* Using the mailbox subsystem for plain doorbells?
@ 2016-05-09 23:45 Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2016-05-09 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jassi Brar; +Cc: linux-kernel, Joseph Lo

Jassi,

Does the HW described below sound like something that should be
represented using the Linux kernel's mailbox subsystem, and related DT
bindings? I think the existing drivers/mailbox/pcc.c is similar, but
wanted to double-check.

We have some HW that literally just allows a SW-generated interrupt to
be generated by our main CPU complex to an auxiliary CPU, and likewise a
different interrupt can be generated in the opposite direction. There's
no ability to transfer any data; just an IRQ is generated. Our current
mailbox implementation just handles IRQ generation/reception so struct
mbox_chan_ops.send_data completely ignores the data parameter, and our
IRQ handler "receives" hard-coded NULL messages when the IRQ fires.
Higher level protocol code (using shared memory along with the plain-IRQ
mbox channels) is outside the mailbox driver.

Does that fit the mailbox subsystem?