* RE: Via usb problems...
@ 2001-08-17 16:48 Curtis Bridges
From: Curtis Bridges @ 2001-08-17 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb-devel; +Cc: linux-kernel

Not a problem, I'll have to wait until my version of "the other side of
the story" let's me get at the computer tomorrow morning (I'm at work
now) in order to get the lspci -v to you but until then I have some
updated URL's for you to work with...

Here is the forum where I tracked the symptoms of the problem, there
signal to noise ratio is not the greatest but there might be some
additional information in there that might help you out:
http://www.msi.com.tw/resellers_club/forum/list_article.php?id=1234

Here is the motherboard makers download of the windows driver, I
downloaded it myself to see if there was additional information provided
in the zip but alas, there wasn't a readme in there, just a windows
installer:
http://www.msi.com.tw/support/driver/others.htm

Here is a link to the same driver (I think) on VIA's website.  I didn't
find any discussions on the website discussing the problem:
http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/driver/detail.jsp?hDr_id=12%20%20%20%20&hDr
_os=1&hDr_ver=1.08

As for peripherals, I was experiencing the problem with a Microsoft
Intellimouse Optical:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/optical.asp

I will do some additional tests tomorrow morning (US, EST) when I
provide you the lspci output.  I will try the same mouse in the ps2 slot
as well as some additional usb mice and keyboards.

If there is any additional information or things you would like me to
try, let me know and I would be more than happy to give it a go.  I am a
relative newbie to the low level stuff but I am willing to try anything
you suggest.

Thanks again, Alan.
Curtis

From: Curtis Bridges @ 2001-08-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb-devel; +Cc: linux-kernel

More updates:

I tried this hardware setup (see lspci output below) against kernel
2.4.8 and xfree86 4.1 and now everything behaves like it does in Win2k;
meaning the usb mouse "skips" and stops working for a fraction of a
second about once every 60 seconds.  With earlier kernel/xfree setups
once the mouse skipped for the first time, it would never come back
until I rebooted (since I don't dare mess with /dev stuff too much)

Here is my lspci -v output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3099
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 8
	Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device b099 (prog-if
00 [Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
	I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff
	Memory behind bridge: dde00000-dfefffff
	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: cdc00000-ddcfffff
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:07.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink]
(rev 78)
	Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC
Management NIC
	I/O ports at d800 [size=128]
	Memory at dfffff80 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
	Expansion ROM at dffa0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev
07)
	Subsystem: Ensoniq: Unknown device 8001
	Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
	I/O ports at d400 [size=64]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3074
	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3074
	Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586 IDE [Apollo] (rev
06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586 IDE [Apollo]
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
	I/O ports at ff00 [size=16]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB (rev 18)
(prog-if 00 [UHCI])
	Subsystem: Unknown device 0925:1234
	I/O ports at c800 [size=32]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB (rev 18)
(prog-if 00 [UHCI])
	Subsystem: Unknown device 0925:1234
	I/O ports at cc00 [size=32]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:11.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB (rev 18)
(prog-if 00 [UHCI])
	Subsystem: Unknown device 0925:1234
	I/O ports at d000 [size=32]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 (rev b2)
(prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
	Memory at de000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
	Expansion ROM at dfef0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

> The work-around for the problem is provided by VIA in the form of some
> updated drivers for windows.  It appears to be some sort of usb
filter,
> possibly for low bandwidth USB peripherals.  I suspect this isn't a
> working resolution for most people on this list and I was wondering if
> anyone has been working on this in the kernel?  I might be able to
> provide some more information if it is needed to diagnose and solve
the
> problem...

Can you provide me

1.	The lspci -v info for your box (chip revision etc)
2.	Details ont he updated windows drivers (eg URL for)
3.	The USB devices

> Does VIA have any engineers working on linux drivers?

Directly, I don't believe so. However they do provide contact points for
some of us and have provided workarounds for other bugs. We now have a
mechanism in place for making such requests.

Firstly however I'd like the USB folks to look at the debug and traces
to be
sure this isnt a VIA chip bug. If it is I'll take it up with VIA

* Re: Via usb problems...
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2001-08-17 15:32 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-17 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curtis Bridges; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-usb-devel

> The work-around for the problem is provided by VIA in the form of some
> updated drivers for windows.  It appears to be some sort of usb filter,
> possibly for low bandwidth USB peripherals.  I suspect this isn't a
> working resolution for most people on this list and I was wondering if
> anyone has been working on this in the kernel?  I might be able to
> provide some more information if it is needed to diagnose and solve the
> problem...

Can you provide me

1.	The lspci -v info for your box (chip revision etc)
2.	Details ont he updated windows drivers (eg URL for)
3.	The USB devices

> Does VIA have any engineers working on linux drivers?

Directly, I don't believe so. However they do provide contact points for
some of us and have provided workarounds for other bugs. We now have a
mechanism in place for making such requests.

Firstly however I'd like the USB folks to look at the debug and traces to be
sure this isnt a VIA chip bug. If it is I'll take it up with VIA

* Via usb problems...
@ 2001-08-17 15:17 Curtis Bridges
From: Curtis Bridges @ 2001-08-17 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Please CC me as I am not subscribed to the list. (kernel traffic saves
my inbox)

I just recently purchased a MSI 6380 motherboard and have tried several
distributions and USB was not consistently working on any of them -- to
make a long story short, I found the issue on the MSI tech support site
as being a known problem with the VIA chipset that they are using (and a
lot of other Athlon boards are also using).

It appears that USB will cut out ever couple of seconds and then work
again for windows users.  When it cuts out for me in linux, it never
comes back again.  I can tell as my mouse lights up (its an optical)
when working and when it cuts out in linux, the light goes out
permanently until I reboot the machine.

The work-around for the problem is provided by VIA in the form of some
updated drivers for windows.  It appears to be some sort of usb filter,
possibly for low bandwidth USB peripherals.  I suspect this isn't a
working resolution for most people on this list and I was wondering if
anyone has been working on this in the kernel?  I might be able to
provide some more information if it is needed to diagnose and solve the
problem...

Does VIA have any engineers working on linux drivers?

Thanks for the assistance,
Curtis Bridges
cbridges@confluencenetworks.com <mailto:cbridges@confluencenetworks.com>