* Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
@ 2002-01-14  1:07 Anton Altaparmakov
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2002-01-14  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alan's -ac series is back! To celebrate this I added in the IDE patches and
an NTFS update which dramatically reduces the number of vmalloc()s and have
posted the resulting (tested) patch (to be applied on top of
2.4.18pre3-ac1) at below URL.

http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/linux/patch-2.4.18-pre3-ac1-aia1.bz2
http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/linux/patch-2.4.18-pre3-ac1-aia1.gz

Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia1

o       IDE patch (taskfile, lba-48, ata133, etc)       Andre Hendrick
o       Configure help entries for above                Andre Hendrick, Rob
Radez
o       Small IDE cleanups (code beauty only)           Pavel Machek, me
o       Reduce NTFS vmalloc() use (NTFS 1.1.22)         me

Enjoy,

Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/

* IDE Patches bring amazing performance gain!!!
@ 2002-01-14  1:44 ` Anton Altaparmakov
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2002-01-14  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

As a heads up, Andre Hedrick's (Andre sorry for the misspelling
previously!) IDE patch improved the performance of my 7200rpm ATA100 IBM
IDE hd from 28Mb/s to 38Mb/s as measured by hdparm -t /dev/hda, which is
quite an improvement by anyones standards! Also hitting the disk with a lot
of io maintains low latency and my mp3s aren't dropping out and my X
session maintains interactivity. (-:

Considering I have seen many good reports and ZERO bad reports about the
IDE patches it is really astonishing that the patches are not being applied
to the 2.4.x kernel series... (especially as they were in the -ac series
previously already)

Best regards,

Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

* Re: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
@ 2002-01-14  1:50   ` Erik Andersen
From: Erik Andersen @ 2002-01-14  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon Jan 14, 2002 at 01:53:22AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Alan's -ac series is back! To celebrate this I added in the IDE patches and
> > an NTFS update which dramatically reduces the number of vmalloc()s and have
> > posted the resulting (tested) patch (to be applied on top of
> > 2.4.18pre3-ac1) at below URL.
>
> Andre's IDE patch is in the ac2 cut. I took it out just to make testing easier
> in case other people found -ac1 wasnt as reliable as I did 8)

Will -ac2 be hitting the mirrors shortly then?  BTW, you
mentioned in your earlier email you excluded the low-latency
patches.   Mind if I ask which of the many you are using?
mini-ll?  full-ll?  The sched-O1-H6 patch?

 -Erik

* Re: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
@ 2002-01-14  1:53 ` Anton Altaparmakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2002-01-14  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

At 01:53 14/01/02, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Alan's -ac series is back! To celebrate this I added in the IDE patches
> and
> > an NTFS update which dramatically reduces the number of vmalloc()s and
> have
> > posted the resulting (tested) patch (to be applied on top of
> > 2.4.18pre3-ac1) at below URL.
>
>Andre's IDE patch is in the ac2 cut. I took it out just to make testing easier
>in case other people found -ac1 wasnt as reliable as I did 8)

That's ok. -ac2 isn't out yet AFAICS... (-;

Do you have the configure help entries in there, too?

btw. -ac1-aia1 is working very well on my desktop here. At least I wasn't
able to break it with anything I threw at it. In fact it is working much
better than before both interactivity wise and io wise. (-8

Anton

--

@ 2002-01-14  1:53 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-01-14  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Alan's -ac series is back! To celebrate this I added in the IDE patches and
> an NTFS update which dramatically reduces the number of vmalloc()s and have
> posted the resulting (tested) patch (to be applied on top of
> 2.4.18pre3-ac1) at below URL.

Andre's IDE patch is in the ac2 cut. I took it out just to make testing easier
in case other people found -ac1 wasnt as reliable as I did 8)

Alan

* Re: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-14  2:10 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2002-01-14  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov; +Cc: linux-kernel

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> Alan's -ac series is back! To celebrate this I added in the IDE patches and
> an NTFS update which dramatically reduces the number of vmalloc()s and have
> posted the resulting (tested) patch (to be applied on top of
> 2.4.18pre3-ac1) at below URL.

