* AIO operation and CMSG
@ 2018-01-14  8:01 Stephan Müller
From: Stephan Müller @ 2018-01-14  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I am working on the user space library providing a wrapper to the AF_ALG user
space interface [1]. The AF_ALG interface supports asynchronous operation
which is utilized with the io_* system calls, including io_submit. All works
as expected.

The syscall io_submit sends data to the kernel and invokes the respective
handler function in the kernel such as the recvmsg handler. What I am
wondering is whether there is a way to send CMSG data along with the io_submit
syscall? If not, is CMSG handling with the AIO syscalls possible at all?

Thank you very much.

[1] http://www.chronox.de/libkcapi.html

Ciao
Stephan

* Re: AIO operation and CMSG
@ 2018-01-17 19:22 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-01-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Müller; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel, linux-aio, netdev

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 09:01:00AM +0100, Stephan Müller wrote:
> The syscall io_submit sends data to the kernel and invokes the respective
> handler function in the kernel such as the recvmsg handler. What I am
> wondering is whether there is a way to send CMSG data along with the io_submit
> syscall? If not, is CMSG handling with the AIO syscalls possible at all?

Not as-is, but it could be easily added by repurposing unused fields
in the iocb.  The big question is if it should be done to the existing
IOCB_CMD_PREADV/IOCB_CMD_PWRITEV types, or if new SENDMSG/RECVMSG ones
should be added instead.

Also you really want to Cc the relevant lists, I've only accidentally
seen this on linux-kernel.

> Thank you very much.
>
> [1] http://www.chronox.de/libkcapi.html
>
> Ciao
> Stephan

---end quoted text---

* Re: AIO operation and CMSG
@ 2018-01-18  7:32   ` Stephan Mueller
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2018-01-18  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel, linux-aio, netdev

Am Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018, 20:22:13 CET schrieb Christoph Hellwig:

Hi Christoph,

> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 09:01:00AM +0100, Stephan Müller wrote:
> > The syscall io_submit sends data to the kernel and invokes the respective
> > handler function in the kernel such as the recvmsg handler. What I am
> > wondering is whether there is a way to send CMSG data along with the
> > io_submit syscall? If not, is CMSG handling with the AIO syscalls
> > possible at all?
> Not as-is, but it could be easily added by repurposing unused fields
> in the iocb.  The big question is if it should be done to the existing
> IOCB_CMD_PREADV/IOCB_CMD_PWRITEV types, or if new SENDMSG/RECVMSG ones
> should be added instead.

Thank you for the clarification. I think for the moment we have found another
solution that we are discussing at linux-crypto. Therefore, I would currently
not see the need for an additional support of CMSG in AIO.

Ciao
Stephan