* Does anyone run AXFS in 2.4 version of kernel ? I am trying my best to apply AXFS patches into 2.4.18
@ 2008-05-09 16:19 Bob Zhang
From: Bob Zhang @ 2008-05-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

AXFS is a XIP file system , compared with linear XIP CRAMFS , it is
better in efficiency and speed .

Anyone is doing this work ? Can you share with me ?

Thanks ,

Currently , I have compiled AXFS_inode.c successfully , and compiling
the AXFS_super.c , I feel that maybe I can be successful .Good luck .

Best Regards,
Bob

* Re: Does anyone run AXFS in 2.4 version of kernel ? I am trying my best to apply AXFS patches into 2.4.18
@ 2008-05-12 16:23 ` Jared Hulbert
From: Jared Hulbert @ 2008-05-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Zhang; +Cc: linux-kernel

> AXFS is a XIP file system , compared with linear XIP CRAMFS , it is
>  better in efficiency and speed .

Thanks!  I agree.

>  Anyone is doing this work ? Can you share with me ?

Yeah.  I got a copy that works on 2.4.21-ish Montavista CEE like kernels.

I just haven't got around to posting the patches.  Okay, Okay.  You
are the third person to ask.  I'll update sourceforge and repost here.

* Re: Does anyone run AXFS in 2.4 version of kernel ? I am trying my best to apply AXFS patches into 2.4.18
@ 2008-05-14  0:46   ` Bob Zhang
From: Bob Zhang @ 2008-05-14  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jared Hulbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

> >  Anyone is doing this work ? Can you share with me ?
>
> Yeah.  I got a copy that works on 2.4.21-ish Montavista CEE like kernels.
>
> I just haven't got around to posting the patches.  Okay, Okay.  You
> are the third person to ask.  I'll update sourceforge and repost here.

thanks for your work . we look forward your paches for 2.4.21 or
2.4.18 or other 2.4.x . thanks again .
In the meantime , I am compiling axfs patches in 2.4.18 .My policy is
that I basicly don't changed the AXFS code , and only add some
functions existed in 2.6.x into 2.4 kernel ,if necessary , I will
modify it . Thus , I think such working is not rather difficult ,
anyway , I am
analysing the implement of AXFS code , if necessary , I will modify
some functions of axfs.

 Till now , AXFS_super.c has been almost ok . Next ,I will compile
other axfs code and check some errors and warnning , and run the
kernel in the skyeye which supported smdk2410 .

@ 2008-05-14  1:01     ` Jared Hulbert
       [not found]       ` <85e7c2fc0805190842v6ee5f4f3jef7790b0fa459a21@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jared Hulbert @ 2008-05-14  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Zhang; +Cc: linux-kernel

> thanks for your work . we look forward your paches for 2.4.21 or
>  2.4.18 or other 2.4.x . thanks again .
>  In the meantime , I am compiling axfs patches in 2.4.18 .My policy is
>  that I basicly don't changed the AXFS code , and only add some
>  functions existed in 2.6.x into 2.4 kernel ,if necessary , I will
>  modify it . Thus , I think such working is not rather difficult ,
>  anyway , I am
>  analysing the implement of AXFS code , if necessary , I will modify
>  some functions of axfs.
>
>   Till now , AXFS_super.c has been almost ok . Next ,I will compile
>  other axfs code and check some errors and warnning , and run the
>  kernel in the skyeye which supported smdk2410 .

You're free to mess around with that if you want, but what I'm going
to release will make that a waste of time.  It's significantly
updated.

@ 2008-06-16 14:20         ` Bob Zhang
From: Bob Zhang @ 2008-06-16 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jared Hulbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello Jaredeh,

     First , I admire your devotion to AXFS , you are a great
programmer worth respecting , we pay you a great reverence and pay
homage to your genius on file system . I think AXFS is a huge
contribution to open source.

Now , I could run AXFS in 2.4.21 kernel by skyeye simulator supported
PXA platform . I modified some parts of linux2.4.21 code related with
memory management and ad justed some interfaces of AXFS code to fit
for 2.4, ,once XIP is OK , I will submit my patch.
Till now , all files in the AXFS rootfs image are compressed , they
are working OK . I can run "ls" , "ifconfig" and so on.

But I can't these files run directly XIP , I need your help to configure them .
I am puzzled for how to make files and pages are of XIP not compressed .

In your AXFS howto http://axfs.sourceforge.net/wordpress/?page_id=19
To use AXFS you must follow these steps:

» 1. pre patch kernel
» 2. use patchin.sh script to install files into kernel
» 3. build kernel with AXFS profiling on
» 4. create fully compressed AXFS image
» 5. run usecases with profiling on and fully compressed image
» 6. extract profile from /proc/axfs/volumeX
» 7. create new partially XIP image using the extracted profile
» 8. build kernel with profiling off
» 9. Enjoy!

