* Error on fs unmount
@ 2001-08-17 16:39 Peter Klotz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Klotz @ 2001-08-17 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi developers

Kernel 2.4.8 produces the following message on almost every shutdown:

Unmounting filesystems: Trying to _clear_inode of system file 9! Shouldn't
happen.

This did not occur in 2.4.6 and prior.

Is this an issue?

Please CC to me since I am not on the list.

Bye, Peter.

* Re: Error on fs unmount
@ 2001-08-17 17:48 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-08-17 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Klotz; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Aug 17, 2001  18:39 +0200, Peter Klotz wrote:
> Kernel 2.4.8 produces the following message on almost every shutdown:
>
> Unmounting filesystems: Trying to _clear_inode of system file 9! Shouldn't
> happen.

Please tell us what filesystem you are using?

Assuming ext2, please run "e2fsck -f <device>" on the unmounted filesystem.
However, since I've never seen this message before, and e2fsck would run
automatically after such an error I doubt it is ext2 unless there were
recent changes.

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: Error on fs unmount
@ 2001-08-17 18:21 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-08-17 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Dilger; +Cc: Peter Klotz, linux-kernel

At 18:48 17/08/2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>On Aug 17, 2001  18:39 +0200, Peter Klotz wrote:
> > Kernel 2.4.8 produces the following message on almost every shutdown:
> >
> > Unmounting filesystems: Trying to _clear_inode of system file 9! Shouldn't
> > happen.
>
>Please tell us what filesystem you are using?

He is using NTFS. I recognize my error message. (-; [A little omission of
mine results in not getting the string "NTFS: " printed at the beginning of
the error message. )-: Fixed in my tree and will be in next patch release.]

Peter,

Could you tell me whether on startup (or whenever you mount the NTFS
volume) it doesn't give a message but saying: "Trying to open system file
9!" or "Opening system file 9!".

If you only get the _clear_inode message that would be bad, but if you get
a corresponding "Trying to open..." message, then just ignore them for the
moment. - This is part of stage one of a cleanup in ntfs system file
handling and this is just a message telling you someone is trying to close
a system file which hasn't been opened yet, which should indeed never
happen. - This will disappear with my next update to ntfs which completes
the system file cleanup stuff.

If you only get the _clear_inode message this is very bad and I would like
to know more... but I suspect you will find the matching message.

Best regards,

Anton

--
   "Nothing succeeds like success." - Alexandre Dumas
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/

* Re: Error on fs unmount
@ 2001-08-17 20:42   ` Peter Klotz
From: Peter Klotz @ 2001-08-17 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov; +Cc: linux-kernel

>Peter,
>
>Could you tell me whether on startup (or whenever you mount the NTFS
>volume) it doesn't give a message but saying: "Trying to open system file
>9!" or "Opening system file 9!".

You were right. I found the message you mentioned several times in
/var/log/messages:
Aug 17 08:16:50 localhost kernel: Trying to open system file 9!

Thanks a lot for your quick and helpful response.

Bye, Peter.

* Re: Error on fs unmount
@ 2001-08-17 20:52 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-08-17 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Klotz; +Cc: linux-kernel

At 21:42 17/08/2001, Peter Klotz wrote:
> >Could you tell me whether on startup (or whenever you mount the NTFS
> >volume) it doesn't give a message but saying: "Trying to open system file
> >9!" or "Opening system file 9!".
>
>You were right. I found the message you mentioned several times in
>/var/log/messages:
>Aug 17 08:16:50 localhost kernel: Trying to open system file 9!

Excellent. That is exactly what I expected to see, so all is fine. Just
ignore for now.

>Thanks a lot for your quick and helpful response.

You are welcome.

Cheers,

         Anton