* iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-07 22:22 Jack Byer
From: Jack Byer @ 2009-10-07 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a CD of a commercial software program that I am attempting to run
under wine. The CD works without problems under Windows, but when I mount
it on linux the file system appears to be empty (no files or
directories). The drive is capable of reading the CD because "strings
/dev/cdrom" works.

What would I need to do in order to troubleshoot this problem?

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-07 23:15 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2009-10-07 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Byer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:22:02 -0500
Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:

> I have a CD of a commercial software program that I am attempting to run
> under wine. The CD works without problems under Windows, but when I mount
> it on linux the file system appears to be empty (no files or
> directories). The drive is capable of reading the CD because "strings
> /dev/cdrom" works.
>
> What would I need to do in order to troubleshoot this problem?

Firstly check what occurs if you mount it by hand with -t iso9660 and
with -t udf. Secondly check dmesg for any diagnostics from the mount such
as corrupt metadata on the CD.

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-07 23:18 ` Paul Hartman
From: Paul Hartman @ 2009-10-07 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
> I have a CD of a commercial software program that I am attempting to run
> under wine. The CD works without problems under Windows, but when I mount
> it on linux the file system appears to be empty (no files or
> directories). The drive is capable of reading the CD because "strings
> /dev/cdrom" works.
>
> What would I need to do in order to troubleshoot this problem?

Maybe try mounting with the "-o unhide" option. Or maybe it is a
multi-session disc?

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-07 23:30   ` Jack Byer
From: Jack Byer @ 2009-10-07 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:22:02 -0500
> Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a CD of a commercial software program that I am attempting to run
>> under wine. The CD works without problems under Windows, but when I mount
>> it on linux the file system appears to be empty (no files or
>> directories). The drive is capable of reading the CD because "strings
>> /dev/cdrom" works.
>>
>> What would I need to do in order to troubleshoot this problem?
>
> Firstly check what occurs if you mount it by hand with -t iso9660 and
> with -t udf. Secondly check dmesg for any diagnostics from the mount such
> as corrupt metadata on the CD.

It will not mount as UDF:

UDF-fs: No VRS found
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)

As iso9660:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

dmesg:

ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
ISO 9660 Extensions: IEEE_P1282

I tried this on three different machines all with the same result.

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-07 23:42   ` Jack Byer
From: Jack Byer @ 2009-10-07 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
>> I have a CD of a commercial software program that I am attempting to run
>> under wine. The CD works without problems under Windows, but when I mount
>> it on linux the file system appears to be empty (no files or
>> directories). The drive is capable of reading the CD because "strings
>> /dev/cdrom" works.
>>
>> What would I need to do in order to troubleshoot this problem?
>
> Maybe try mounting with the "-o unhide" option. Or maybe it is a
> multi-session disc?

-o unhide does not help. Can a factory-pressed disc be multisession? It's
not a CD-R

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-08  5:55     ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2009-10-08  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Byer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
>>> I have a CD of a commercial software program that I am attempting to run
>>> under wine. The CD works without problems under Windows, but when I mount
>>> it on linux the file system appears to be empty (no files or
>>> directories). The drive is capable of reading the CD because "strings
>>> /dev/cdrom" works.
>>>
>>> What would I need to do in order to troubleshoot this problem?
>>
>> Maybe try mounting with the "-o unhide" option. Or maybe it is a
>> multi-session disc?
>
> -o unhide does not help. Can a factory-pressed disc be multisession? It's
> not a CD-R

Could you post the header part of the cd? ie:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=header bs=1k count=32

Regards
dave

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-08 10:31       ` Jack Byer
From: Jack Byer @ 2009-10-08 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Could you post the header part of the cd? ie:
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=header bs=1k count=32

[-- Attachment #2: header --]

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-08 10:51         ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2009-10-08 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Byer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
>> Could you post the header part of the cd? ie:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=header bs=1k count=32

Sorry, my mistake, getting the meta data we need at least 64k.

Could you send again the header?

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=header bs=1k count=64

--
Regards
dave

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-08 11:40           ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2009-10-08 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Byer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Dave Young <hidave.darkstar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
>>> Could you post the header part of the cd? ie:
>>>
>>> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=header bs=1k count=32
>>>

> Sorry, my mistake, getting the meta data we need at least 64k.
>
> Could you send again the header?
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=header bs=1k count=64

>From your previous 32k header, run `strings header` got:
Apple_partition_map
HDiscRecording 4.0.3d3
Apple_HFS
Apple
Apple_partition_map

So it must be an apple hfs disc, (or hybrid disc?).
Maybe you may try mount it as hfs, this problem is not relevant to iso9660.

--
Regards
dave

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-08 16:08     ` Paul Hartman
From: Paul Hartman @ 2009-10-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
>>> I have a CD of a commercial software program that I am attempting to run
>>> under wine. The CD works without problems under Windows, but when I mount
>>> it on linux the file system appears to be empty (no files or
>>> directories). The drive is capable of reading the CD because "strings
>>> /dev/cdrom" works.
>>>
>>> What would I need to do in order to troubleshoot this problem?
>>
>> Maybe try mounting with the "-o unhide" option. Or maybe it is a
>> multi-session disc?
>
> -o unhide does not help. Can a factory-pressed disc be multisession? It's
> not a CD-R

Yes (for example "Enhanced CDs" which contain both audio and data
tracks). I think the default on MS Windows is to mount the last
session on the disc. You should be able to use mount paramater "-o
session=x" with x being the session number you want to mount.

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-08 20:52           ` Jack Byer
From: Jack Byer @ 2009-10-08 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2009-10-09  0:23             ` Jack Byer
From: Jack Byer @ 2009-10-09  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: linux-kernel

> So it must be an apple hfs disc, (or hybrid disc?).
> Maybe you may try mount it as hfs, this problem is not relevant to iso9660.

I can mount the disc as hfsplus but it shows the OS X contents instead
of the Windows contents.

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-09 21:44               ` Paul Hartman
From: Paul Hartman @ 2009-10-09 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Jack Byer <ojbyer@usa.net> wrote:
>> So it must be an apple hfs disc, (or hybrid disc?).
>> Maybe you may try mount it as hfs, this problem is not relevant to iso9660.
>
> I can mount the disc as hfsplus but it shows the OS X contents instead
> of the Windows contents.

Looks like Rosetta Stone :) and i think it is hybrid HFS/iso9660. I
can see windows-related filenames in the sample you uploaded, so we
know they are out there somewhere. Maybe try this in your mount
options (thanks google):

mount -t iso9660 -o norock,map=off

Also, if that doesn't work, do you have CONFIG_JOLIET=y in your kernel
.config? Maybe it's needed...

* Re: iso9660 mount problem
@ 2009-10-08 13:32 Jack Byer
From: Jack Byer @ 2009-10-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: linux-kernel

>So it must be an apple hfs disc, (or hybrid disc?).
>Maybe you may try mount it as hfs, this problem is not relevant to iso9660.

I have tested this disc on my Windows XP machine at work and it has no
problems reading it. The program supports Windows and OS X so it is probably a
hybrid disc. I can try mounting as hfs at home tonight as well as extracting
the rest of the metadata.

If I am able to mount as hfs I don't know how much good that will do unless it
is possible to run OS X programs under linux.