For easily debugging , I am in 2.6.18 not 2.4.21 to test your method .

In 2.6.18 , my kernel whose axfs profiling on (make menuconfig) , and

Cat /proc/axfs/volume0 ,I can get

================ cat /proc/axfs/volume0   begin ===================

/ $

/ $ cat /proc/axfs/volume0

./bin/busybox,0,18

./bin/busybox,28672,2

./bin/busybox,53248,4

./bin/busybox,143360,3

./bin/busybox,147456,3

./bin/busybox,151552,8

./bin/busybox,155648,11

./bin/busybox,159744,10

./bin/busybox,163840,14

./bin/busybox,167936,4

./bin/busybox,204800,3

./bin/busybox,233472,13

./bin/busybox,237568,13

./bin/busybox,241664,13

./bin/busybox,245760,13

./bin/busybox,249856,3

./bin/busybox,253952,13

./bin/busybox,258048,2

./bin/busybox,262144,2

./bin/busybox,266240,2

./bin/busybox,270336,2

./bin/busybox,274432,2

./bin/busybox,278528,2

./bin/busybox,282624,13

./bin/busybox,286720,1

./bin/busybox,290816,1

./bin/busybox,294912,1

./bin/busybox,303104,1

./bin/busybox,307200,1

./bin/busybox,315392,1

./bin/busybox,339968,4

./bin/busybox,348160,2

./bin/busybox,376832,2

./bin/busybox,380928,15

./bin/busybox,413696,14

./bin/busybox,417792,14

./bin/busybox,421888,13

./bin/busybox,425984,19

./bin/busybox,430080,12

./bin/busybox,434176,7

./bin/busybox,438272,20

./bin/busybox,442368,20

./bin/busybox,446464,15

./bin/busybox,450560,11

./bin/busybox,454656,9

./bin/busybox,466944,11

./bin/busybox,471040,11

./bin/busybox,475136,10

./bin/busybox,479232,2

./bin/busybox,483328,18

./bin/busybox,487424,3

./bin/busybox,491520,10

./bin/busybox,495616,2

./bin/busybox,499712,1

./bin/busybox,503808,13

./bin/busybox,507904,9

./bin/busybox,512000,1

./bin/busybox,516096,2

./bin/busybox,520192,9

./bin/busybox,524288,10

./bin/busybox,528384,7

./bin/busybox,532480,11

./bin/busybox,536576,14

 =================end of cat /proc/axfs/volume0=====================

There are only three columns of outputs ,

>From the source code , this function procfile_read() implement the
proc reading function ,

/* set everything up to print out */

                     len =
                         sprintf(current_buf_ptr,
                                "%s,%lu,%lu \n",
                                name, (unsigned
long)(inode_page_offset * PAGE_SIZE),
                                (profile_data->count));

it will print
./bin/busybox,  507904,         9
filename   page_offset   reference_count

But from your readme of mkfs.axfs.c directory .

You have written that :
Usage Notes

--------------------

1. "./mkfs.axfs [-h] [-i infile] indir outfile"

  -h         print this help
 -i infile  input file of the XIP information
 dirname    root of the directory tree to be compressed
 outfile    output file

About the Input File
--------------------
Input file should be an XML file with specific element name.  See

example_xipfsmap_syntax.xml for an example.
<xipfsmap>
       <file>
             <name>./xxx</name>
              <chunk>
                     <size>aaa</size>
                     <offset>bbb</offset>
              </chunk>
       </file>

</xipfsmap>

 1. Input file is optional.  If the option is not available, the writer will

compress every file.

 I think I need to provide a Input file to tell the mkfs.axfs.c which
files and pages are of XIP .

So I need to provide their names ,size and offset , but "cat
/proc/axfs/volume0" , we can only get

./bin/busybox,  507904,         9

filename   page_offset   reference_count

Would you mind telling me more information or can you give me a fresh
example ? thanks very much!

@ 2008-06-16 14:55       ` Bob Zhang
From: Bob Zhang @ 2008-06-16 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jared Hulbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Jared Hulbert ,

What a pity that I found few document execept axfs code.
Although we can read the source code to get all things that we want to
know as a programmer, a good document is helpfull for understanding
the source code.

I am debugging the AXFS code and researching its implement , I think a
good document is very precious ,but there is no such .

Could you mind please introuducing your architecture design ? Detailed
info will be welcomed .

