From: Ozgur Karatas <okaratas@member.fsf.org>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de>
Cc: Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com>, Lv Zheng <lv.zheng@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Question regarding power button of Dell XPS13
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 17:10:18 +0200	[thread overview]

26.12.2016, 00:27, "Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de> wrote:
>>  I heard that you both have a Dell XPS13. I got the “revision” 9360, and
>>  installed Debian Stretch/testing on it with Linux 4.8.15 and Linux 4.9-rc8.
>>
>>  When pressing the power button the GNOME dialog, asking what to do (restart,
>>  power off, …) doesn’t appear.

Hello,

I don't think it's problem about to kernel. The problem related to GNOME .
I used last time and I modified the file "gsd-media-keys-manager.c" file and added the following lines to logind.conf file:

HandlePowerKey=poweroff
PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=yes

This is a out of topic and XPS13 is not good, You also don't use a desktop,
Suggest Openbox :)

> Hmm. I don't recall ever seeing such a dialog. But I don't run Debian.
>
> For me it works like all power buttons on my laptops have worked
> lately - it suspends the machine.
>
> Of course, so does just closing the lid.
>
> The only "bug" I've seen in this area is the design bug of the XPS13
> where there is no visible indication of the suspend state (ie the
> traditional slowly pulsing LED showing that it's all nice and
> suspended). But that seems to be intentional, if stupid. I think it's
> the only real beef I have with the XPS13.
>
>                Linus

Regards,

Ozgur