* staging: Line6 - Steps needed to get driver out of staging area
@ 2012-09-16 17:29 Johannes Thumshirn
From: Johannes Thumshirn @ 2012-09-16 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi LKML,

I wanted to ask for the steps that are needed to get the line6 driver
out of the staging area (apart from minor getpatch.pl fixes).

Regards,
Johannes Thumshirn

* Re: staging: Line6 - Steps needed to get driver out of staging area
@ 2012-09-17 20:22 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-09-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Thumshirn; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 07:29:03PM +0200, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
> Hi LKML,
>
> I wanted to ask for the steps that are needed to get the line6
> driver out of the staging area (apart from minor getpatch.pl fixes).

First try asking on the proper mailing list :)

Second, it needs to be submitted to the subsystem that it should be in
(i.e. sound, right?)  It's up to those maintainers to say what's left to
do.

Are you willing to help out with this?  Right now it doesn't seem like
anyone is using the driver, or helping to clean it up.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: staging: Line6 - Steps needed to get driver out of staging area
@ 2012-09-18  8:06   ` Johannes Thumshirn
From: Johannes Thumshirn @ 2012-09-18  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel, grabner

On 09/17/2012 10:22 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 07:29:03PM +0200, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
>> Hi LKML,
>>
>> I wanted to ask for the steps that are needed to get the line6
>> driver out of the staging area (apart from minor getpatch.pl fixes).
> First try asking on the proper mailing list :)
>
> Second, it needs to be submitted to the subsystem that it should be in
> (i.e. sound, right?)  It's up to those maintainers to say what's left to
> do.
>
> Are you willing to help out with this?  Right now it doesn't seem like
> anyone is using the driver, or helping to clean it up.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h
Ok, then I'll ask on the sound mailing list for a todo-list.

Yes I'm willing to do the maintenance of this driver if the original
author doesn't want to take it up again.

Thanks for your answer.

Johannes

* Re: staging: Line6 - Steps needed to get driver out of staging area
@ 2012-09-18 21:48     ` Markus Grabner
From: Markus Grabner @ 2012-09-18 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Thumshirn; +Cc: Greg KH, linux-kernel

Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 10:06:13 schrieb Johannes Thumshirn:
> On 09/17/2012 10:22 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 07:29:03PM +0200, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
> >> Hi LKML,
> >>
> >> I wanted to ask for the steps that are needed to get the line6
> >> driver out of the staging area (apart from minor getpatch.pl fixes).
> >
> > First try asking on the proper mailing list :)
> >
> > Second, it needs to be submitted to the subsystem that it should be in
> > (i.e. sound, right?)  It's up to those maintainers to say what's left to
> > do.
> >
> > Are you willing to help out with this?  Right now it doesn't seem like
> > anyone is using the driver, or helping to clean it up.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> Ok, then I'll ask on the sound mailing list for a todo-list.
>
> Yes I'm willing to do the maintenance of this driver if the original
> author doesn't want to take it up again.
It's absolutely ok for me if you do the maintainance of the driver within the
Linux kernel tree, including the steps needed to get it out of staging. There
are actually people using it, occasionally I get requests regarding the
driver. However, since the Line6 devices available to me for development and
testing are rather old now, I can't contribute too much to adding support for
newer devices. Other users provided code which, according to the feedback I
received, works well for more recent devices. Nevertheless, I have some ideas
to improve the driver in areas I can test myself, so I won't completely
withdraw from development.

	Kind regards,
		Markus