrays of fixed size structs and the boundary cases would be
> predictable

When you talk about avoiding copying, are you thinking of not copying
the runlists, as well? If so, how can you avoid uncompressing them?
That seems very complicated, plus you have to concatenate the pieces
of the runlist if they span multiple MFT records, anyway.

> They are not. They are derived from compressed on-disk structures (which
> are re-compressed when updating the inode). Runlists of such large size are
> only needed for A) huge files/directories, B) extremely fragmented
> files/directories, or C) a combination of A and B. (Remembering that
> metadata is stored as files, so the same applies for the metadata itself.)

I guess this answers my question - you will continue to uncompress the
runlist when opening the inode, right?

Regards,
Martin

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-05-27 11:45 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-05-27 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin von Loewis; +Cc: jgarzik, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

At 12:23 27/05/2001, Martin von Loewis wrote:
> > I would love to move inode metadata to the page cache. That would simplify
> > so much in the NTFS driver and would result in an incredible speed boost
> > due to getting rid of all the silly copying of data back and forth inside
> > the driver as we could just pass pointers around instead (to locked pages
> > or other form of internal locking).
>[...]
> > No thank you. I would rather have it contiguous or at least logically
> > contiguous. I don't care if the pages are physically contiguous as long as
> > I can see them as one piece... I mean, ok, I could break up run lists, as
> > they are arrays of fixed size structs and the boundary cases would be
> > predictable
>
>When you talk about avoiding copying, are you thinking of not copying
>the runlists, as well? If so, how can you avoid uncompressing them?
>That seems very complicated, plus you have to concatenate the pieces
>of the runlist if they span multiple MFT records, anyway.

No, you can't avoid uncompressing them. But you can avoid copying all
attributes out of the record into separate memory locations and then back.
The run list is not part of the attribute so obviously has to be kept
separate. Also, it is pointless to parse all attributes and their run lists
on opening an inode, chaces are some of the attributes will never be
touched at all and maybe we are just running stat on the file but don't
want to start reading/writing the data. My idea involves a different run
list format (as I already use in the linux-ntfs project on SF) which keeps
[VCN, LCN, Length] records thus allowing you to not have the whole run
list, i.e. if user accesses only beginning of the file, we only need to
decompress the run list for the first extent. Also, this format allows out
of line attribute extent handling, so if we access data at a certain offset
we only get that extent and later as required we get the others and insert
them into the run list. (This is not implemented yet, but I have been
thinking about it.) Although I have to say I am not sure I want to have the
run list extents fused into one. That only causes headaches when writing
back the inode. But perhaps we can fuse them and then discard them without
write back. Only if the attribute size changes do we need to deal with the
problem but still it remains a problem.

> > They are not. They are derived from compressed on-disk structures (which
> > are re-compressed when updating the inode). Runlists of such large size
> are
> > only needed for A) huge files/directories, B) extremely fragmented
> > files/directories, or C) a combination of A and B. (Remembering that
> > metadata is stored as files, so the same applies for the metadata itself.)
>
>I guess this answers my question - you will continue to uncompress the
>runlist when opening the inode, right?

Yes and no. They will be uncompressed but not when opening the inode. It
will be "uncompress required extent's run list on demand". The current
driver with uncompressing everything and keeping copies of all attributes
is A) very slow and B) eats incredible amounts of memory when you are
operating on large partitions (talking tens of Gb partitions).

Best regards,

Anton

--
   "Nothing succeeds like success." - Alexandre Dumas
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://sf.net/projects/linux-ntfs/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-05-27 12:53 ` Martin von Loewis
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin von Loewis @ 2001-05-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aia21; +Cc: jgarzik, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

> Yes and no. They will be uncompressed but not when opening the inode. It
> will be "uncompress required extent's run list on demand".

Are you sure this can work? Initially, I thought I could use the
attribute list to only uncompress the extend that has the VCN I'm
interested in.

That would not work: NT would split individual runs across extends
(i.e. split them in the middle). Did I misunderstand, or do you have a
solution for that as well.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-05-27 22:37 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-05-27 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin von Loewis; +Cc: jgarzik, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

At 13:53 27/05/2001, Martin von Loewis wrote:
> > Yes and no. They will be uncompressed but not when opening the inode. It
> > will be "uncompress required extent's run list on demand".
>
>Are you sure this can work?

No.

>Initially, I thought I could use the attribute list to only uncompress the
>extend that has the VCN I'm interested in.

Same idea here.

>That would not work: NT would split individual runs across extends
>(i.e. split them in the middle).

Argh! That seems really stupid thing to do, as it makes it difficult to
interpret what the highest_vcn/lowest_vcn field of attribute extents is
supposed to mean!?!

This does however explain some of the code uglyness I have seen (and chosen
to ignore) in the ntfs.sys disassembly run list handling...

>Did I misunderstand, or do you have a solution for that as well.

No solution. I wasn't aware this could happen. I knew a compression block
could be split in it halves but I didn't realize this braindamaged
complication.

I guess we will have to decode the whole run list in one go then. Anything
else would be slower over all. - What we could do of course is to walk the
mapping pairs array real quick not reading the numbers only to get the
correct starting offset into the next extent and then only decode that one
but that would mean walking the mapping pairs array repeatedly (once to get
each extent) which would be overall slower than just getting the lot at
once. - I maintain that we should do this on demand and not on inode open,
though. - I will have another think about this, but if it is true that NT
splits the records anywhere, then it would be impossible to start at any
extent other than the first one.

