* (no subject)
@ 2005-02-03  0:17 Aleksey Gorelov
From: Aleksey Gorelov @ 2005-02-03  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stern, mdharm-usb; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Matt, Alan,

  Could you please tell me (link would do) why it makes default
delay_use=5
really necessary (from the patch below)?
https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pipermail/usb-storage/2004-August/00074
7.html

It makes USB boot really painfull and slow :(

  I understand there should be a good reason for it. I've tried to find
an answer in
archives, without much success though.

Thanks,
Aleks.

* Re: your mail
@ 2005-02-03  1:12 ` Matthew Dharm
From: Matthew Dharm @ 2005-02-03  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksey Gorelov; +Cc: stern, linux-kernel

It's basically just like the code says.

A lot of devices choke if you access them too quickly after enumeration.
The 5 second delay seems to be enough for most devices.  But we made it
adjustable exactly for people like you.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

Now payink attention, please.  This is mouse.  Click-click. Easy to
use, da? Now you try...
					-- Pitr to Miranda
User Friendly, 10/11/1998

* Re: your mail
@ 2005-02-03 16:03 ` Alan Stern
From: Alan Stern @ 2005-02-03 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksey Gorelov; +Cc: mdharm-usb, linux-kernel

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Aleksey Gorelov wrote:

> Hi Matt, Alan,
>
>   Could you please tell me (link would do) why it makes default
> delay_use=5
> really necessary (from the patch below)?
> https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pipermail/usb-storage/2004-August/00074
> 7.html
>
> It makes USB boot really painfull and slow :(
>
>   I understand there should be a good reason for it. I've tried to find
> an answer in
> archives, without much success though.

Lots of devices don't need that delay, but enough of them do that we
decided to add it.  The value of 5 seconds was more or less arbitrary; it
was long enough for every device we could test and it didn't seem _too_
long.  Maybe 1 second would be long enough -- we just didn't know so we
were conservative.

Alan Stern