For example , ext2 file system , we will get a ext2 file system
specification, such as super block , and how to organize the
structures of ext2 , Would you mind please introducing these related
info ?

By the way , have you managed the AXFS specification ? if yes ,many
programmer will join the AXFS group .

Best Regards,
Bob

@ 2008-06-17 14:57           ` Bob Zhang
From: Bob Zhang @ 2008-06-17 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jared Hulbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

Today I carefully read the mkfs.axfs.c , I finally make clear about
the axfs is how to organize the structure ,including the spec of super
,and the content of region , and how to store the file content in
different region are .

Jared Hulber is a great programmer , this is a very complex thing .
I am ready for writing a document about I have known for more newbies for axfs.

----
In fact , yesterday , I asked a stupid question to Jared Hulbert , the
information from /proc/axfs/volume0 is engough to create a valid xml
file .

for example ,from
./bin/busybox,0,18

./bin/busybox,28672,2

./bin/busybox,53248,4

./bin/busybox,143360,3

./bin/busybox,147456,3

./bin/busybox,151552,8

./bin/busybox,155648,11

we can know the page of offset 0 is called 18 times ,compared with
other pages , it should be set XIP.
<xipfsmap>
	<file>
		<name>
			./bin/busybox
		</name>
		<chunk>
			<size>4096</size>
			<offset>0</offset>    //maybe we need convert it from /proc info
		</chunk>
	</file>
</xipfsmap>
the advantage of AXFS is that we can set every page to be XIP , so the
size is certainly 4096. but if we think like this , the size item in
the xml is useless, I think maybe Jared Hulber want to provide some
lazy method to set contiguous pages to be XIP , you don't need to
write some chunk . but I feel that the chance of contiguous pages are
read is not high , so for us , setting every page is enough .

if we want to set many pages to be XIP , we should write many chunk items .

Am I right , Mr Hulbert ?

@ 2008-06-17 15:26             ` Bob Zhang
From: Bob Zhang @ 2008-06-17 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jared Hulbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

Following is what I have known about AXFS implement .If I am not
right, please Jared Hulbert cto correct what I have said.

Honestly speaking , AXFS orgnization is pure complex , and no any
valuable document to help to understand the source code . if you want
to make clear what happned ,it is not easy .

I have spent over 2 days to read the mkfs.axfs.c , this is what I have known .
---
For axfs super block ,the best valuable infomation is some offset of regions ,
axfs image has many regions , such as node_type regions , node_index
regions,especially X
IP region,Compressed region and Byte Aligned region which are the most
important for us.

Important info is that once you have read the superblock into a buffer
head , you can get all the offset info of all regions. thus , you can
get the address of regions in the file image .
once you get the region structure , you can get the "region->fsoffset"
and "region->virt_addr" , the "region->fsoffset" present that the real
location region in the image .
For example , for XIP region , you can get all the pages of data
through "xip_region->fsoffset" . and then through node_index, you can
get responding pages.

Another key parameter is "virt_addr" ,

++++

First ,pages are of XIP or Compressed is decided by mkfs.axfs -i xml.txt
if no the xml.txt provided , mkfs.axfs should compress all the files
in the image by default.

in the main() of mkfs.axfs.c
the axfs will compute the number of files , there are some global
variables to record these .
in function named  parese_directory() it will generate many entries
reponding with these files ,and at last , it will call "is_xipfile()"
function to call "set_page_state" function to set some files and pages
to be XIP if these names occur in the xml file as parameter of
mkfs.axfs -i .

In fact , for XIP files and pages , axfs handling is simple , for
example , I want to set rootfs/init 's 0~4095 bytes to be XIP  ,the
length of block of data must be aligned with PAGE_SIZE .
you can set the
<chunk>
  <size>4096</size>
  <offset>0</offset>
</chunk>

In fact , the data of XIP and that of compressed will be stored
respectively different regions .
for example , a file size is large , you know ,for example ,3MB .
it will have many pages of data , only the XIP pages will be stored
into XIP region
node_index[node_count] = xip_rd.size/PAGE_SIZE . THIS INDEX is valid for XIP

For every page , it will have node_index. this node_index will be
added when parsing the root directory . that is also said that, every
page has its own unique index number . Future , in kernel ,the axfs
code will use it. the kernel axfs code will use some macros to get
detailed infomation about a page , for example , this page is of XIP
or Compressed .

* Re: Does anyone run AXFS in 2.4 version of kernel ? I am trying my best to apply AXFS patches into 2.4.18
@ 2008-06-18 14:43               ` Bob Zhang
From: Bob Zhang @ 2008-06-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jared Hulbert; +Cc: linux-kernel