From: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com>
To: Lukasz Majewski <lukma@denx.de>, Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@gmail.com>
Cc: Fugang Duan <fugang.duan@nxp.com>,
	"David S . Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>,
	Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>,
	netdev@vger.kernel.org, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>,
	Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com>,
	Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@gmail.com>,
	NXP Linux Team <linux-imx@nxp.com>,
	linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, Peng Fan <peng.fan@nxp.com>,
	stefan.agner@toradex.com, krzk@kernel.org,
	Shawn Guo <shawnguo@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/4] net: l2switch: Provide support for L2 switch on i.MX28 SoC
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 20:34:55 -0800	[thread overview]

On 11/27/2020 4:33 PM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
>> So why use DSA at all? What benefit does it bring you? Why not do the
>> entire switch configuration from within FEC, or a separate driver very
>> closely related to it?
>
> Mine rationale to use DSA and FEC:
> - Make as little changes to FEC as possible

Which is entirely possible if you stick to Vladimir suggestions of
exporting services for the MTIP switch driver.

> - Provide separate driver to allow programming FDB, MDB, VLAN setup.
>   This seems straightforward as MTIP has separate memory region (from
>   FEC) for switch configuration, statistics, learning, static table
>   programming. What is even more bizarre FEC and MTIP have the same 8
>   registers (with different base address and +4 offset :-) ) as
>   interface to handle DMA0 transfers.

OK, not sure how that is relevant here? The register organization should
never ever dictate how to pick a particular subsystem.

> - According to MTIP description from NXP documentation, there is a
>   separate register for frame forwarding, so it _shall_ also fit into
>   DSA.

And yet it does not, Vladimir went into great length into explaining
what makes the MTIP + dual FEC different here and why it does not
qualify for DSA. Basically any time you have DMA + integrated switch
tightly coupled you have what we have coined a "pure switchdev" wrapper.

> For me it would be enough to have:
>
> - lan{12} - so I could enable/disable it on demand (control when switch
>   ports are passing or not packets).
>
> - Use standard net tools (like bridge) to setup FDB/MDB, vlan
>
> - Read statistics from MTIP ports (all of them)
>
> - I can use lan1 (bridged or not) to send data outside. It would be
>   also correct to use eth0.

You know you can do that without having DSA, right? Look at mlxsw, look
at rocker. You can call multiple times register_netdevice() with custom
network devices that behave differently whether HW bridging offload is
offered or not, whether the switch is declared in Device Tree or not.

> I'm for the most pragmatic (and simple) solution, which fulfill above
> requirements.

The most pragmatic solution is to implement switchdev operations to
offer HW bridging offload, VLAN programming, FDB/MDB programming.

It seems to me that you are trying to look for a framework to avoid
doing a bit of middle layer work between switchdev and the FEC driver
and that is not setting you for success.
--
Florian