Is that the NTFS code which produces eighty five quintillion warnings
with the recommended gcc versions? :-)

-

* Re: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-01-14  2:27 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2002-01-14  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel

At 02:10 14/01/02, Andrew Morton wrote:
>Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> >
> > Alan's -ac series is back! To celebrate this I added in the IDE patches and
> > an NTFS update which dramatically reduces the number of vmalloc()s and have
> > posted the resulting (tested) patch (to be applied on top of
> > 2.4.18pre3-ac1) at below URL.
> >

>Is that the NTFS code which produces eighty five quintillion warnings
>with the recommended gcc versions? :-)

Huh? You are referring to ntfs tng perhaps? No, this is just a small update
to the existing ntfs driver (admittedly taken from ntfs tng but this little
part shouldn't produce any compiler problems AFAIK).

This update makes ntfs use kmalloc instead of vmalloc for <= PAGE_SIZE
allocations and since the majority of the allocations are <= PAGE_SIZE this
is both a performance improvement and a decrease of load on the 128MiB
vmalloc vm area.

There were people who reported problems under load due to failing vmallocs
and concurrent ldt allocation problems. This patch should address those
problems.

Best regards,

Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

* Re: IDE Patches bring amazing performance gain!!!
@ 2002-01-14  4:40   ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2002-01-14  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov; +Cc: linux-kernel

There is one outstanding bad report in private.  This report effects the
Promise PDC20262 Ultra66 host only.  I tested it w/ a 1.13 BIOS and it
worked.  I suggested the individual upgrade to the lastest version from
Promise.  One should note this is a 48-bit addressing exception, for old
hardware.

Andre Hedrick
Linux Disk Certification Project                Linux ATA Development

@ 2002-01-14  9:35   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-01-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Altaparmakov; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> >Andre's IDE patch is in the ac2 cut. I took it out just to make testing easier
> >in case other people found -ac1 wasnt as reliable as I did 8)
>
> That's ok. -ac2 isn't out yet AFAICS... (-;
>
> Do you have the configure help entries in there, too?

I don't - care to send me that patch ?

Alan

* Re: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
@ 2002-01-14  9:35     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-01-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andersen; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> Will -ac2 be hitting the mirrors shortly then?  BTW, you
> mentioned in your earlier email you excluded the low-latency
> patches.   Mind if I ask which of the many you are using?
> mini-ll?  full-ll?  The sched-O1-H6 patch?

I've tried all sorts of variants, including mini-ll, ll and pre-empt

* Re: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
@ 2002-01-14  9:46   ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2002-01-14  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

At 09:35 14/01/02, Alan Cox wrote:
> > >Andre's IDE patch is in the ac2 cut. I took it out just to make
> testing easier
> > >in case other people found -ac1 wasnt as reliable as I did 8)
> >
> > That's ok. -ac2 isn't out yet AFAICS... (-;
> >
> > Do you have the configure help entries in there, too?
>
>I don't - care to send me that patch ?

Sure. Will separate out and email you tonight.

Anton

--

@ 2002-01-14 14:24   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2002-01-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> As a heads up, Andre Hedrick's (Andre sorry for the misspelling
> previously!) IDE patch improved the performance of my 7200rpm ATA100 IBM
> IDE hd from 28Mb/s to 38Mb/s as measured by hdparm -t /dev/hda, which is
> quite an improvement by anyones standards! Also hitting the disk with a lot
> of io maintains low latency and my mp3s aren't dropping out and my X
> session maintains interactivity. (-:

Which, BTW, is the margin that the German c't computer magazine also
figured against those DTLA3070xx drives.

Let's take Andre's patch for 2.4.18-pre4 already, it's been solid here.
No reason do delay it.

Also, it's high time Linux gets tagged queueing for ATA, FreeBSD has
been there for ages, just installed 4.4-RELEASE on a current box and
whoooooo hw.ata.tags=1 in /boot/loader.conf.local rocks with hw.ata.wc=0
(write cache off). I'll see if I find the time to do bonnie benchmarks
soon.

* Re: IDE Patches bring amazing performance gain!!!
@ 2002-01-14 15:10     ` J.A. Magallon
From: J.A. Magallon @ 2002-01-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Hedrick; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 20020114 Andre Hedrick wrote:

>There is one outstanding bad report in private.  This report effects the
>Promise PDC20262 Ultra66 host only.  I tested it w/ a 1.13 BIOS and it
>worked.  I suggested the individual upgrade to the lastest version from
>Promise.  One should note this is a 48-bit addressing exception, for old
>hardware.

Are you planning any update soon ?
If not, could you post a new revision with Config.help parts in linuxcert ?
If not, I will just take from aia1...

--
J.A. Magallon                           #  Let the source be with you...
mailto:jamagallon@able.es