* Inconsistency in /proc/cpuinfo about topology ?
@ 2012-09-14 13:37 JA Magallón
From: JA Magallón @ 2012-09-14 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

Hi...

Probably there is something I don't understand, but it looks to me like an
inconsistency in the info given by /proc/cpuinfo about processor/core/thread
topology.

For new processors, data seems to account for each 'physycal id', all virtual
processors in the same package repeat the same info:
- Core i5:
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 4
    cpu cores	: 4
- Core i3:
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 4
    cpu cores	: 2
- Dual Xeon X5365
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 4
    cpu cores	: 4
    physical id	: 1
    siblings	: 4
    cpu cores	: 4
- Core Q9450
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 4
    cpu cores	: 4

but for older CPUs or lower end it is not the same:
- Dual P4-Xeon:
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 1
    cpu cores	: 1
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 1
    cpu cores	: 0
    physical id	: 3
    siblings	: 1
    cpu cores	: 1
    physical id	: 3
    siblings	: 1
    cpu cores	: 0

- Single P4 HT:
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 1
    cpu cores	: 1
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 1
    cpu cores	: 0

What am I missing ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>        \               Winter is coming...

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-09-14 14:10 UTC | newest]