* [Question] Are the trace APIs declared by "TRACE_EVENT(irq_handler_entry" allowed to be used in Ko?
@ 2018-09-12  2:08 Leizhen (ThunderTown)
From: Leizhen (ThunderTown) @ 2018-09-12  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt, Ingo Molnar, linux-kernel, Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: Kunxun Xie

After patch 7e066fb870fc ("tracepoints: add DECLARE_TRACE() and DEFINE_TRACE()"),
the trace APIs declared by "TRACE_EVENT(irq_handler_entry" can not be directly used
by ko, because it's not explicitly exported by EXPORT_TRACEPOINT_SYMBOL_GPL or
EXPORT_TRACEPOINT_SYMBOL.

Did we miss it? or it's not recommended to be used in ko?

-------------

commit 7e066fb870fcd1025ec3ba7bbde5d541094f4ce1
Author: Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@polymtl.ca>
Date:   Fri Nov 14 17:47:47 2008 -0500

    tracepoints: add DECLARE_TRACE() and DEFINE_TRACE()

    Impact: API *CHANGE*. Must update all tracepoint users.

    Add DEFINE_TRACE() to tracepoints to let them declare the tracepoint
    structure in a single spot for all the kernel. It helps reducing memory
    consumption, especially when declaring a lot of tracepoints, e.g. for
    kmalloc tracing.

    *API CHANGE WARNING*: now, DECLARE_TRACE() must be used in headers for
    tracepoint declarations rather than DEFINE_TRACE(). This is the sane way
    to do it. The name previously used was misleading.

    Updates scheduler instrumentation to follow this API change.

--
Thanks!
BestRegards

* Re: [Question] Are the trace APIs declared by "TRACE_EVENT(irq_handler_entry" allowed to be used in Ko?
@ 2018-09-12  3:54 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2018-09-12  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leizhen (ThunderTown)
  Cc: Ingo Molnar, linux-kernel, Mathieu Desnoyers, Kunxun Xie

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 10:08:37 +0800
"Leizhen (ThunderTown)" <thunder.leizhen@huawei.com> wrote:

> After patch 7e066fb870fc ("tracepoints: add DECLARE_TRACE() and DEFINE_TRACE()"),
> the trace APIs declared by "TRACE_EVENT(irq_handler_entry" can not be directly used
> by ko, because it's not explicitly exported by EXPORT_TRACEPOINT_SYMBOL_GPL or
> EXPORT_TRACEPOINT_SYMBOL.
>
> Did we miss it? or it's not recommended to be used in ko?

Why do you need it. This patch is almost 10 years old, and you are just
now finding an issue with it?

-- Steve