* RE: Shutdown and power off on a multi-processor machine
@ 2001-08-23 13:05 Matt_Domsch
From: Matt_Domsch @ 2001-08-23 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptb, pozsy; +Cc: linux-kernel

> When things go badly, it just sits there at the "rebooting"
> stage, and needs the red button to be pressed.
>
> The machine that most annoys me in this regard is the dell
> poweredge at which I am sitting ...

Which PowerEdge?  2.4.7-ac11 includes a patch to allow "SMP" reboots
reboot=bios,smp
reboot=bios

and auto-detects the need for that on the PowerEdge 300 and 1300.  SMP
reboots make sure that the reboot code runs on the bootstrap processor.
Please give this at try.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer
#2 Linux Server provider with 17% in the US and 14% Worldwide (IDC)!
#3 Unix provider with 18% in the US (Dataquest)!

* Re: Shutdown and power off on a multi-processor machine
@ 2001-08-23 14:19 Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2001-08-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ledzep37, shawnm, linux-kernel

Compile a kernel with apm support and add the following to your
lilo.conf:

append="apm=power-off"

Alex

---------------------------------

I too am having trouble powering off and rebooting an SMP machine. It
is a Tyan Tiger 230. I have tried to report this a few times with
little to no response. The last kernel that worked for me in this
respect was 2.4.6-ac2. I have tried linus' and alan's kernels both with
no success. I have tried configuring all kernel with APM soft-power
off, real-mode power off (I enable power-off even though the rest of APM
is broken on SMP), ACPI (multiple setups), and nothing at all. None of
these kernel/configuration combos allow me to shutdown or reboot my
machine. I would like to be able to and I know the board still works
because Windows 2000/XP (even though I hate using them) both manage to
shutdown/reboot the machine properly. I have everything I can think of
copiled in statically instead of as modules and also have PNPBIOS enable
in the kernel and the BIOS. Any help would be appreciated.

Jordan

@ 2001-08-23 13:01       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-23 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptb; +Cc: Pozsar Balazs, linux kernel

> The machine that most annoys me in this regard is the dell poweredge at which I am
> sitting ... it's been a long time since I booted 2.2 on it, but I think things
> went better.
>
> The bios has no options vis-a-vis apm, etc.
>
> I have been running all kernels 2.4.0 to 2.4.8. I think 2.4.8 may be a bit better,
> but it needs time to get a feel for the stats.

The -ac kernel tree knows a lot about Dell poweredge and reboot
requirements, courtesy of the nice folks at Dell.

Alan

* Re: Shutdown and power off on a multi-processor machine
@ 2001-08-23  9:45     ` Peter T. Breuer
From: Peter T. Breuer @ 2001-08-23  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pozsar Balazs; +Cc: linux kernel

"A month of sundays ago Pozsar Balazs wrote:"

> I had the same problems, and the only way i could have a poweroff at
> shutdown was to pass the apm=power-off option to the kernel at boot time.
> (e.g. in lilo.conf, have a append="apm=power-off" line.)

I'm also having problems on all my smp machines. I can't reboot reliably from a shutdown,
not even using the software watchdog daemon to help (killall -STOP watchdog), not even
from "reboot", nor from magic-sysreq (though that seems most reliable to me - maybe 80%).
I am currently using apm=power-off on 2.4.6 with about a 50% success rate overall.

When things go badly, it just sits there at the "rebooting" stage, and needs
the red button to be pressed.

The machine that most annoys me in this regard is the dell poweredge at which I am
sitting ... it's been a long time since I booted 2.2 on it, but I think things
went better.

The bios has no options vis-a-vis apm, etc.

I have been running all kernels 2.4.0 to 2.4.8. I think 2.4.8 may be a bit better,
but it needs time to get a feel for the stats.

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Jordan Breeding wrote:
>
> > I too am having trouble powering off and rebooting an SMP machine.  It
> > is a Tyan Tiger 230.  I have tried to report this a few times with
> > little to no response.  The last kernel that worked for me in this
> > respect was 2.4.6-ac2.  I have tried linus' and alan's kernels both with
> > no success.  I have tried configuring all kernel with APM soft-power
> > off, real-mode power off (I enable power-off even though the rest of APM
> > is broken on SMP), ACPI (multiple setups), and nothing at all.  None of
> > these kernel/configuration combos allow me to shutdown or reboot my

> > Shawn McGovern wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a need for a headless machine to power off at the end of shutdown,
> > > but cannot get it to work for smp kernels. I tried 2.2.14, and 2.4.9,
> > > built with smp and apm. If there is a way to make this work, I would

Peter

* Re: Shutdown and power off on a multi-processor machine
@ 2001-08-23  7:29   ` Pozsar Balazs
From: Pozsar Balazs @ 2001-08-23  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Breeding; +Cc: Shawn McGovern, linux-kernel

I had the same problems, and the only way i could have a poweroff at
shutdown was to pass the apm=power-off option to the kernel at boot time.
(e.g. in lilo.conf, have a append="apm=power-off" line.)

Hope that helps,
Balazs Pozsar.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Jordan Breeding wrote:

> I too am having trouble powering off and rebooting an SMP machine.  It
> is a Tyan Tiger 230.  I have tried to report this a few times with
> little to no response.  The last kernel that worked for me in this
> respect was 2.4.6-ac2.  I have tried linus' and alan's kernels both with
> no success.  I have tried configuring all kernel with APM soft-power
> off, real-mode power off (I enable power-off even though the rest of APM
> is broken on SMP), ACPI (multiple setups), and nothing at all.  None of
> these kernel/configuration combos allow me to shutdown or reboot my
> machine.  I would like to be able to and I know the board still works
> because Windows 2000/XP (even though I hate using them) both manage to
> shutdown/reboot the machine properly.  I have everything I can think of
> copiled in statically instead of as modules and also have PNPBIOS enable
> in the kernel and the BIOS.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Jordan
>
> Shawn McGovern wrote:
> >
> > I have a need for a headless machine to power off at the end of shutdown,
> > but cannot get it to work for smp kernels. I tried 2.2.14, and 2.4.9,
> > built with smp and apm. If there is a way to make this work, I would
> > really appreciate any advice. If it cannot be done I would sure like to
> > know that too, so I can stop banging my head on this particular wall.
> > Please send responses to me directly as I am not on this list. TIA.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Shawn
> >
> > -
> > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> -

pozsy

* Re: Shutdown and power off on a multi-processor machine
@ 2001-08-23  1:52 ` Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2001-08-23  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn McGovern; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-08-23  1:35 Shawn McGovern