* scanning for LUNs
@ 2013-04-04 15:12 K. Y. Srinivasan
From: K. Y. Srinivasan @ 2013-04-04 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh, linux-kernel, devel, ohering, jbottomley, hch, linux-scsi, kys

Here is the code snippet for scanning LUNS (drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c in function
__scsi_scan_target()):

        /*
         * Scan LUN 0, if there is some response, scan further. Ideally, we
         * would not configure LUN 0 until all LUNs are scanned.
         */
        res = scsi_probe_and_add_lun(starget, 0, &bflags, NULL, rescan, NULL);
        if (res == SCSI_SCAN_LUN_PRESENT || res == SCSI_SCAN_TARGET_PRESENT) {
                if (scsi_report_lun_scan(starget, bflags, rescan) != 0)

So, if we don't get a response while scanning LUN0, we will not use scsi_report_lun_scan().
On Hyper-V, the scsi emulation on the host does not treat LUN0 as anything special and we
could have situations where the only device under a scsi controller is at a location other than 0
or 1. In this case the standard LUN scanning code in Linux fails to detect this device. Is this
behaviour expected? Why is LUN0 treated differently here. Looking at the scsi spec, I am not sure
if this is what is specified. Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

K. Y

* Re: scanning for LUNs
@ 2013-04-04 15:15 ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2013-04-04 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: K. Y. Srinivasan; +Cc: gregkh, linux-kernel, devel, ohering, hch, linux-scsi

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 08:12 -0700, K. Y. Srinivasan wrote:
> Here is the code snippet for scanning LUNS (drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c in function
> __scsi_scan_target()):
>
>         /*
>          * Scan LUN 0, if there is some response, scan further. Ideally, we
>          * would not configure LUN 0 until all LUNs are scanned.
>          */
>         res = scsi_probe_and_add_lun(starget, 0, &bflags, NULL, rescan, NULL);
>         if (res == SCSI_SCAN_LUN_PRESENT || res == SCSI_SCAN_TARGET_PRESENT) {
>                 if (scsi_report_lun_scan(starget, bflags, rescan) != 0)
>

> So, if we don't get a response while scanning LUN0, we will not use
> scsi_report_lun_scan().
> On Hyper-V, the scsi emulation on the host does not treat LUN0 as
> anything special and we
> could have situations where the only device under a scsi controller is
> at a location other than 0
> or 1. In this case the standard LUN scanning code in Linux fails to
> detect this device. Is this
> behaviour expected? Why is LUN0 treated differently here. Looking at
> the scsi spec, I am not sure
> if this is what is specified. Any help/guidance will be greatly
> appreciated.

Why don't you describe the problem.  We can't scan randomly a bunch of
LUNs hoping for a response (the space is 10^19).  SAM thinks you use
LUNW for this, but that's not well supported.  We can't annoy USB
devices by probing with REPORT LUNS, so conventionally most arrays
return something for LUN0 even if they don't actually have one (That's
what the peripheral qualifier codes are supposed to be about).  We
translate PQ1 and PQ2 to SCSI_SCAN_TARGET_PRESENT, which means no LUN,
but there is a target to scan here.

If you're sending back an error to an INQUIRY to LUN0, then you're out
of spec.  The SCSI standards say:

        SPC3 6.4.1: In response to an INQUIRY command received by an
        incorrect logical unit, the SCSI target device shall return the
        INQUIRY data with the peripheral qualifier set to the value
        defined in 6.4.2. The INQUIRY command shall return CHECK
        CONDITION status only when the device server is unable to return
        the requested INQUIRY data

James

James

* RE: scanning for LUNs
@ 2013-04-04 17:12   ` KY Srinivasan
From: KY Srinivasan @ 2013-04-04 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: gregkh, linux-kernel, devel, ohering, hch, linux-scsi

Thanks James. I will further investigate the issue on our platform.

Regards,

K. Y

> James
>

> James

* Re: scanning for LUNs
@ 2013-04-08 14:42     ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2013-04-08 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KY Srinivasan
  Cc: James Bottomley, gregkh, linux-kernel, devel, ohering, hch, linux-scsi

On 04/04/2013 07:12 PM, KY Srinivasan wrote:

> [...]
Or check if you can use W_LUN for scanning.
I've done a patchset for this (check the mailing list).

Using W_LUN is precisely for this type of setup.

(And would provide me with another scenario for using W_LUNs :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688

* RE: scanning for LUNs
@ 2013-04-08 17:34       ` KY Srinivasan
From: KY Srinivasan @ 2013-04-08 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke
  Cc: James Bottomley, gregkh, linux-kernel, devel, ohering, hch, linux-scsi

Thanks Hannes. What is the status on this patch; is it planned for the next upstream release?

Regards,

K. Y