Anton

--

@ 2001-05-28  5:36   ` Yuri Per
From: Yuri Per @ 2001-05-28  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin von Loewis, Anton Altaparmakov
  Cc: linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

Martin von Loewis wrote:

>That would not work: NT would split individual runs across extends
>(i.e. split them in the middle). Did I misunderstand, or do you have a
>solution for that as well.

Are you sure that it's true? My NTFS resizer interprets parts of runlist
stored in different FILE records independently and I never experienced
any problems with that.

Yuri

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new  release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-28 11:10   ` Martin von Loewis
From: Martin von Loewis @ 2001-05-28 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yuri; +Cc: aia21, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

> >That would not work: NT would split individual runs across extends
> >(i.e. split them in the middle). Did I misunderstand, or do you have a
> >solution for that as well.
> >
> Are you sure that it's true? My NTFS resizer interprets parts of runlist
> stored in different FILE records independently and I never experienced
> any problems with that.

I'm sure it could happen on NT 3.1. Maybe MS has fixed it since.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new  release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-28 12:01   ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-05-28 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin von Loewis; +Cc: yuri, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

At 12:10 28/05/2001, Martin von Loewis wrote:
> > >That would not work: NT would split individual runs across extends
> > >(i.e. split them in the middle). Did I misunderstand, or do you have a
> > >solution for that as well.
> > >
> > Are you sure that it's true? My NTFS resizer interprets parts of runlist
> > stored in different FILE records independently and I never experienced
> > any problems with that.
>
>I'm sure it could happen on NT 3.1. Maybe MS has fixed it since.

Hm, in that case I think I will implement it the way I was thinking and I
will assume that it can't happen any more. - I will add some kind of sanity
check at the beginning to catch problems and scream to the syslog which we
can remove later.

Does anyone know what NTFS version the NT 3.1 / 3.51 volumes had? If I know
I can make sure we don't mount such beasts considering we know the driver
would fail on them... - I am aware of only one person stil using NT 3.51
and he doesn't believe in the NTFS Linux driver any more, so I guess we can
just say we support NT 4.0 and above only.

Anton

--

@ 2001-05-28 13:08     ` Yuri Per
From: Yuri Per @ 2001-05-28 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov, Martin von Loewis
  Cc: linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> Does anyone know what NTFS version the NT 3.1 / 3.51 volumes had? If I
> know  I can make sure we don't mount such beasts considering we know
> the driver  would fail on them... - I am aware of only one person stil
> using NT 3.51  and he doesn't believe in the NTFS Linux driver any
> more, so I guess we can  just say we support NT 4.0 and above only.

NT 3.51 uses exactly the same version of NTFS as NT 4.0 does.

Yuri

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new   release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-28 14:49     ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-05-28 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Per; +Cc: Martin von Loewis, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

At 14:08 28/05/2001, Yuri Per wrote:
>Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know what NTFS version the NT 3.1 / 3.51 volumes had? If I
>>know  I can make sure we don't mount such beasts considering we know the
>>driver  would fail on them... - I am aware of only one person stil using
>>NT 3.51  and he doesn't believe in the NTFS Linux driver any more, so I
>>guess we can  just say we support NT 4.0 and above only.
>
>NT 3.51 uses exactly the same version of NTFS as NT 4.0 does.

Ok. Thanks.

Anyone know about 3.1?

Anton

--

@ 2001-05-29  0:50       ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-05-29  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov
  Cc: Yuri Per, Martin von Loewis, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 03:49:28PM +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> At 14:08 28/05/2001, Yuri Per wrote:
> >Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> >
> >>Does anyone know what NTFS version the NT 3.1 / 3.51 volumes had? If I
> >>know  I can make sure we don't mount such beasts considering we know the
> >>driver  would fail on them... - I am aware of only one person stil using
> >>NT 3.51  and he doesn't believe in the NTFS Linux driver any more, so I
> >>guess we can  just say we support NT 4.0 and above only.
> >
> >NT 3.51 uses exactly the same version of NTFS as NT 4.0 does.
>
> Ok. Thanks.
>
> Anyone know about 3.1?
>
> Anton

It's an HPFS variant.  Try the HPFS driver, and it may work.  The first cut
of NT was with a hacked up HPFS driver from Microsoft OS/2.  NTFS was
designed internally by David G. and friends.

Jeff

@ 2001-05-29  8:18       ` Martin von Loewis
From: Martin von Loewis @ 2001-05-29  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jmerkey; +Cc: aia21, yuri, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

> > Anyone know about 3.1?
> >

> It's an HPFS variant.

No. NT was using NTFS right from the start.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: [Linux-ntfs] Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ANN: NTFS new release available (1.1.15)
@ 2001-05-29 16:42         ` Jeff V. Merkey
From: Jeff V. Merkey @ 2001-05-29 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin von Loewis; +Cc: aia21, yuri, linux-kernel, Linux-ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 10:18:41AM +0200, Martin von Loewis wrote:
> > > Anyone know about 3.1?
> > >

> > It's an HPFS variant.
>
> No. NT was using NTFS right from the start.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

No.  They were not.  Their first cuts of NT used an HPFS variant until
NTFS could be completed.  The guy who wrote NTFS for MS was a consultant
for us for several years, and I got a very long briefing on the history
of NT file systems over the years.

I do not know which version was the cutover, but I do believe it was
pre 3.X NT versions.

Jeff